2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
A family I teach for, they have this baby grand. Every week when I come the lid is open, so I think it stays that way. Should I get them to close it when not being played to keep the dust out?

does anyone ever clean inside? What would you recommend?

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of who tuned their piano, and I did not, and have no intention of, quoting them how much a tuning costs. wink Just so we're clear.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You made me smile. smile

I would recommend keeping the lid closed when the piano is not in use. If it remains open for many years, it will warp then it won't close. I ran into a Kimball grand, about, oh, 6'6" maybe that did this. The lid was never shut. When I tried closing it all the way, it was so warped, it wasn't even come close to closing. Plus, it helps a LOT to keep it cleaner inside when it closed. Sure, it's more work but, hey, it's exercise too! smile

Yes, we do clean inside. I even tell the customer to GENTLY showing them how to, clean inside of the piano telling them to leave the dampers and strings alone. If they must clean the dampers, I show them how to clean them without damaging them. It's pretty easy.

It's nice that you come to the house. That kind of teacher seems to be a dying breed. I don't know of anyone around here that does that anymore.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Yes, absolutely! Sure, it may not look as elegant, but I've done this with my grand for the past 10 years, and it has, to this day, not needed an interior cleaning. Based on anecdotal evidence, it also seems to keep pianos in tune longer.

You could also recommend a string cover if they insist on keeping the lid up: http://edwardsstringcovers.com/

For interior cleaning, I like the Spurlock Tools: http://www.spurlocktools.com/id32.htm

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for the tips and the info. I will pass them on.

S
S
Because of the high humidity in my area, I usually recommend leaving the piano open if there is not a Dampp Chaser, and closed if there is one. That mold can sometimes do a permanent job on an older finish. The stuff has roots.

piano tuner/technician
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
We don't really get humidity here. Not hot enough.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
You made me smile. smile

I would recommend keeping the lid closed when the piano is not in use. If it remains open for many years, it will warp then it won't close. I ran into a Kimball grand, about, oh, 6'6" maybe that did this. The lid was never shut. When I tried closing it all the way, it was so warped, it wasn't even come close to closing. Plus, it helps a LOT to keep it cleaner inside when it closed. Sure, it's more work but, hey, it's exercise too! smile ...

Brilliant! This is the best argument I've ever heard for keeping the lid down.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
It seems that the danger of warping the lid depends on the piano and/or lid material.

My 1961 Yamaha G7 has been completely open for most of it's life and whenever I do close it (rarely) it is not warped in any way.

I'm sure that it does get dusty inside quicker.

If someone asked me, in spite of my experience, I would probably recommend closing it most of the time.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My wife and I had the discussion about the lid being up or down before we got married. We couldn't really agree, so I said that we would always put it all the way down or I would take the lid off completely. THAT got her attention. Now that's what we do, and there hasn't been a problem. Oh, someday we may get a grand piano and we'll have to have a discussion about that lid, too...

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
My wife and I had the discussion about the lid being up or down before we got married. We couldn't really agree, so I said that we would always put it all the way down or I would take the lid off completely. THAT got her attention. Now that's what we do, and there hasn't been a problem. Oh, someday we may get a grand piano and we'll have to have a discussion about that lid, too...

Gee, Jeff, if I didn't know any better, and, maybe I don't, I would have thought you were talking about the toilet seat lid!!! ha

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner

Good to see you got the important issues sorted before getting married. Lots of folks don't really bother with the piano-lid pre-nup. wink

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
My wife insists on keeping the lid down when it's not in use. It kinda overwhelms the room when it's open -- the piano, that is.... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission