2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"...Yes, but how to make my teacher agree ... not to mention that it would put me four "grades" back at my recitals ..."

Yeh "teachers" hmmmm!!!*! grin

Seriously though, you could Google "Dr Dianne Hardy, Diagnostic and Prescriptive Sight Reading Program" and print of this article for your teacher from the Piano Pedagogy site.

It's here

If I was to get a teacher now, I guess key questions would be around this topic. My experience was with a teacher who did not feature sight-reading at all, other than the first play through of a piece and pushed pupils up the grades as quickly as possible and without adequate consolidation at each level.

A
A
Great article, Elwyn! Thanks for sharing.

Starting over after a decade-long hiatus from playing!
Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EJR
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Originally Posted by EJR

But I now try to stay away from "Black Hole" pieces (they suck in all your practice time to the exclusion of nearly everything else), and now focus on many more simpler pieces ... which is a far better approach.

Well, if you feel pieces really are such a drain on your reserves then staying away from them is right for you.

Personally I like a mix of, say one hard piece that really stretches me and makes me work on technique -and several short more "playful" pieces that are immediately (or fairly quickly) quite satisfying.

I really like the challenge of the pieces that I feel pull me up to a higher level of ability. I have worked on one or two pieces for 2 months or more. Not full time though, that would bore me - I like to mix things up.

I like a mix of pieces too grin : sight reading, 1 week on a piece that's 1 grade higher and 3-5 weeks on a piece that's a grade higher than that. But for me a "challenging" piece would be one that's 3 or more grades above the sight-reading level (and a 'black hole' piece probably harder still).

Here's a thing though:

"...I really like the challenge of the pieces that I feel pull me up to a higher level of ability..."

I'm starting to think that whilst this is a commonly held view, that I'm not sure it actually works if the piece is too hard. My experience is that it doesn't.

There seems to be two key "limits", what we can learn in extremis at our physical decoding & deciphering upper limit. The lower limit is defined by our sight-reading fluency level. If the gap between the two is more than a couple of grades then there's a problem.

I think what raises our 'grade' is work rooted in our sight-reading level including studying pieces +1 and +2 grades above for relatively short time (1week / 1month). Working on pieces above this range can often be fun and absorbing, but I'm not sure it is of any help.

In the time I can learn one challenging piece right at the upper limit, I can probably sight read 100+ pieces, cover 12 or so of the 1-a-week pieces and about 3 of the 1-a-month pieces (and possibly a lot more if the "challenging" pieces was a 4+ month one).

Off course the reason to put in this effort is in order to learn the "challenging" pieces, but in 1 week to month (but eventually)!

I sincerely hope I didn't offend! - I just meant that piano should be enjoyable (especially for those of us of a certain age who take it up as a passionate hobby, not a career option!).... I really do think it is an excellent strategy to avoid what feels like "black hole" work.

I agree with your ideas on the limits - and I think that having a number of pieces that are immediately playable or require not too much of a stretch is a must - and then I like the challenge of that harder piece that might take a few weeks to a month or more. But you are right - that "harder piece" still has to be in a certain range.

Last summer my teacher gave me a piece to "sink my teeth into" and though I could play it after about 6-8 weeks, I wasn't playing it really well (I was not ONLY playing this piece, btw). We talked about it after the fact and she said that she was really making me stretch and in retrospect perhaps too much. In a way I didn't mind, because it was a very interesting piece... but at the same time towards the end I got a bit sick of it and then didn't even look at it for about six months, whereas I generally to play all my hard-earned repertoire regularly.

I played it again last night and it was SO much easier and sounded pretty good. I may refine it some and play it in a recital later this fall.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by EJR
"...Yes, but how to make my teacher agree ... not to mention that it would put me four "grades" back at my recitals ..."

Yeh "teachers" hmmmm!!!*! grin

Of course, I'm just as bad wink

It's here

If I was to get a teacher now, I guess key questions would be around this topic. My experience was with a teacher who did not feature sight-reading at all, other than the first play through of a piece and pushed pupils up the grades as quickly as possible and without adequate consolidation at each level.

I read that link some time ago; though re-reading it gave me more food for thought. I think I'm doing a reasonable job at "catch-up" in sight reading by myself. Do I really want to just do grade 4 pieces until I can sight read them well? Probably not ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
JanGMc Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks to all of you for your replies! Because of the insights you've offered, I can look at my process in a more realistic way. That's made for more relaxed practice time, and I hope more relaxed lessons.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I noticed that pretty much everybody count "time"... I tend to count "repetitions"....
meaning that I "guesstimate" the number of times I need to repeat a certain piece to be able to play it fluently.

I consider easy a composition that I can play in less than 10 repetitions, average in 30 to 50... hard if it takes more than 100 times to get fluent in my hand... and too much if I can't handle it in 250 or so.

that just to play the notes at 90/100% of performance speed... interpretation, nuances, 105% of performance speed... they might take a lifetime as well be elusive forever.

A
A
I translated to time, but often I count repetitions too (and I think I actually got the idea of keeping track of this with hashmarks from you, Ataru laugh ).

Per section of music, if it is at my level it often takes me less than ten repetitions to get each hand playing correctly and dynamically at tempo, and then between ten and twenty to get it clean and reasonably paced at speed. Another day to sleep on it and then polish any rough spots and a piece that is genuinely at my level and well under control will be ready for play in two or three days, hence my guesstimate above smile

For example, a simple level two piece I learned on Saturday for my kids' homeschooling was the children's song "Father Abraham". I spent about a half hour and ten repetitions of each hand and then hands together on it, plus some ironing out of a measure or two that had some trickier progressions. It was polished for ten minutes on Sunday and then I accompanied them with only a stumble or two on the second repeat (while singing it at the same time as playing) this morning. For me, that progression of learning to playing is typical of a piece I consider at my level. I can't sight read it prima vista perfectly by any means, but it takes fairly minimal effort to make sound nice.

Doubling the repetitions for up to two levels above my current one sounds about right as well, in terms of time it takes to learn, as your formula suggests. Beyond two grades or so above my skill level the effort expended isn't worth the payoff. I'd learn more in the long run playing five or ten pieces at my level than one three grades above it smile

Starting over after a decade-long hiatus from playing!
Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude
S
S
It depends on how familiar I am with the technique in the piece. I've been working on The Entertainer for about 4 months now, but I had no stride bass or octave technique to begin with. The pieces I was learning before that (Beethoven op. 49/2 and a Telemann Fantasia) took a month or two to get to a passable level, but those had mostly familiar technique.

I guess it also depends on when you feel a piece is "done." I'm a perfectionist, but I have to draw the limit somewhere. :P

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission