2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (anotherscott, 20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
SS3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi all, I am new here, and wish to get some advise for buying a digital piano.

I was playing keyboard for four years when I was little, and now would like to get back to it, but with digital piano. Mainly just for fun.

One of my friends is going to sell her 1 yr old Roland F110, asking for $800. I've been reading a few reviews, and the main negative seems to be the action of the keyboard. I was just wondering,

(1) Is this important for a beginner like me?
(2) Is $800 a reasonable price?
(3) what's the risk to buy used one? warranty? condition? ...

Also, for my situation, any other recommendations? My budget is around $2000 for new one.

Many thanks in advance!

S
S
that sounds like a fair price. It's not a steal. I think that was a 1200 piano new - maybe 1000 on special. Just guessing. I think that has the same action as the FP4 or FP2 - I had an FP2 and really liked the action.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That is a reasonable depreciation for a current model DP. The action in the F110 is the same as in the RP101 and RP201, 2 of Roland's most popular models. It is the lowest level of Roland's current actions, but of good quality and highly reliable. IMO, the action is on the light side, but good for many purposes.

When the F110 was introduced, it's street price was $1500 and not long after dropped to $1250, the lowest for a Roland console for some time.

The rumor is that a replacement model or upgrade will show up in the next 3-4 months, January at the latest. Because of that, you may start to see more available new or open-box in the $1000-$1200 price range.

The piano's warranty is one of it's biggest selling points...5 years, in-home. However, my belief is that warranty it to the first owner and not transferable. Roland Warranty details

Considering how strong Roland's warranty is for new, it shows incredible confidence in their products. FWIW, I've not seen or heard of any issues with the F110's.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by SS3

Also, for my situation, any other recommendations? My budget is around $2000 for new one.

If you can spend $2K then there are MANY options open to you. First are you going to play "Piano" or "Keyboard"? A piano is a very specialized type of keyboard and it is defined by the type of key action.

THe F110 uses Roland's ""Alpha" key action which is (I think) not nearly ar nice are there non-alpha keys. But these light keys are sometime liked by people who play non-piano sounds. Some people even like non-weighted "syth action" keys. It depends on what you want to do.

With $2K to spend and if you like Roland and want their better not-alpha keys then you could buy an FP7-F.

Go to one of the big retail chain stores and bring headphones and play different pianos and make note of which key action is inside each. Then come back here and say which you liked and which you did not like and why and then people can give suggestions about what you might want.

S
SS3 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by ChrisA

If you can spend $2K then there are MANY options open to you. First are you going to play "Piano" or "Keyboard"? A piano is a very specialized type of keyboard and it is defined by the type of key action.

Thank you very much all for your replies.

I would like to try to play "Piano". I strated to learn keyboard when I was 5, after got interested from pre-school. My parents were very supportive and got me yamaha 49-key keyboard (it cost them quite a lot, back two decades ago). Four years later, my music teacher suggested to either upgrade to 61-key keyboard or change to playing piano. For various reasons, I stopped the lesson afterwards, however, I always wish one day I could play piano.

As I am used to the sytn-key action, my technique was not good, that I feel struggly when I try to play acustic piano. However, I would like to start from scratch to improve my technique (not sure how easy would be, if mainly learning myself). Since the technology of DP is much advanced nowadays, and they are easy to maintain/move, more versatile, relatively cheap, thus I thought this could be a good start for me.

I put my budget at $2k mark, thought I could get a reasonable good one, may last longer (I may change my mind now,after reading more posts). You are right, I need to go the stores to try out and see what I feel like.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission