2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1759140 09/25/11 06:39 PM
M
MzrtFan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I just put an end to my long search for the perfect practice piano. I have an acoustic piano but needed DP for silent practice.

I was very serious about the AvantGrand, but would have had to sell my piano in order to buy it. A trade-in was not considered desirable by the Yamaha dealer in my area because my piano (W. Hoffmann) is not a recognizable brand that would easily sell. Getting rid of a great acoustic piano I just bought a year ago would be a big waste anyway, so I decided to get a DP with the best action out there instead.

I had already tested several Rolands and Clavinovas and found that I like the Kawai DP's better. I went back to the Kawai dealer and tried the CN-33 and CA-63 again. I felt that even though the RH action is pretty good, the RM3 feels just right. You almost forget you're playing a digital - not as much as when playing the AvantGrand, but almost there. The dealer wouldn't take less than $2200 for the CN-33, and I didn't like it that much to pay that kind of money for it. The CA-63 was about $3200. Then I thought, hey, for $2500 I can get the MP-10!

So that's what I just ordered online: the MP-10. My only concern about it was the possible shaking you get when playing a stage piano. After doing some research, watching videos and asking questions, I learned that as long as you have it on a good, sturdy stand or table it's not going to wobble or shake at all.

I'm happy with my decision. I will get to practice on an awesome action without bothering everyone in my house, and still get to play my acoustic piano and hear its beautiful sound.

It should be here by the end of the week. I can't wait!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Wow. Great choice! I'm so tempted by the MP10....

Let us know how it goes.

Steve

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats!

I strongly recommend investing in a good quality table stand (not an X-stand), and either a pair of excellent headphones or monitor speakers.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Yes, you are right. Stage pianos are a good deal because they focus on the sound and action, rather than the cabinetry (or speakers, usually) for a cheaper price.

Get a heavy duty stand and it won't shake at all. I have an on-stage heavy duty Z stand with my MP8 and it shakes no more than an acoustic grand would under the same treatment (not at all).

Do get some good headphones as James suggests. And if you like, get some good monitors as well. It will be great!

Congrats!

R
R
Congratulation. Good decision.

I remember the first stand that I have got for my keyboard. It was very heavy and sturdy. When I bring it to home, my brother said: "Hey, are you sure it is not for accoustic pianos?"

Congratulations! I'm still in the honeymoon phase with mine (MP10), though I suspect it's one of those honeymoons that'll last until something like the MP12 comes along.

As noted in PM, the OnStage Z-stand is possibly the sturdiest thing I've ever laid a 70 pound percussive object on. I can't get it to budge so much as a sliver of an inch if I start pushing on either end of the board. The MP10 might as well be sitting on one of those long wooden tables in the Hogwarts dining hall. smile

Recommended headphones (if you don't have a good pair): AKG K240. Just picked up a pair for $100. Clean, comfortable, and, IMO, less biased than comparable sets like Sony's MDR-V600 (my former set). And if you use monitors, make sure to use XLR (balanced) cables, since the MP10 supports it, and the audio's noticeably superior.

In any case, you're in for a treat. The MP10's an incredible board with huge headroom, action-wise. You could use this thing indefinitely, whether with the top notch inbuilt Kawai piano samples, or current/future VSTs. In fact that's my next to-do-or-not-to-do: Ivory 2 vs. the MP10's piano library.

Last edited by Matt Peckham; 09/25/11 08:48 PM.

Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Nord Electro 4 HP
M
MzrtFan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks, everyone! Matt, thank you again for your help and detailed review of the MP-10. It helped a lot with my decision.

In regards to headphones, I had already purchased the AKG K240 and actually brought it with me to test the DP's. I figured I would need to buy a good pair eventually anyway, and it would be better to try the pianos through a decent pair of headphones. They are really comfortable and don't make my ears ring like some of the closed back headphones I tried.

The bundle I purchased comes with the Quiklok WS 550 stand among some other things. I read some good reviews on it, and since I didn't have to pay anything extra for it (the bundle cost the same as the piano by itself) I figured I would give it a try and see how it works.

Speaking of price, I haven't told my husband yet I just ordered a $2500 piano... He knew I wanted to buy one but I changed my mind so many times about what kind that he probably has no idea what I've been up to, haha!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Wow. Great choice! I'm so tempted by the MP10....

Let us know how it goes.

Steve

You me both Steve. Seriously, I almost went for it. Hands down the best DP (stage piano) IMHO for serious piano playing.

Congrats Mzrtfan! Wonderful choice and one I think you'll be mighty satisfied with for years.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
M
M
Congratulations, Mzrt Fan (love the Clarinet Concerto)!

Ahhhh, an MP-10! Aching to try one out. I live in midcoast Maine now and no one I'm aware of in these parts owns one, or plays it in public anyways. Looks like I'll have to go to Boston (good excuse).

Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
Hands down the best DP (stage piano) IMHO for serious piano playing.

Great as it is, I think most of us are still a trifle jealous of your Avant Grand N1, ZF. smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Nord Electro 4 HP
M
MzrtFan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Matt Peckham
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
Hands down the best DP (stage piano) IMHO for serious piano playing.

Great as it is, I think most of us are still a trifle jealous of your Avant Grand N1, ZF. smile

I definitely am! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission