2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Kreisler #1755928 09/20/11 11:29 AM
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Just to be clear, if I were offered $50,000 to write a 10-page essay on the history of the string quartet, I would TOTALLY DO IT.

How's that for honesty? laugh

Sheesh, I would write a 10-page essay on the history of constipation for that amount.

D
D
You know it's wrong but would you do it?

As a poor, penniless music student, didn't you sign an agreement of academic honesty/integrity at that college?

If discovered, it could jeopardize both of you when you wish to graduate.

IMHO, you have an interest in this female student that goes beyond writing a paper.

Edited to add: "Don't compromise yourself." Janis Joplin

Last edited by DianneB; 09/20/11 12:20 PM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Maybe I should find another form of self-defense. smile

I hear a gun is good for that sort of thing. grin

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
Arctic_Mama #1756036 09/20/11 02:18 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama
I managed to make it through all my schooling and college without helping someone cheat on paper, and that includes the times I was so poor I was sleeping on my friends' floor and living out of the back of my old car. It's not as difficult to maintain integrity as one might think, when you are committed to it wink

As someone who finds life to be an endless source of moral complexity, I find this kind of certainty enviable.

Based on the scant facts at hand, and no information whatever about the personal circumstances of the people involved, I wouldn't have the first clue how to offer even a vague opinion about the ethics of this case.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The ethics are very simple...if it is against the school's rules of conduct to turn in work that is not your own, which I am certain it is, then it is wrong to do so, and wrong to be involved in that enterprise.

If its a do-or-die situation where the student will fail otherwise, then do as Apple suggested, and help the student with another chore so he/she has time, and perhaps help with editing/smoothing out, but it should be the student's body of work you are editing.

If you will starve without the money, go to the local church or shelter and get a meal, and/or offer to do something such as word-processing on the side for students (of their own work).

There is always a way to avoid cheating / lying / stealing.

Last edited by rocket88; 09/20/11 03:02 PM. Reason: clarity

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
rocket88 #1756053 09/20/11 03:01 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88
The ethics are very simple...if it is against the school's rules of conduct to turn in work that is not your own, which I am certain it is, then it is wrong to do so, and wrong to be involved in that enterprise.

What some of us are saying is that the lines change when we're talking about survival or 'getting by.'

If we're talking about doing it not for survival or getting by, but more for the heck of it, then I'd say it's how you're saying.

Mark_C #1756057 09/20/11 03:19 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C

What some of us are saying is that the lines change when we're talking about survival or 'getting by.'

If we're talking about doing it not for survival or getting by, but more for the heck of it, then I'd say it's how you're saying.

Kind of reminds me of the President who said,

"I did NOT have sexual relations with THAT woman!"

Everyone will always remember it was Bill Clinton!
In my eyes, HE'LL always be poor!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
rocket88 #1756074 09/20/11 03:46 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K

When did school rules become a moral code? I think I must have missed where they were emblazoned on marble tablets with holy fire smile

For me to conclude that something is unethical, I need a better explanation than 'it's against the rules'. The behaviour described in the OP might be unethical but, if it is, being against the rules is the _result_ of its ethical status, not the _cause_ of it.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The implication that morals and ethical standards are dependent upon proscriptive rules and that, by extension, if a rule is not stated any conduct which breaks the (implied) rule is acceptable is beyond my understanding.

In the context of the original question where the arguments of life and death situations were not implied, it is also hard for me to understand the precept that there are varying degrees of cheating, some of which seem to be acceptable to some while others are not; where do such people draw the line? Do they subscribe to the old saw that "it's only cheating if you get caught"?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
kevinb #1756088 09/20/11 04:14 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by kevinb
...The most flagrant example I saw was a case where someone had directly copied another students work using a photocopier and submitted it with a different name on top. But it was obvious that this had been done because the original was in colour, and the copy in monochrome. And even in that case the students got away with a slight telling-off smirk
When I taught high school I sometimes told students that were copying homework "Why not go to the library? There's a new machine there that "copies" homework but in your own handwriting." Several took me seriously.

The reality is that at a typical high school there are hundreds of homework assignments copied at least in part every day.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/20/11 04:25 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Maybe I should find another form of self-defense. smile

I hear a gun is good for that sort of thing. grin

I'll think about it! laugh

ChopinAddict the GunWoman

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

BruceD #1756105 09/20/11 04:45 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by BruceD
In the context of the original question where the arguments of life and death situations were not implied, it is also hard for me to understand the precept that there are varying degrees of cheating, some of which seem to be acceptable to some while others are not; where do such people draw the line? Do they subscribe to the old saw that "it's only cheating if you get caught"?
I've had some intelligent and very nice students express that opinion. I never understood it. I think the concept of cheating is independent of what one thinks of the ethics involved. No different than trying to say one is innocent of robbing a bank if not caught.

At the school I taught at for 23 years cheating was considered far less of a crime than stealing. Stealing meant automatic expulsion but cheating got several warnings from the administration. Plus the admin would sometimes not support a teacher if the teacher said they saw a student clearly attempting to look at another student's paper during a test. I think they were afraid of lawsuits.

On a geometry test I gave one of the questions required the student to make a diagram illustrating a theorem. The student "cleverly" lettered the diagram so that it contained several obscenities. When I told the student this was inappropriate(thinking that would be the end of the conversation), the student actually repeatedly claimed that his choice of letters was pure chance. He even said the same thing to the dean of students.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/20/11 04:51 PM.
Online Content
The "funniest" example of a student's cheating I experienced as a teacher occured on a geometry test with a statement-reason proofs. The student who knew how to do the problem had two statements using the same reason. For the second statement he wrote "Same as step 3". The student who did the copying could not read the other student's reason for step 3 so he left the reason blank. But he still copied the "Same as step 3" as a reason for the other statement.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It happens all the times. Many high school students hire professional writer to write their essay to get into good schools. It does not mean that they are not good students. The competition to get into big school names are very fierce. Those kids who apply to big name schools are smart, involve in all kind of activities. One thing that can differentiate them is essay. That is why the essay MUST be great.

If I were not in the same class with the person who request for my service, I would have gone ahead do it. Nothing they can do to me, because I act as a professional essay writer for that person. Isn't this the same kind of service that a professional speech writers provide to their clients?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
It happens all the times. Many high school students hire professional writer to write their essay to get into good schools. It does not mean that they are not good students. The competition to get into big school names are very fierce. Those kids who apply to big name schools are smart, involve in all kind of activities. One thing that can differentiate them is essay. That is why the essay MUST be great.

The problem is that if the student has hired a writer, then the essay isn't differentiating the student. It's differentiating the writer. In my mind, it's the same as writing false information on your resume - saying that you have such and such experience and such and such awards, when you have none of it. Yes, a school may be very impressed by a made-up resume -- but it says absolutely nothing about the student if it's all made up.

Sam
kevinb #1756143 09/20/11 06:19 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

When did school rules become a moral code? I think I must have missed where they were emblazoned on marble tablets with holy fire smile

For me to conclude that something is unethical, I need a better explanation than 'it's against the rules'. The behaviour described in the OP might be unethical but, if it is, being against the rules is the _result_ of its ethical status, not the _cause_ of it.

It is generally unethical to unilaterally break a written contract with someone. When one begins university studies, he/she has to agree to a written contract to follow all of the rules and codes of the university. By cheating, he's breaking that contract.

By the way, when you submit a college application, you have to sign that all of the information you've submitted is correct to your knowledge. When the application asks for an essay written by the applicant, and you submit an essay written by a hired author for the college app, then you're lying when you sign the final page indicating that all of the information is true. (It is not true that you wrote the essay.) That is also unethical, aside from the fact that it's cheating.

Sam
pianojerome #1756144 09/20/11 06:19 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianojerome

The problem is that if the student has hired a writer, then the essay isn't differentiating the student. It's differentiating the writer. In my mind, it's the same as writing false information on your resume - saying that you have such and such experience and such and such awards, when you have none of it. Yes, a school may be very impressed by a made-up resume -- but it says absolutely nothing about the student if it's all made up.

It is the school responsibility to confirm the facts. The main purpose of this admission essay is to make you stand out among all great students applying to these big schools.

BruceD #1756146 09/20/11 06:22 PM
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BruceD
The implication that morals and ethical standards are dependent upon proscriptive rules and that, by extension, if a rule is not stated any conduct which breaks the (implied) rule is acceptable is beyond my understanding.

Regards,

Organized sports do teach that the consequence of violating rules are to be weighed against a perceived advantage.

pianojerome #1756147 09/20/11 06:22 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

It is generally unethical to unilaterally break a written contract with someone. When one begins university studies, he/she has to agree to a written contract to follow all of the rules and codes of the university. By cheating, he's breaking that contract.

By the way, when you submit a college application, you have to sign that all of the information you've submitted is correct to your knowledge. When someone submits an essay written by a hired author for the college app, one is lying by signing the final page. That is also unethical, aside from the fact that it's cheating.

It is reality of life.... you'd better aware of this.
If the schools want to ensure that the applicants really write the essay, make them write under supervision like taking CPA test. The schools are not oblivious concerning this matter, therefore, many other variables used to come up with the decision.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

It is the school responsibility to confirm the facts. The main purpose of this admission essay is to make you stand out among all great students applying to these big schools.

It is the student's responsibility to supply reliable facts.

Your last statement is akin to saying: it's ok for people to commit crimes, because it's the police's responsibility to confirm that people aren't breaking the law. Yes, the university has to confirm the facts, but that doesn't give the student the right or the obligation to lie.

Sam
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission