2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
G
I was on there website and it seems they are getting European (Austrian) soundboards.. im in the market for a new piano and have considered kawai k-5 or rx-1 with millenium III action, petrof uprights 50" and higher, or the hailuns.. im assuming the hailun will be the most inexpensive, but could be comparable to the pianos mentioned.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gatsbee13
I was on there website and it seems they are getting European (Austrian) soundboards.. im in the market for a new piano and have considered kawai k-5 or rx-1 with millenium III action, petrof uprights 50" and higher, or the hailuns.. im assuming the hailun will be the most inexpensive, but could be comparable to the pianos mentioned.

I don't know why you feel the other three are comparable, or why you feel the inclusion of a European soundboard makes a Hailun grand comparable to those three.

Could you explain?

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
G
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
G
i think hailun is still making a name for itself..the other pianos have already established brands and product quality..

Last edited by Gatsbee13; 09/22/11 06:14 PM.
P
P
Chinese or European or American soundboards could have no significant differences...

...except some are worth bragging about.

One111
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Try brodmann!!

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
The new hailun's are really nice. Not concerning the soundboard country of origin, but they are now solid spruce, instead of spruce core with menaces spruce coating, (which is actually a very thin layer of spruce veneer). They are considerAbly more expensive than the older series Hailun pianos that replace (180 replacing the old 178, the 168 being a middleman between 161 and 180V). but very much comparable to the RX1, I think. They sound better too.

Good luck!

1942 Baldwin M
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gatsbee13
i think hailun is still making a name for itself..the other pianos have already established brands and product quality..

That may be true, but I don't know if incorporating a European soundboard into a more expensive new model really accelerates the process of building a reputation for product quality. Time will tell. AFAIK, Hailun has not expreienced any quality control problems with their laminate boards. In any case, a comparison between a K-5, RX-1, Petrof 125 or 131, and Hailun grand models is a difficult proposition. They are all very different animals, and prices are not usually comparable.

Here's what Chris Venables posted about Hailun's HG vs. HgV. Chris is a reliable source of balanced opinion around here.

Originally Posted by Chris Venables
Having seen and heard both the Hailun 178 model with veneered soundboard (I find veneered soundboards at this price point not much different to non veneered) and the V180 (V for Vienna - Austrian soundboard tonewood, from Kolbl) although the string lengths are similar, the iron frames are quite different with the 178 having the almost rectangular frame cutouts and the 180 the more Bosendorfer-ish (!) circular type - the 180 winning hands down. How much of that is soundboard v frame difference could keep PW aficionados debating for a lifetime. Hailun's selling point is, in this case biased toward the Austrian tonewood soundboard rather than the frame difference. In my view, the frame design (scaling) and using different hammers (don't know for sure if this will be the case in the US) makes more tonal difference than small differences in soundboard material. I would apply that reasoning to most piano designs.

The Hailun 168 is a shorter version of the V180 - totally new and at 5'6" a very 'creamy' sounding piano. Much like a Bose 170, but just that bit cheaper......

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
T
T
Originally Posted by Rotom
The new hailun's are really nice. Not concerning the soundboard country of origin, but they are now solid spruce, instead of spruce core with menaces spruce coating, (which is actually a very thin layer of spruce veneer). They are considerAbly more expensive than the older series Hailun pianos that replace (180 replacing the old 178, the 168 being a middleman between 161 and 180V). but very much comparable to the RX1, I think. They sound better too.

Good luck!

Rotom,

How's 168 priced in Australia? I guess 180's price is close to 198, but I wonder if 168 is priced above 178 or not.

Tom

T
T
Originally Posted by Konzert Patrick
Try brodmann!!

Very worth to try, but still Chinese made grin ...

G
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
G
i heard the new Artist Series are made "completely" in Germany.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by PianistOne111
Chinese or European or American soundboards could have no significant differences...

...except some are worth bragging about.

Well, how can anyone actually know what it is that makes a difference in the piano sound? It's not like it's easy to swap soundboards in pianos, or have two pianos that are identical execpt for the country of origin of the soundboard.

I just switched a Japanese piano in my home, with a "Solid Rumanian spruce soundboard and ribs" (according to the Manufacturer's description) for an Austrian piano with "Only spruce that has grown to a minimum of 1000 metres above sea level and only timber which is felled in January is used" (According to the manufacturer's description).

These pianos sound completely different. Both are high quality, constructed well. I wouldn't say with certainty that it's the soundboard or plate, or string, or hammers, or rim, or any other single component that made a difference. For all I know it could be all in my mind!

(Steinway claims to use Alaskan Spruce, so I guess this is the last of the American soundboards....)

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
i heard the new Artist Series are made "completely" in Germany.

I think we have to be cautious with terminology such as made "completely" in Germany.

The general description on Brodmann's website for the Artist Series is 'Made in Germany' and if one reads in between the lines of the description of the individual models it looks more as if pre-assembled parts will be finished off in Germany (in the Wilh. Steinberg fcatory?).

There was a thread here on this subject in June:
Brosmann Artist Series

In this thread Chris Venables was very specific about the origin of the first batch of Artist Series pianos produced and I suspect this practice to be continued when the line becomes widely available:

Bearing in mind the above, the first batch of the Artist Series had the case parts and frame assembled in their Chinese factory, the stringing, action, keyboard, dampers are fitted in the Wilhm Steinberg factory in Eisenberg, Germany. For uniformity, all toning is done by just one dedicated technician. (Ex Steinway tech). Hammers are either Renner or Abel, strings Roslau, soundboard Bolduc, pinblock 5 ply maple by Bolduc, action Renner, keys Kluge and damper felt La roux. The designs of the 187, 212 and 228 are the same as the PE series, which look very like S-way A, B and C models (!) the concert 275, Brodmann say, has similarities to S-way, Yamaha and Kawai concert models. (!). Brodmann are planning an upright 132 model too. Frame colour is gold rather than light copper and there is more detail around the frame holes than on the PE series. Inside of rim is birds eye maple. Main rim is of 3mm maple laminations.

schwammerl.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Tom FU

Rotom,

How's 168 priced in Australia? I guess 180's price is close to 198, but I wonder if 168 is priced above 178 or not.

Tom

Actually,I'm not sure, I've only seen/played a 180, but never a 168. Sorry, but I can't comment because I don't know... confused

Sorry.

1942 Baldwin M
T
T
Originally Posted by Rotom

Actually,I'm not sure, I've only seen/played a 180, but never a 168. Sorry, but I can't comment because I don't know... confused

Sorry.

I thought you had already played the 168... AFAIK, Hailun will begin mass production of its V series after the 2011 Shanghai Expo. Then there should be more feedbacks about these new grands.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To resurrect this old thread:

In the new Piano Buyer's guide (Spring 2013), Hailun Vienna made it to Intermediate Grade.
In Germany, I still have not seen one Hailun piano on display anywhere. Are they being sold under different brand names, like Feurich or Wendl&Lung?

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
G
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
G
I believe they sell under Wendl and Lung as well.. but im uncertain of the similarity in design,materials,etc between the two. im out in southern California and there is only 1 hailun dealer out here.. and the Vienna series is special order. but from what ive learned, the Vienna series is expensive compared to other pianos in the Intermediate Grade from pianobuyer.

im not sure what Hailun is doing with their Vienna series and their website hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Is there a word for the hard-goods equivalent of "vaporware"?

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I believe BoseEric could explain this better than I can. He is involved in the Feurich line of pianos these days. As I understand it from brief conversations, the owner of the Wendl & Lung line has now joined with Feurich to offer this new line instead. The Wendl & Lung has been discontinued.

I may not be totally correct on this but BoseEric is sure to be able to fill in the blanks.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Rich is correct. Wendl & Lung acquired the Feurich company and has changed the brand of all our instruments to Feurich.

We offer 2 lines. One is made to our specifications in the Hailun factory. This line USED to be called Wendl & Lung. There is no corporate connection or ownership between Hailun and Feurich. Hailun is our subcontracted manufacturer. There is also a European made line that is currently being redesigned and will be relaunched hopefully later this year.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
The Hailun Vienna Series?

Vaporware pretty well sums it up.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission