2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jame334 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have learned piano for a number of years and I have always loved organ music, so I thought that maybe I should get in contact with our local church to let me practice on their organ. I have never played an organ and we don't have any teachers here either.

Is it possible to learn the organ on myself, even though I have no experience with it?
The main thing that worries me is the levers.

If this is an accessible goal, then how would I be of contacting our local church of this?

EDIT: I am continuously learning the piano.

Last edited by Jame334; 07/03/11 02:37 PM.
Churches will be reluctant to allow non-members use of their organ to learn on. It would be easier to approach a church that you belong to and have some history with. It isn't easy to learn organ without an instructor but it isn't impossible either, there are many Organ method books available to help you, and also Allen has some videos available to help people go from piano to organ that are very good.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
grab a copy of Dickerson's the technique and art of organ playing and read it - 3.99 on ebay

it is full of great info.. all you'll need to know. plan on studying organ at school or with a teacher.. volunteer to play for services when you are ready.

I am an organist and LOVE it.. it is so much fun. You really have to concentrate on the feet when you first start.. it's difficult to pick up facility. Some electrics have bass couplers which copy the bottom notes of the left hand and 'play' them on the pedal stops you have selected.. pretty good sound.

No it is not hard to go from piano to organ but it takes study and practice time.. I adore it and make great money playing services. It's definitely a great way to supplement your income and there is a need for organists.. not many people do it any more.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
I bought an old church organ.. electric with a full pedal board - delivered .. for 600 bucks. (i do have connections, but there are some out there)., It really is difficult finding a place to practice.. churches are busy and unnecessarily protective of their instruments.. they shouldn't be.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by apple*
churches are busy and unnecessarily protective of their instruments.. they shouldn't be.

On the one hand, keeping the organ so secure means we're not training the next generation when they're young, and organists are hard to find.

On the other hand, many churches including mine are struggling to afford routine upkeep, and would be in deep trouble if some visitor broke the organ (spilled his coffee into the guts, etc.) It's not like you can roll in the spare from the other room.

gotta go practice
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The biggest difference is in touch - there is no sustain or sostenuto pedal. I find most of the best organists are also pianists. The late Virgil Fox said at a masterclass that it was essential for an organist to practise difficult passages on a piano - not all organists would necessarily agree, but I've always done that. One way of preparing for organ is to try playing the piano without the sustain pedal at all - substituting fingers to enable a good legato.

The pedals are relatively easy - get a tutor, and work through the exercises.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
W
W
Originally Posted by RayE
Allen has some videos available to help people go from piano to organ that are very good.

I am in a similar boat as the original poster - can someone expound on this comment?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by WiFlag
Originally Posted by RayE
Allen has some videos available to help people go from piano to organ that are very good.

I am in a similar boat as the original poster - can someone expound on this comment?

Google Allen Organ Company, oh heck;

http://allenorgan.com/www/video/index.html

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 09/13/12 09:36 AM. Reason: delete snarky comment

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
W
W
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler

Google Allen Organ

Yeah that's the first thing I did, and I found the page you linked - but those videos appear to be demos on the use of organs, not instructions on how a pianist can become an organist. Am I missing something, or just misunderstanding your original post?

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
If you have a digital piano at home, you could connect via MIDI a pedal board to it. But the pedal board should not be much bigger than 1 octave, because it should have to be placed alongside the 3 piano pedals which are often fixed mounted to the cabinet of a digital piano.

You additionally could (but not necessarily) connect a software with sampled organ sounds running on a PC-Notebook to the digital piano, because internal organ sounds might not be of good quality on the digital piano.

So far the theory.
Now, would anybody have a recommendation for such Pedal-Board and for such Organ-Sound-Software?

V
V
Originally Posted by Marco M

So far the theory.
Now, would anybody have a recommendation for such Pedal-Board and for such Organ-Sound-Software?

http://www.hauptwerk.com/

http://www.allenorgan.com/www/store/video/aoc-031-00092.html

These are the videos I was referring to they are actually organ instruction videos that Allen has for sale, if you go to thier website, and go to the Link to the Allen store you will find them there.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
@Vectistim: Thanks!!
Uffff, I found that good pedals seem to cost at least 700 EUR.

V
V
If you're up for DIY there are kits available where you can get an old pedalboard from some abandoned church organ or dead Hammond or somesuch and MIDIfi it yourself.

Here's the first example I found on youtube of someone building one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_HH3VqhNM

If you browse through the Hauptwerk forums you'll find lots of useful stuff including people building their own machines. (I have seen a better video, which was probably on there somewhere)

Personally I haven't shoved pedals on mine at home (yet) I just have my digital piano with a cheap MIDI keyboard off ebay above it, with the two plugged into the computer via USB.

I then have a selection of the free organs (and a pretty decent harpsichord) that I will play around with. A friend of mine has a rather more complete setup and has actually purchased Hauptwerk rather than running the free version and has some of the cathedral samples.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Marco M

So far the theory.

I can't help with the pedal board. I'm watching for a used one myself.

As far as software, there are three programs out there that seem to work well. You do need some software to learn registration.

Hauptwerk is the gold standard. (IMO of course) But you need a fast computer. It doesn't run well on my old laptop.

Miditizer is good for emulating Wurlitzers and commercial rather than church organs. It runs pretty well on my slow machine.

Then there's MyOrgan (the name may have changed since I downloaded it.) That worked well also.

gotta go practice
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
A friend of mine had organ lessons as a child. She had lessons on a home electronic organ not a big church one. She never had piano lessons and when I first got my piano, I automatically assumed she could play it becaue it was a keyboard. She had great difficulty because she said that the keyboard was on one level and she was used to playing an organ keyboard on two levels. she found she could barely read the sheet music for piano as she said organ muic is different.

I thought all organists could play piano too? I also thought if you are a trained music reader, you could adapt from organ to piano music and read then note and play the right ones on the ksyboard. Yes she knows what flats and sharps are and how to recognise them on very simple piano scores but she cannot play a piano with both hands, but get her on an organ and she plays like she has been playing for 20 years....

Is this a usual approach for organists who are non pianists.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
adultpianist,
I can confirm you that coming from electric organ to piano does not work right away. To my experience it is because of the total lack of experience to play with the dynamic response of the piano keys, and their heavier weight which you might not be prepared for. Additionally, electric organ music usually supports the melody played in the right hand only by giving a rhythmic pattern made up from bass (foot) and inverted chords (left hand). But the inverted chords played left hand first time on the piano sound empty due to the missing bass note (no foot). Furthermore, the chord inversion you are used to play on the two manuals organ may overlap with the keys of the melody, and thus you have to vary this on the piano. But just shifting the octave is not a solution, because it just does not sound as expected in the other octave (and still the bass note is missing, so you invert the chord to its basic 1-3-5 pattern, but it still does not sound good, but boring and missplaced). Finally, the left hand (and also your eyes on the sheet!!) are trained on interval patterns, but not much on individual (appregio) notes, or even notes off from the chord.

So, first piano playing experience can be very frustrating for entertainment e-organ players. I after half a year daily on the piano still have to intensively focus on (fight with) my left hand playing, while the right hand without problems is completely autonomous and "only" deserves concentration on the 'new' dynamics.

I would say it the otherway round: any pianist should quickly get good results on the electric organ while e-organ players can not easily get good results on the piano. For classically trained (church) organ players this is different, though. They have it much easier to adapt to piano, than e-organ players.

J
J
Churches will be reluctant to allow non-members use of their organ to learn on.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Is it true to say that the piano is more popular than the organ? I know lots of people who learn the piano, but not many who learn the organ. Maybe I am not mixing with the right people. Personally I have no interest in learning an organ. Unless you are in a church, what use are organ skills? Pianos can be played anywhere.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
@adultpianist: While I lost completly interest in e-organ playing, I love my new piano. And to also play the majestic, powerfull vibrating cathedral sound of an church organ on a decent digital piano (or even much better on a MIDI connected software!) is quite something worth to experience!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission