2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 5 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
In the sense that Mark is talking about, Mozart cheated a lot on his early compositions, which were pretty much written by his daddy or mostly copied from other composers.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
A
A
I can only speak for myself - my parent never, ever did my homework, in whole or part. Even as far back as phonics lessons in kinder and first grade, my mother would do an example and show the learning process for the skill, then have me demonstrate on the homework problems. If she had to 'do one' to show me better, she'd pick a problem and either modify part of it or use an entirely off-sheet example to show me again, before having me try. Doing part of my homework and claiming it was me didn't a) teach me the basic objective of the assignment (which is the only reason FOR homework) and b) was dishonest, passing a skill off as mine that I didn't have.

So yeah, I work at being consistent and have as long as I can remember. As a homeschooling mom I am really sensitive to this, because it IS easy to 'over help' and end up doing an assignment rather than teaching, but it is entirely avoidable. And yes, I consider a parent doing an assignment for a kid cheating. As I said, I'm black and white like that.

But enough with the hypotheticals, I'm pretty sure I answered the question and then tromped on the horse carcass a few times, so I'm out of this one smile

Starting over after a decade-long hiatus from playing!
Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude
Arctic_Mama #1756302 09/21/11 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama
....I'm pretty sure I answered the question and then tromped on the horse carcass a few times, so I'm out of this one smile

Don't feel that you have to stick to that. grin

Kreisler #1756310 09/21/11 01:58 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
It is the system that give people opportunity to lie. I agree that people should not lie. Unfortunately, most people will lie. If the system is designed in a way so that no opportunity for people to lie, we will not have this problem.

Having designed cheat-proof systems for classroom education, I can say that there are a few obstacles.

1) It's extremely difficult. Basically, preventing people from cheating requires constant observation. Especially in the age of smart phones, this is incredibly difficult. It took three of us to effectively manage a class of 75 people during in-class assignments and exams.

2) It's demoralizing. These systems send a clear message: "We do not trust you." It's a horrible message to send to those who really do approach their lives with integrity. It can also be a self-fulfilling prophecy - expect someone to cheat, and they will.

3) It acknowledges that cheating is part of the culture. And once cheating is part of the regular culture, people start to use that as justification for cheating. We've actually seen that in this thread: "Everyone else is, so I have to in order to not look stupid."

4) Even in auditions, it's very difficult. Let's say two pianists play Beethoven Op. 10#2 at roughly the same level of proficiency. It's entirely possible that for Pianist #1, this is the first Beethoven sonata he's learned, and he's been playing it for two years. He can't sight-read at all, doesn't have a disciplined practice schedule, has a weak theory background, and his social skills are lacking. But for Pianist #2, this is his 3rd Beethoven sonata, he has a well-rounded repertoire, good theory skills, is self-directed when it comes to practicing, and he's a joy to work with. He practices more efficiently, and is able to accomplish in 2 hours what the other accomplishes in 3.

But the audition committee only hears Beethoven Op. 10/2 on one day. It's entirely possible that Pianist #1 had a good night's sleep and played well. He also had a new suit and looked very "put together." But Pianist #2 had a bad flight, decided to skip ironing his clothes to grab an extra 30 minutes of sleep because he didn't get in until 2am, and his audition time was right after lunch.

So yes, auditions are "honest" in that a person can't fake good technique or musicianship, but auditions paint a very incomplete picture of a person's development. And when you're thinking about a career in music, how well you play is only a part of what will make you successful.

You do not know how to write good questions then. If you write questions requiring a thorough understanding of a certain subject matter, it is hard to cheat. Even an open book exam will become very difficult.

You need only one person to ensure none of the students work together. There are several ways to reduce the chance for them to work together, (1)increase the numbers of questions so that everybody will under pressure to finish their test. Therefore, the good students have no time to help others. (2) Use exactly the same questions, but scramble the numbers, so that there will be less chance that the students who sit next to each other will have the same sequence of questions. It is hard to work together if the sequence of the questions is not the same.

Cheating can only become a culture if the schools or the professors do not have a system to prevent them from doing so. It is human nature to not working hard if they do not have to. If the schools or the professors are strict concerning this cheating thing, no student will dare to do this. Little kids are afraid of cheating in general, but teenagers will most likely cheat if they have the opportunity to do so.

About the audition, it is very unlikely people who are lacking in all aspects of music like what you described will be able to beat your Pianist No.2 who has well rounded musical knowledge.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Kreisler: It just so happens that I was discussing the audition system with a violinist friend last night (while eating a chocolate souffle! YUMMY! :D)

Here's part of the discussion that went on:

Her: Auditions can be unfair. I already knew the committee and they just hired me because they knew me!
Me: Yes, but you deserved to be there, you're awesome (truly she is)...
Her: Yes, but it remains unfair to everyone. Plus if they didn't know me (ergo I wasn't with them for a couple of years), I wold probably be spending my time studying thus I would be better. Bottom line is that the audition will NOT get you the best performer!
Me: Well yes of course! But a professional needs to have many more skills than just be a great performer and for all those years you passed the audition. They knew who you were and they liked working with you, apart from knowing that you ARE great.
Her: Still they have no way of knowing if other people were great with the violin but also great working with them! They missed the opportunity not because they missed any skills, but because I had tons of more time to get to persuade these people how much better I was!

And thus she persuaded me that sometimes, just sometimes, even the auditions are not 'honest'.

Then again I do know that I hire people I know for getting the job done. Not because they are the absolute best, but because I know them, we have established a communication channel, trust each other, etc... And this means a lot in the business world!

If a computer games company hires me to do their third game, after having worked with them in the previous two, does this mean I somehow cheated the competition? Or that it's just natural for this to happen? If I decide to pay Kreisler, or Joe, or Mark to get me a recording (random example of people, I have NOT contacted any of them for such reasons), would it be unfair to everyone else?

Not too far off the cheating process I think...

BruceD #1756356 09/21/11 03:50 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by BruceD
In the context of the original question where the arguments of life and death situations were not implied, it is also hard for me to understand the precept that there are varying degrees of cheating, some of which seem to be acceptable to some while others are not;

That's because the word 'cheating' carries the implicit meaning 'wrong'. So asking when cheating might not be wrongdoing amounts to asking why wrongdoing might not be wrongdoing. The question is loaded to produce the answer you expect.

Try asking the same question in entirely neutral language. You might still get the same answer, but at least you'll be getting the answer on the basis of moral reasoning and not because somebody's behaviour happens to match a word template.

Arctic_Mama #1756362 09/21/11 04:13 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama
But I also believe in moral absolutes and absolute truth (and thus, the converse). I don't do 'fuzzy' on personal ethics. There are surprisingly few grey areas when it really gets down to it, but seemingly infinite things people will try to justify. I don't personally live that way if I can at all help it,.

I also tend to moral absolutism and yet I disagree utterly with your statement about 'grey areas'. There may be moral absolutes, but that doesn't mean that they can be applied in a cookie-cutter way without consideration of the deep principles that underly your moral code.

It might be wrong, for example to steal. But why? What is it that make it wrong? And, whatever it is, will that something have to be found in every situation that we attach the label 'stealing' to? Children continue to admire folk heros like Robin Hood because they stole for what are perceived to be the best of motives.

The grey areas arise not because of 'fuzziness on personal ethics', but because even cast-iron, absolute moral principles frequently come into conflict with one another. It's possible to go through life closing one's mind to this basic observation about the human condition but only, I imagine, with considerable effort.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

It is the system that give people opportunity to lie.

Blah, blah, blah! Liars create their own opportunities. I'm so sick of hearing people come up with excuses for this, that and the other! It's the systems fault...it's my parents fault...it's societies fault. B.S.!!!!! It's YOUR fault!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

stores #1756367 09/21/11 04:24 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

Blah, blah, blah! Liars create their own opportunities. I'm so sick of hearing people come up with excuses for this, that and the other! It's the systems fault...it's my parents fault...it's societies fault. B.S.!!!!! It's YOUR fault!
I Agree SO MUCH with this! I'm so tired of all the complaint and the ability of a lot of people to skip the personal responsibility. They just feel it's someone elses' fault and nobody seems to feel the need to better themselves!

And this is coming from your local member from Greece so you can imagine the situation here (and the hatred towards the government and the EMF, etc...)

Last edited by Nikolas; 09/21/11 04:25 AM.
DianneB #1756423 09/21/11 07:28 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by DianneB
You know it's wrong but would you do it?

As a poor, penniless music student, didn't you sign an agreement of academic honesty/integrity at that college?

If discovered, it could jeopardize both of you when you wish to graduate.

IMHO, you have an interest in this female student that goes beyond writing a paper.

Edited to add: "Don't compromise yourself." Janis Joplin

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thank you Freud, I posted this out of curiosity to how people would respond. I said no flatly, offered help for nothing because I'm her friend. Oh and I'm a girl, and not a lesbian, if that was what you were suggesting ... we're friends, I feel some sympathy and a bit of empathy, it was hard for me when I started uni - I have so clueless to how to reference and write.

This has turned into a very interesting post and discussion ... the ending was pretty good actually. I said no continuously and now she's giving it a go, she just asked me if I can proof read and edit for her. smile

Nikolas #1756426 09/21/11 07:34 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Nikolas

I Agree SO MUCH with this! I'm so tired of all the complaint and the ability of a lot of people to skip the personal responsibility. They just feel it's someone elses' fault and nobody seems to feel the need to better themselves!

Maybe.... but this is something I'm rather uneasy about. It's easy to say 'don't blame the system' when I'm one of those people whom 'the system' most favours -- white, middle-class professionals from white, middle-class families.

I used to teach in colleges in the slum areas of North London (you know, where the riots were :/), and many of the students I dealt with had to fight 'the system' all the way. Often they were extremely poor black and asian people, often from first-generation immigrant families. They frequently didn't speak English all that well, and had no family history of education beyond primary school. Frequently they didn't understand English culture and the (mostly English, white, middle-class) staff frequently didn't understand them. They didn't know or understand many of the unwritten conventions about how educational works in the UK. They didn't, and couldn't, use middle-class professional language in their written work, and this created a bad impression among people who have a dogmatic idea about what academic writing should like like. And so on.

And yet some of these folks flogged themselves into the ground to get an education. I had students who would study all day and then work all night. I had students bring their young families to classes because, well, because what else would they do with them? Some had families who were still living in the old country, in conditions of war and famine.

It must have been ten times harder for some of these people to get along in education than it was for me, and will be (I hope) for my children. Many of them failed; many blamed the system. But if you've worked and worked and worked and still failed, what else do you blame?

kevinb #1756509 09/21/11 10:40 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Question to mods: This is one of the greater threads in PW. But it's quickly turning rather political/social... Can we carry on for this case, please?

Before I post...

(PS. I was going to reply to Kevin, but decided to check first. Thank you)

Online Content
You do not know how to write good questions then. If you write questions requiring a thorough understanding of a certain subject matter, it is hard to cheat. Even an open book exam will become very difficult.
It sounds like you're talking about essay questions(otherwise the difficulty is irrelevant in terms of cheating). But teachers have limited time to grade papers so tests that are exclusively essay questions are highly impractical.

You need only one person to ensure none of the students work together. There are several ways to reduce the chance for them to work together, (1)increase the numbers of questions so that everybody will under pressure to finish their test. Therefore, the good students have no time to help others. (2) Use exactly the same questions, but scramble the numbers, so that there will be less chance that the students who sit next to each other will have the same sequence of questions. It is hard to work together if the sequence of the questions is not the same.
Although scrambling the order of questions may help and I've known a few teachers that did that, this poses other problems. There are four answer keys to make out to start with. There still may be a student with the same version within eyesight of a student who wants to cheat. Your suggestion making the test so long that the students will be under greater pressure to finish would result in some students not finishing the test.[/quote]

About the audition, it is very unlikely people who are lacking in all aspects of music like what you described will be able to beat your Pianist No.2 who has well rounded musical knowledge.
Your reply ignored much of what Kreisler said about other conditions that might cause a student to do a poor audition.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/21/11 11:17 AM.
Online Content
Some posters may not be aware of the extreme pressure to do well for some high school students today(especially perhaps those in elite urban private schools).

An extreme example would be the case around 5-10 years ago of a terrific in every way NYC private school student who committed suicide by jumping out of the school window afer being caught cheating by a teacher. This was not a student who regularly cheated on tests.

I bring this up to point out that "everybody does it" is not always the rationale used by students for cheating.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/21/11 11:33 AM.
kevinb #1756549 09/21/11 11:41 AM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by kevinb
Maybe.... but this is something I'm rather uneasy about. It's easy to say 'don't blame the system' when I'm one of those people whom 'the system' most favours -- white, middle-class professionals from white, middle-class families.

I used to teach in colleges in the slum areas of North London (you know, where the riots were :/), and many of the students I dealt with had to fight 'the system' all the way. Often they were extremely poor black and asian people, often from first-generation immigrant families. They frequently didn't speak English all that well, and had no family history of education beyond primary school. Frequently they didn't understand English culture and the (mostly English, white, middle-class) staff frequently didn't understand them. They didn't know or understand many of the unwritten conventions about how educational works in the UK. They didn't, and couldn't, use middle-class professional language in their written work, and this created a bad impression among people who have a dogmatic idea about what academic writing should like like. And so on.

And yet some of these folks flogged themselves into the ground to get an education. I had students who would study all day and then work all night. I had students bring their young families to classes because, well, because what else would they do with them? Some had families who were still living in the old country, in conditions of war and famine.

It must have been ten times harder for some of these people to get along in education than it was for me, and will be (I hope) for my children. Many of them failed; many blamed the system. But if you've worked and worked and worked and still failed, what else do you blame?

This.

I've taught in similar circumstances. Exhaustion from dealing with acoholic/abusive spouses (and, yes, males and females can be abusive) and the emotional habits that lead to that, minimum-wage jobs that won't accomodate school class schedules, disabled children and no place for child care, PTSD from several wars ago, any number of hidden stresses that we may not know about, can lead to behavior we might not otherwise condone in ourselves. Besides the fact that, as far as I can tell, all of us have at some time or another, gotten a break that wasn't "earned" at that moment. Nikolas gave good examples of circumstances when having a history with someone can help a current performance be forgiven if it isn't quite up to snuff.

Did I, when I caught blatant copying on tests or homework, fail the copiers on that particular task? Yes, I did. But it's hard for me to make blanket statements about right and wrong. In the circumstances in the OP I, too, would have said no and offered to help in other ways. But I also have given tests with extra time, allowed head phones to block out distractions (including internal ones), counted homework more than tests for some people, and made other accomodations for people. It's a real balancing act, and I don't think it's a human possibility to always get it right. I know some specific times when I didn't.

So my moral absolutes aren't very task specific laugh They are more like, always do the best you can given the knowledge you have and the situation you are in.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
If I have to have brain surgery I think I'm hoping that the brain surgeon got a 97 on his papers & exams & not a 67!!!!

And I'm sure hoping he didn't "cheat"! grin

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
Diane... #1756626 09/21/11 01:31 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Diane...
If I have to have brain surgery I think I'm hoping that the brain surgeon got a 97 on his papers & exams & not a 67!!!!

As a person who was involved in medical education for some years, I have to say that I would have been impressed with a medical student who got 67% in one of my exams, and gobsmacked if anybody got 97%. The pass mark for university medical exams was 40-50%, as it was for most other subjects.

You might like to thing about that as you're preparing yourself for surgery smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
It sounds like you're talking about essay questions(otherwise the difficulty is irrelevant in terms of cheating). But teachers have limited time to grade papers so tests that are exclusively essay questions are highly impractical.

Not necessarily, you can write multiple choice questions that can be answered only if you totally understand the topics.

Although scrambling the order of questions may help and I've known a few teachers that did that, this poses other problems. There are four answer keys to make out to start with. There still may be a student with the same version within eyesight of a student who wants to cheat. Your suggestion making the test so long that the students will be under greater pressure to finish would result in some students not finishing the test.

It does not need to be long, the test can be short but the students must utilize all of the time that they have, don't let them have enough time to do something else.

Your reply ignored much of what Kreisler said about other conditions that might cause a student to do a poor audition.
Because he made up unrealistic conditions.

kevinb #1756632 09/21/11 01:43 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by kevinb
Originally Posted by Diane...

As a person who was involved in medical education for some years, I have to say that I would have been impressed with a medical student who got 67% in one of my exams, and gobsmacked if anybody got 97%. The pass mark for university medical exams was 40-50%, as it was for most other subjects.

You might like to thing about that as you're preparing yourself for surgery smile

My main point is that I'd rather have a brain surgeon operate on me who had done the hard work himself then a brain surgeon who "cheated"!
Just saying! grin

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
stores #1756635 09/21/11 01:44 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

It is apparent that you do not live in a real world.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission