Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
120 registered members (agraffe, AnnInMiami, AnthonyPaulO, Animisha, Amedeus, ADWyatt, Akaitsuki, alexk3954, anamnesis, 28 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Suggestions for fun musical activities for 3-5 year olds [Re: ten left thumbs] #1763672
10/03/11 12:22 AM
10/03/11 12:22 AM
USA
L
LeaC Offline
LeaC  Offline
L

USA
I forgot tlt, you can write in the letters for the your own set of "snake" cards. Children also learn from imitation, so you can have them copy yours, or have Mom or Dad work with them at home to make their own cards. I try to have them make by hand any games that they use at home, which is a Suzuki tradition. Just make sure they keep the color scheme right for repeated notes of the alphabet.

The second game, on paper, is for them to write in exclusively, except for some help if they need it. That's a little more advanced.

Wait until you hear about making (poster board)sandwiches for teaching "form" to them! They'll be mastering A-B-A song form in no time. But, that's for later, as I am pooped!

Maybe Tori will share with you the idea behind hand-made items as a learning tool.

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Suggestions for fun musical activities for 3-5 year olds [Re: LeaC] #1763720
10/03/11 03:15 AM
10/03/11 03:15 AM
France
L
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
landorrano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

France
Originally Posted by LeaC
the order of the music alphabet, both forward and backward, as this is how the keyboard works. So, your making a sort of keyboard with the big snake, only it's on the floor.

Interesting.

Re: Suggestions for fun musical activities for 3-5 year olds [Re: liszt85] #1763723
10/03/11 03:19 AM
10/03/11 03:19 AM
Scotland
T
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ten left thumbs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Scotland
Thanks for the replies. Shall we stick to just the one game till I've got this? I have set of squares or circles with the letter names on them in a bag. Each of the A's have one colour, each of the B's have a different colour. I start to make a snake on the floor. Does the kid help me? What I'm struggling with is that, if the letters are to go in sequence, then there is one right answer all along, with 6 wrong ones, and if I let the kid help me, then we will probably end up with a 'mistake' which I will have to correct. And really at this age I was trying to get away from that kind of teaching.

Next, you need 7 colours for this. Not impossible.

And do the colours form any kind of natural order that would give the student a hint?

Next another question about letters. Is it normal in the US to teach capital letters and letter names first? Here they teach lower case first, and not the letter names but the sound (e.g. 'kuh' for c not 'see'). Most children will know the alphabet song but will have no idea what it relates to.

I'm motivated in my question when I remember sending my first son to piano lessons when he was 5 and the teacher just didn't get that he didn't know capital letters or letter names.

Re: Suggestions for fun musical activities for 3-5 year olds [Re: liszt85] #1763817
10/03/11 08:53 AM
10/03/11 08:53 AM
GA
M
Monaco Offline
Monaco  Offline
M

GA
Here are a few of my favorite ear training games.

High - Low
Kids don't look as I play 2 notes and they tell me if I have gone from higher to lower or lower to higher.

Find the note
I grab 2 pencils and section off an area of the keyboard. (usually 3-5 white keys for starters) Kids don't look as I play a note (I use the pedal). They then turn around and try to find the one that sounds the same. They can play as many notes as they like but have to say "that's the one" when they think they've got the right one.

Echo me
Start with C-D and E. Kid's don't look. Play a simple phrase. Maybe 3 to 5 notes. I tell the kids which note I started on. Then they try to play it back to me. This can be increase in range, length of phrase and difficulty. Sometimes a two note interval is harder than a 4 note phrase.

Re: Suggestions for fun musical activities for 3-5 year olds [Re: ten left thumbs] #1764647
10/04/11 04:16 PM
10/04/11 04:16 PM
USA
L
LeaC Offline
LeaC  Offline
L

USA
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Thanks for the replies. Shall we stick to just the one game till I've got this? I have set of squares or circles with the letter names on them in a bag. Each of the A's have one colour, each of the B's have a different colour. I start to make a snake on the floor. Does the kid help me?

What I'm struggling with is that, if the letters are to go in sequence, then there is one right answer all along, with 6 wrong ones, and if I let the kid help me, then we will probably end up with a 'mistake' which I will have to correct. And really at this age I was trying to get away from that kind of teaching.

Next, you need 7 colours for this. Not impossible.

And do the colours form any kind of natural order that would give the student a hint?

Next another question about letters. Is it normal in the US to teach capital letters and letter names first? Here they teach lower case first, and not the letter names but the sound (e.g. 'kuh' for c not 'see'). Most children will know the alphabet song but will have no idea what it relates to.

I'm motivated in my question when I remember sending my first son to piano lessons when he was 5 and the teacher just didn't get that he didn't know capital letters or letter names.

That teacher is exactly why we are doing this!

You scramble the cards in a pile on the floor, and the students job is to pick out, usually one at a time, the correct letter, followed by the next letter, and so forth, until the snake is a series of A-G, with colors matching for each letter. The exercise is to give kids a chance to learn about the letters on the keys, and to reinforce visual perceptions of the repeated fashion as found in octaves.

You don't need to get on the floor if you don't want to..

... you can form one set of A-G on the floor in front of the child so that he/she can copy it first until they get the idea.

The correct answer is placing A-G in order. That's all. You can work in the joke about no H is snake by asking them whats after G. There are other ways to work in the "H" joke. Use your imagination.

You write in the letters on the squares first so that there is one complete set. So that the student can practice at home, they can make a duplicate set, at home for homework, after they see yours.

You can use any way of writing the letters that you want to.

There is no connection to the letters and the colors at all except to show where letters repeat in an octave.

C' mon! Haven't you ever dumped out a big box of crayons into a bowl? You can have light green, dark green, light blue, dark blue, etc. Doesn't have to be primary colors.

Teaching young children requires a lot of effort. But the results are well worth it.

Check out some of the books I mentioned in a post above. Once you have a basic game, the sky is the limit with variations.

I hope this helps.

Working on: Reworking Bartok's Suite Opus 14, Chopin's Polonaise Op.40, The Military (so much fun!)
Re: Suggestions for fun musical activities for 3-5 year olds [Re: liszt85] #1764691
10/04/11 05:59 PM
10/04/11 05:59 PM
Scotland
T
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ten left thumbs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Scotland
Hi LeaC, I did look at the books and ordered one as it looked so good.

i do understand the game better now, thankyou for explaining. I give them a pattern, then they copy, that is fine and I can see it working. i am very comfortable on the floor.

The way I see it, for a 4 year old who doesn't know letters, this is a way to teach them to recognise the letters up to G.

The H in snake joke requires a child to know that H comes after G, and also to have an idea of what spelling is, so that is for a slightly different audience, but I can still see it working.

I can see the circles working well with each having a little cut-out so they fit into each other.

I'm hoping to get lots out of this book!

Re: Suggestions for fun musical activities for 3-5 year olds [Re: liszt85] #1764703
10/04/11 06:08 PM
10/04/11 06:08 PM
Scotland
T
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ten left thumbs  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Scotland
OK, here's my game. I have a large dice with transparent pockets for sides in which I can place cards. I have 6 squares on which I have drawn in marker pen: crotchet (x2) minim (x2) semibreve (x2). The first time we place I roll the dice and see what I get. Suppose I get the crotchet. I just say 'mine is a circle and it's black inside and it's got a stick here.' Everyone gets to roll the dice ( parents too) and you just describe the note you get. That's week one.

next week, add names (though it doesn't matter if they forget). e.g. 'mine is a circle that's white inside and it has a stick' me: 'that's a minim'.

Week 3: add these:
crotchet we say 'walk'
minim we say 'mi - nim'
semibreve we say 'long note hold it'
(you need to put a beat into these syllables when you say them)

For dotted minim say 'mi - nim dot' (or 'half note dot' if you prefer.)

This just taps into the fascination everyone seems to have with the roll of a dice. of course could be adapted to note names too, 6 at a time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Does CLP 645, 675 and 685 sound the same
by iLogic. 04/24/19 02:02 PM
give me a Chopin
by Elysia. 04/24/19 01:36 PM
Digital pianos and humidity (Kawai CA98 vs CA78)
by alexk3954. 04/24/19 01:08 PM
Entry level piano for around €500?
by CyberGene. 04/24/19 01:03 PM
How do I upload songs?
by ADWyatt. 04/24/19 11:40 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,643
Posts2,821,315
Members93,137
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission