2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Me123 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello, new poster here !

I am in the market for an upright piano for myself (lapsed adult player with 10 years of piano lessons as a child/ teen) and my 1st grader who is very interested in learning. My budget is $5K. I am actively hunting a used Charles Walter (love the sound and touch!), but my local piano dealer just recommended a 1978 or so Sohmer upright that is within my budget ( he has commented that $5K is not realistic for CW). I have the latest Larry Fine Piano book and have been lurking on this website for several weeks. Can anyone comment on the Sohmer brand of pianos? Is it even worth my time to have my RPT look at this piano? The serial # provided by the dealer looks like 213853 #450C, but I cannot be sure from the photo.

Thanks so much -

A working mom that is very dedicated to shopping for the right piano for everyone involved smile

Last edited by Me123; 09/26/11 10:34 AM.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
That would be from 1977. Sohmers were well made pianos with lousy designs. Unfortunately, that is harder to fix than a poorly made piano with good design. I prefer Hamilton and Everett studios from that period. You should be able to find one of those for under $1000.

Semipro Tech
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Doesn't hurt to shop around. Take your time.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Here I agree with BDB but will add that the best examples of Everett or Hamiltons may reach $1500. I like the Everett studios very much.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
B
BDB Offline
B
Everetts and Hamiltons can go higher than $1500, but there is little correlation between price and condition in the used market for them. I recently pointed out that someone could buy a Hamilton in a fancy case that looked nice from the photo for $400 around here. The less money you want to spend, the more time you need to look.

Semipro Tech
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I will say a word here in favor of the Sohmer piano. I would definitely at least look at it. For some 15 years I had one of the last good Sohmer uprights, from the early 1980s (bought used), and it was a beautiful instrument. I traded up to a grand piano for the action but otherwise loved the Sohmer. Technicians I trust have spoken highly of the older Sohmers also.

1989 Baldwin R
M
Me123 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks all for the responses and the information!

jdw - I plan to take your recommendation and look at the piano. The outside of the piano is in beautiful condition for it's age. Hopefully it plays well. I will let everyone know.

M
Me123 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by BDB
That would be from 1977. Sohmers were well made pianos with lousy designs. Unfortunately, that is harder to fix than a poorly made piano with good design. I prefer Hamilton and Everett studios from that period. You should be able to find one of those for under $1000.

What does the phase "well made pianos with lousy designs" mean? What is a lousy design? Never heard that phrase in my piano research. Thank you.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Me123
Originally Posted by BDB

What does the phase "well made pianos with lousy designs" mean? What is a lousy design? Never heard that phrase in my piano research. Thank you.

Well made means made with high quality materials, and is a long lasting and durable piano. Lousy designs means the scale of the piano was not designed well at the drawing stage, and probably means that there are some deficiency of tone, sound, or other in the piano's sound it produces.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Maybe one source of difference in opinions: one rebuilder told me that the old Sohmer uprights were great, but the grands not so much.

1989 Baldwin R
F
F
I recently heard some nice things about a Sohmer from a teacher, and also got to play one that was for sale in Redding. Sounded pretty nice. Today I noticed this ad in the Sacramento Craig's list that even mentions them being sold in Steinway Hall at one point, which may or may not be true. I don't know too much about Sohmer, but I hear nice things. Below is what is mentioned in that ad. Frank

FOR SALE: Sohmer Upright Piano

$1650 OBO

Excellent musical condition. This piano and matching stool has a beautiful singing tone in a neutral provencial wood stain. Years ago when Sohmer pianos were sold in Steinway Hall in New York, many technicians and teachers said, "If you can not afford a Steinway, buy a Sohmer." The same could be said today; it has the classic "American sound" and the classic American piano look. This piano is for a discerning purchaser who wants a grand piano sound, but does not necessarily have the space. It's serial number indicates a 1981 construction year.

M
Me123 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Update - I haven't been back to play the Sohmer again due to time constraints. The family really wants a shiny black piano, which this one is not. However, a dealer offered to refinish it in black to get the look I want. Any comments on this offer, or on refinishing in general? Does refinishing affect the sound or touch of the piano in any way? I would not think so, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask the experts here. Also worried about the cost - seems like once it's all said and done I won't save much money vs. looking for the piano I really want - the elusive, preowned black Charles Walter 1500 (subject of my other post). I have no idea what I should expect refinishing to cost.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited by Me123; 09/27/11 11:27 AM.
M
Me123 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I went back to my local piano dealer today and played to Sohmer as well as the Charles Walter. The 30 year old Sohmer sounded beautiful!! But still not as nice as the brand new Charles Walter, which I cannot afford. I am in purgatory frown

Any comments on refinishing a piano would be very helpful right now...

Thanks.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
How close to Elkhart, In. are you?

Charles

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
OK. Refinishing a piano.

1. Extremely difficult. For home refinishers, failure (not just imperfection, but true failure as in making it worse than before) is essentially guaranteed.

2. Quite expensive to have done.

3. Therefore not worth it, except on a multi-thousand-dollar piano that plays beautifully.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
F
F
I agree that refinishing has many drawbacks. Would not recommend. Great to hear how nice the Sohmer sounds. That is consistent with what people tell me. This could be an interim piano for a few years until funds are amassed to purchase new. For many, performance is more important than appearance. This Sohmer sounds pretty special. Frank

M
Me123 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
[quote=ChasT]How close to Elkhart, In. are you?

Nowhere near. I live in NJ.

M
Me123 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by FrankJoseph
For many, performance is more important than appearance. This Sohmer sounds pretty special. Frank

Yes, I 100% agree. The performance and sound were spectacular! However, I have had 10 years of piano lessons and competitive playing experience and know the difference. My spouse (who does not play) and child (who will start lessons in November) do not have this same knowledge and have stated multiple times that a brown piano, no matter what the sound, is not what they want to look at everyday for years. As far as funds, I have as much as I will ever have for a piano, so this purchase is it...unless I win the lottery smile

Purgatory! But for all my suffering I will reiterate to others that old Sohmer upright pianos sound beautiful if in good condition. If you see a black one, let me know smile

Last edited by Me123; 09/26/11 02:19 AM.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
NJ? Too bad. Charles Walter has a showroom at their factory in Elkhart. They have used Walters as well as other brands. Visitors have reported good experiences shopping there. You might call to see what they have. It might be worth a quick trip out (only half a continent). Check the air fares. Walter has their own transportation company, as well.

Charles

M
M
Is the price Worldwide Piano quoting you even close to your 5k budget? How much difference are we talking about?

BTW - When I purchased my Walter there, they had a polished black "traditional" model with nickel-plated hardware up against the wall. My wife and I went for the QA in polished mahogany, but I remember thinking how sharp the black/nickel combo looked... real art deco looking...

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission