2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1759948 09/26/11 08:41 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I have a plan for initial interviews with new/potential students: I tell the student a bit about myself. The student tells me about himself and his musical goals. We might look through a few books while I consider possible best method for him. We also may experiment a bit at the piano, depending on his level and how much time is left. If this is all going well, I tell him that I think he would be a good fit for my studio. At this point, he may or may not agree to sign up for lessons.

So, what to do here? I have my whole studio policy for the parent to read over and agree to. Do we discuss each part of the policy or do I point out the important parts? Or do I have the parent read over the policy while I play around on the piano with the student?

It's just an awkward time.

Besides this, do you have specific questions that you ask the parent and specific questions you ask the student?

I would think it might depend on the student's age.

Please, give me your input. How do you work initial interviews?

(I'm confident in my teaching, but I'm not so great at the business side of things. It always makes me nervous.)

Last edited by Carolynjoy; 09/26/11 08:42 PM.

Carolyn
Piano teacher since 2002
B.A. in Music and Psychology
Piano Pedagogy program completed
http://vivopianolessons.com
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I do more "musical" things at the initial interview, plus discussion as required, but I save the paperwork for next time (assuming there is a next time). That gives everybody (including me!) time to back out if we decide we don't like it.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
D
D
I would just just highlight the important parts of the policy at the end of the lesson and tell them if they have any questions please do not hesitate to inquire.

But I would do the policy at the end. I just like to dive in, open some books, show off a little, ask the student what kind of music they enjoy, etc.

Keep the interview lesson light then ease into the policy is what I would do.

If you don't hear back from them, email again and offer to clarify any questions or concerns that they may have regarding the lesson or the policy. You should always follow up.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Most people don't read the policy anyways. I highlight what I feel may need to be clarified, but generally I've already talked about the things in my policy in the initial phone call. I do usually give the policy to the parent while I work with the child so that they actually have time to read it (although I've condensed mine quite a bit this year to make it simpler).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
C
That's a good question! I think the reality is that most parents and kids are happy with me and by the end we are all kind of thinking this is going to work out. So we talk for a while, and if they have studied previously I look through their books and talk about what they have done, and where we might go. Then, I'll have the child play a bit, and talk about what I like about their playing and what we might work on together. A lot of this is really for me to figure out what to do with them. Before that, I might hand the policy and registration papers to the parent and go over the important points (especially the cancellation policy), studio behavior, practice, etc...

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission