2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Nice interview. I only met Alan one time years ago at Carmelos, he probably doesn't even remember me. I called him a few years ago and left a message on his machine that I was selling my Yamaha S6 piano if he was interested or might know someone that was-he never called me back. I've heard him play many times through the years and of course always enjoyed him. He likes the same songs I do . smile I was probably one of those "3 or 4 people" in the audience he referred to at Dinos in Pasadena, Dontes, Carmelos and other places over a 30 year span. He's right about Charlie O's-brutal piano...part of the reason I never hustled a gig there. It was sad to see it close though. frown

My good friend who has played on a few of my CDs, drummer Kendall Kay, was part of Alan's trio the last few years along with his long time friend, bassist Putter Smith.

I was surprised when I heard he was moving to NY, I hope it works out for him. I saw in the Times he played a farewell solo concert at the Steinway store in W. Hollywood a few months back. Unfortunately I had a gig that night and couldn't make it.

Interesting his comments in part 1 where he mentions the younger generation of jazz players today playing in 17/8 or whatever with ridiculous facility yet musically there's something that leaves you cold about the music. I feel very strongly like that as well. It's hard for me to listen to most younger players in spite of their odd time mastery and chops...too much angst in the music to my ears.

Great to hear he plays *at* the Chopin Etudes every morning. I've been humbling myself for over 30 years now with those...

Thanks for posting that Jake.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Dave,

I used to listen to Kendall Kay play with Ron Eschete in the Orange County area. Kendall is great. I never had the chance to hear Alan play.. I found out about him like right before I left Southern California after finishing school. I have couple of his CD's and I've always loved his style of playing.

I guess I do agree with Alan partially about the younger musician stuff.. but I think many of them still play very moving music using these elements (Aaron Parks, Josh Nelson..etc).. I have a lot of respect for them. you name it, because I've heard them play straight-jazz, and they sounded really great.

But I do agree that this is a problem that's happening with jazz in general.. There are plenty of players where I live that plays all the polymeter stuff and they just don't sound very musical at all. These guys are trying all this complicated stuff, but they don't sound all that great when they play Rhythm changes or slow Blues. To me they sound like they are just hiding behind the complexity of their music. To make matters worse, some of them are becoming famous within the local scene, and I often feel like I'm at odds with the scene here because I feel like what they are into isn't really what jazz is about.

J
OP Offline
J
Its called love....that's the missing ingredient. Everyone was in it together and they were family. That is not the case anymore. Thanks for chiming in guys and sharing your thoughts.

JF

J
OP Offline
J
Your most welcome...

Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Nice interview. I only met Alan one time years ago at Carmelos, he probably doesn't even remember me. I called him a few years ago and left a message on his machine that I was selling my Yamaha S6 piano if he was interested or might know someone that was-he never called me back. I've heard him play many times through the years and of course always enjoyed him. He likes the same songs I do . smile I was probably one of those "3 or 4 people" in the audience he referred to at Dinos in Pasadena, Dontes, Carmelos and other places over a 30 year span. He's right about Charlie O's-brutal piano...part of the reason I never hustled a gig there. It was sad to see it close though. frown

My good friend who has played on a few of my CDs, drummer Kendall Kay, was part of Alan's trio the last few years along with his long time friend, bassist Putter Smith.

I was surprised when I heard he was moving to NY, I hope it works out for him. I saw in the Times he played a farewell solo concert at the Steinway store in W. Hollywood a few months back. Unfortunately I had a gig that night and couldn't make it.

Interesting his comments in part 1 where he mentions the younger generation of jazz players today playing in 17/8 or whatever with ridiculous facility yet musically there's something that leaves you cold about the music. I feel very strongly like that as well. It's hard for me to listen to most younger players in spite of their odd time mastery and chops...too much angst in the music to my ears.

Great to hear he plays *at* the Chopin Etudes every morning. I've been humbling myself for over 30 years now with those...

Thanks for posting that Jake.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission