2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 51 of 540 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
As long as we are talking about Joplin, can anyone tell me how tough Bethena is? Its on my someday list.

JimF: It's fairly simple compared to some of Joplin's other works, although some other Joplin enthusiasts I've talked to rank it more toward the difficult side. It depends on the player.

I played this toward the end of year 1 of my adult re-starter career, and didn't have nearly as tough a time with it as, say, Maple Leaf rag, which I'm having a very hard time with, but others consider it among his easier rags...again, depends on the player.

It still ranks as my favorite, and it's unique in that it's syncopated in 3/4 time. There are both fast and slow versions out there, depending on your preference, and it sounds nice either way as long as it's "sung" in a melancholy manner. IMO, it's meant to be a sad, reflective rag/waltz. You'll love it! smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I love dropping by to read this thread, although I don't often post any achievements. Just wanted to say hello and my achievement is to make post number 1001 laugh
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by Canonie; 07/16/11 07:57 AM. Reason: applause and cheering

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Indeed, this is a fantastic thread. It's encouraging.

Ops there are not applauding emoticons. In any case, a lot of applauses from me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GracieCat
Have started the second part of Fur Elise...slowly. I didn't like playing the piece at first because it's played all the time. Now I'm really enjoy playing it. Also enjoying prelude. Hope to make it to the end next week.

It's been a TON more fun for me since I left my method book behind. My new teacher pushed me so much further and the music is much more "musical" than what I was learning on. I'm ready to record a few new pieces as soon as I get some quiet time without my kids in the house.

Look forward to hearing the new pieces! thumb

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GracieCat
Have started the second part of Fur Elise...slowly. I didn't like playing the piece at first because it's played all the time. Now I'm really enjoy playing it. Also enjoying prelude. Hope to make it to the end next week.

It's been a TON more fun for me since I left my method book behind. My new teacher pushed me so much further and the music is much more "musical" than what I was learning on. I'm ready to record a few new pieces as soon as I get some quiet time without my kids in the house.

The piece is indeed overplayed, but still beautiful. When I was a kid, my neighbour played this weekly. Though it was the only thing she played. In the beginning I loved it, but after a few years I really hated it. Especially the error she always made. Nonetheless I recently start to learn the piece and I enjoy it too. Way better than hearing it from somebody else.

Chris

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beethoven music is so. Since a while I listen to the Ninth Symphony every morning Sunday. I have this custom. Well, I always find new details in every listening. Beethoven defined the human soul as none has done it.

Playing Beethoven's music is like touching the sky.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Paperclip
The piece (Fur Elise) is indeed overplayed, but still beautiful. When I was a kid, my neighbour played this weekly. Though it was the only thing she played. In the beginning I loved it, but after a few years I really hated it. Especially the error she always made. Nonetheless I recently start to learn the piece and I enjoy it too. Way better than hearing it from somebody else.

Chris

I disagree. I think it's not played enough ...

... but by that I mean the whole thing. Not just the first theme. If you are going to play it, learn the entire piece including the middle two sections which are much harder.

Last edited by Andy Platt; 07/16/11 10:53 PM.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

... but by that I mean the whole thing. Not just the first theme. If you are going to play it, learn the entire piece including the middle two sections which are much harder.

I agree. I went a very long time without knowing there was more to it than the first theme, and I know I'm not alone.

Well, it's been a week since I started keeping a log. I think it's helped a lot. Revisiting older Hanon pieces has helped a lot, and writing down the ones I did that day encourage me to do more the next day. I also write down where I was headed that day in practice with certain trouble areas(sometimes I forget!). If nothing else, writing what's what with each piece helps me see how close I am to really finishing it. I'm thisclose to finishing Barcarolle (from Tales of Hoffman) by Offenbach, and some grace notes (and my hesitations going into them) away from finishing Yiruma's River Flows in You.

Over 1000 AOTW entries... that's a lot of accomplishments. Here's to 1000 more!

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Had a very good lesson yesterday. My teacher is so understanding to my situation (travelling all the time). So she gave me an hour lesson on Saturday (her normal day off). Bless her. Not sure if its achievement related but I heard that the piano score from the movie "King's Speech" is already published. She said the arrongement is really good. Has anyone already bought it? Do you know we can buy it in the States?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The last weekend I’ve stayed alone in home, so I’ve had a lot of hours to practice. And I’ve been very well accompanied by the members of Adult Beginners.

I have got to play the Fantasia nº 2 by Telemann. It has been very hard for me. The piece has no internal repetitions, and the last nine bars are fiendishly difficult, at least for me.

I’m not able still to play the Fantasia at tempo (Presto). I play it at allegro, but I like it. I hope that Mr Telemann forgives me. After all, the piece is a fantasy smile.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl, your life seems exciting, travelling all the time and playing Rachmaninov in many places. You are lucky. I'd also like to do that!.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cathy - Thanks for the Bethena info. I've never really done anything with my teacher that focused on octaves, although my abortive self-taught "play along with Hugh Sung" attempt at Claire de Lune would qualify. My plan is to talk to her about it this week, looking to take it on some time in the Fall. I will be sure to find the recital examples for a listen, thanks.

CebuKid -
meant to be a sad, reflective rag/waltz
That's exactly what attracts me, kind of a different feel than most of the ragtime music I've heard. The recording I have comes in at just under 8 minutes, which I'm assuming is one of the slower versions.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
wj3 Offline
JimF, Ive been working on an easier version of Bethena from "Simply Joplin" arranged by Mary Sallee. It might be a little easier to start with. I thought I would start with easier versions and then move on to the Originals.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Recaredo, that piece of Telemann is very beautiful. It's great that you can play it. I wonder how it sounds allegro style.

While reading the messages from Farmgirl, I decided to keep my old pieces alive by playing it weekly. I just need a way not to forget them. So I listened to AimeeO and I think keeping a log is a great idea.

But I don't want to write much each time after practise. So I decided to make a word document with the names of the pieces of my reportoire in it. Then I only have to put a cross in front of the piece when I practised it. It's also good for logging scales and excersises I want to do once a week.

I will print the document and put it in my map together with my sheets. Each week I print a new one.

CasinItaly: nice to hear you have the cd's with discount!

Chris

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Paperclip, my playing on the Fantasia sounds clearly worse than playing it at Presto. But it sounds still nice to me, maybe more melancholic.

CasinItaly, I forgot to comment it, Alicia de Larrocha was one of the best pianists on Spanish music. You made a very good choice.

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Paperclip: Glad the log is helpful. Good idea with the word document. It can be a bit time consuming writing things down.

Recaredo: I'd never heard the Fantasia before. I pulled it up and I like it! Good luck with it.

It's neat to hear what everyone's working on, because you get exposed to so much you might not have heard otherwise.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Recaredo
FarmGirl, your life seems exciting, travelling all the time and playing Rachmaninov in many places. You are lucky. I'd also like to do that!.

+1 to that, I love hearing about your adventures, FarmGirl!

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Ricardo and Lain, thanks for your comments. Personaly, I think it's probably better to be able to stay in one place. But it's true, my life is exciting, sometimes just a bit too much. I now have to go to NY and Tronto in August. NY is covered. I know where I can practice. I have to find a piano to play in Tronto (sigh!).

There's a certain amount of delayed reaction in people's face when i start.. "Hi, my name is xxxx, I'm from Arizona. No, no, no.. I am not selling anything. Can I play the piano over there? Ahhhhh I want to practice.. No I am not a professional.. In fact I am not even decent!! Very very bad. You know, I've been on the road a lot. I just like piano and miss practicing! Can you allow me to play". Then I wait in an unspeakable awkwardness until mild and often warm recognition spread across people's faces..

Maybe because it's a challenge every time, after practice, oh boy, I feel good. I am in such heaven that i wanna dance my version of Elaine dance (Recall Seinfeld?) in front of everyone.. Not a pretty sight though.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I am in such heaven that i wanna dance my version of Elaine dance (Recall Seinfeld?) in front of everyone.. Not a pretty sight though.

ha

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Recaredo, I think you have the soul of a poet! I understand what you say about hearing something new in a piece that you listen to regularly. I find that since I started playing the piano I hear music very differently - I seem to be able to listen "better" , more "fluently" - it is very exciting.
Thanks for the compliment on my choice of Alicia de Larrocha as the pianist for the new cds, but to be honest I hear about her HERE, so I knew what to look for smile smile smile

On the Fur Elise piece..... I agree that it is played too much, and not enough. smile Too much and too badly but only the first part, which is all I ever knew existed until Andy put a link up in one of the cardboardanna threads - who knew??? I would love to hear more performances of the whole piece.

Also as a sidebar... apparently it may have been Fur Therese and copied incorrectly.....
however, there is an interesting note about how the first three notes are a musical "scherzo" (joke) and could be interpreted as representing Elise...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%BCr_Elise

Trapper John, glad you are enjoying the ambiance here - why not become a regular?
I loved the link you posted, Rachel York has a lovely voice indeed.

I don't have any significant AOTW ...I continue to make baby steps with my Beethoven. I suppose the upside about making such slow progress is that with all the repetitions I'm doing, I'm certainly fixing it in my brain and it will be firmly memorized by the time I've learned it all.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Page 51 of 540 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission