2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 162 of 341 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 340 341
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Here's a rendition of Body and Soul with a modified melody...mistakes made but I only record once. I've avoided this tune for so long because it seemed hard to come up with something passable. But it seems to come easier now. All comments welcome.

Body and Soul
http://www.box.net/shared/st2kadn7833h8h0m0z7l

Hey jazzwee, I'm just getting around to listening to this... been out of town. Sounds nice! It seems like you get more comfortable with the feel as you get further in. Just keep subdividing smile.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell

Thanks for sharing this Chris. Kenny mentions Facing You as being KJ's greatest solo album... I've always thought so too!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss

I just a new version up on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeK8VfFlZRk

Beeboss... very cool on this Embraceable You. Lot's of great harmonies and it really brings a new light to this tune. I know what you mean about it being difficult to connect improvisational ideas to the arranged reharms. I can't do it satisfactorily at all yet, so I just have to compose the whole thing smile. I like all the space in your arrangement but I think it might be nice to raise the intensity at some point or get some momentum going for awhile. But don't get me wrong, it's good the way you do it already!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
By the way, I got together with my old drummer friend and a new bass player a couple of weeks ago to see how we might click as a trio. It was really good! I'm looking forward to our next rehearsal. We're going to start working out some arrangements and hopefully hunt down a gig soon.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
Here's a rendition of Body and Soul with a modified melody...mistakes made but I only record once. I've avoided this tune for so long because it seemed hard to come up with something passable. But it seems to come easier now. All comments welcome.

Body and Soul
http://www.box.net/shared/st2kadn7833h8h0m0z7l

Hey jazzwee, I'm just getting around to listening to this... been out of town. Sounds nice! It seems like you get more comfortable with the feel as you get further in. Just keep subdividing smile.

Thanks Scott. If I did an immediate second recording, I would have figured the feel out. It's perfect now. I just turned the backing track on and started playing without getting the feel right in my head. It was the first time I played against the backing track.

The recording I was using as an example was in double-time latin feel so that's why I was a little messed up with the time. And I don't play a lot at ballad tempo.

Hey we missed you Scott. My teacher actually used your wording on me. He actually said I was "wandering" on some of my playing smile

That's great you've got a trio going. Keep us updated and maybe make some recordings if you start rehearsing (or gig).

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
First of this autumns gigs.
Moon and Sand
Bouncing with Bud
It would be interesting to hear your comments.

In an effort to play "looser" the drummer looses his tightness, the bassist needs to work on his intonation and I need to work more with a metronome.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Bouncing with Bud was really fun sounding. Difficult head. But beyond that you were completely at ease and really well constructed lines thumb Sounded great!

I don't know Moon and Sand but that sounded really good too.

You've got a nice solid trio.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hey Chris, great playing. I love those tunes, in fact directly after I heard your bouncing with bud I had to go a play it for about an hour. I am really into those Alec Wilder tunes at the moment, i had a quick go at moon and sand a whole ago and noticed that the real book changes were a bit different from what jarrett plays. Can't remember the details now though.

Jazzwee if you don;t know standards vol 2 you haven't lived
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ypNllMLj4

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Jazzwee if you don;t know standards vol 2 you haven't lived
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ypNllMLj4

LOL. Apparently, I'm not yet alive! Well I can't buy everything from KJ. It's always too expensive. That always slows me down.

So what are the MUST HAVE albums? Be sparse here smile (I have 10).

Typically I enjoy the ECM ones more.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Chris, great playing. I love those tunes, in fact directly after I heard your bouncing with bud I had to go a play it for about an hour.
Thanks all.
Btw: In Jarrett's version of BwB he does not solo on the changes in the head, so I choose to follow the Master. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So what are the MUST HAVE albums? Be sparse here smile (I have 10). Typically I enjoy the ECM ones more.

With the Standards Trio I suggest: Standards vol2 + Live, Whisper Not, At The Blue Note, At The Deer Head Inn, Still Live, Tokyo '96, Tribute, My Foolish Heart - live at montreux.

You can find most of them on iTunes.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From the same gig, my own tune WJR

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

So what are the MUST HAVE albums? Be sparse here smile (I have 10).

Typically I enjoy the ECM ones more.

the ones Chris suggested are all great

or these ...

my song
belonging
personal mountains
nude ants
at the blue Note
Changes
Standards in Norway
facing you
radiance
la scala
etc etc

standards 2 is a particularly good one, but he did do standards v1 and changes on the same day!!

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
, Whisper Not, At The Blue Note, .

Those are two of my favorites. I have that entire Blue Note boxed set collection, love it !

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I hesitated in evaluating my collection because my iTunes is all messed up (computer crash). So I don't have a complete listing.

But I just have some of the preferred ones.

I have: Still Live, Standards in Norway (not complete), Blue Note (some), Out of Towners, a bunch of recent solo piano stuff (missing at the moment), then I have a mix of stuff in a 'Priceless Jazz Collection: KJ'. I have a Standards DVD (Video) somewhere.

So it looks like I'm not appreciating KJ as I should. Shame on him for charging too much money and slowing me down smile

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Chris, I just got around to listening to your recordings... nice stuff! I like the feel on Moon and Sand. It kind of reminds me of some of the stuff on George Cables' "Why Not". If you haven't heard that album I would definitely recommend it. And your ending is great!

Sounds like you just still need some work on Bouncin' With Bud. That's a tough head. I did it solo with some transcribed stuff for one of my juries in grad school and it was a real pain. I think it just needs a little more punch and you'll have it. I'm sure once you all get more comfortable it will lock in better. KJ's version on Whisper Not is the definitive version for me so I like your take on it cool.

Your original tune is also really cool. Great changes and the melody flows nicely out of them. And I really like your ideas beginning around 1:50 going through 2:30... the left hand movement is really interesting.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
First of this autumns gigs.
Moon and Sand
Bouncing with Bud
It would be interesting to hear your comments.

In an effort to play "looser" the drummer looses his tightness, the bassist needs to work on his intonation and I need to work more with a metronome.

Nice Chris. I play both of those tunes. It sounds to me like the drummer in M&S is plodding or dragging the time a bit in the first part but he sounds more in the flow towards the end of the tune. It takes a lot of technique from a drummer to play that floating ECM straight 8th groove, soft but with intensity without playing too far back on the time. I thought you played a nice solo, I could have used a few more melodic type motifs overall. It could get a little "liney" sounding to me in places. But that aside I thought it was cool. I too liked your ending on it....

On BWB, you played some nice things in the solo but again I felt the rhythm section holding you back a bit. The drummer didn't sound particularly like he was swinging very hard and the bass player was basically just going with him. In other words they weren't helping you along all that much imo. I'm just guessing here, but I think you might sound better playing with a good rhythm section on an Aebersold recording then here. Yeah that head is really tough ... cry

So now having said all that I'll open myself up here to scrutiny with a solo recording I did of BWB a few years ago. My only disclaimer is the fact I tried to play it on my old Yamaha CP300 digital piano. Some guys can do it on digital pianos but I really need a solid acoustic action to pull off all my nuances. So that being said, there are a few places were I hear technical and flow issues.
But anyway here it is.

http://www.divshare.com/download/15722494-1e0

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by custard apple
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Originally Posted by custard apple
Hi Dave F
I just went into your Soundcloud and listened to your Days of Wine and Roses which I've just finished studying as part of my Joy of Improvisation course. I really liked your choice of voicings which sounded nice and interesting and modern, and I also liked the movement between your voicings.

Thanks ca, much appreciated. I have a chart somewhere around here..if I can dig it up....

Hi Dave F
That's very nice of you. No rush, whenever you have time. Thanks again !

Good luck reading my writing... laugh Seriously, it ain't that bad. I never got around to learning the Sibilius thing.

If you do have any note questions let me know.....

DOW&R
http://www.divshare.com/download/11648719-ac9
http://www.divshare.com/download/11649503-9db

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Yeah your writing is pretty good actually smile
Thanks very much Dave for providing your sheet for me. You do things which are out there but they work really well e.g. for your 1st measure in F maj, your RH has #5 whilst your LH has b5, I didn't know you could alter major chords like that.
It's going to take me a long time to learn your arrangement. I played it extremely badly. But at least now my eyes can follow what my ears couldn't work out in your cool arrangement.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

Very nice Dave! It was quite a treat to hear you fill this out in solo piano. It was an unexpected approach as it did not sound like bebop during the solo. And some really nice voicings in there.

This back and forth got me interested. Maybe I should learn this. Might take a while with that head though. Sounds like it's hard to get perfect.

My Jazz Blog

Page 162 of 341 1 2 160 161 162 163 164 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission