2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 5 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kona, I think you're getting mixed up in semantics. While the CLP990 may in fact feel like a grand piano, it's action, the mechanics and physical construction are not the same as a real grand piano action.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kona, I think you're getting mixed up in semantics. While the CLP990 may in fact feel like a grand piano, it's action, the mechanics and physical construction are not the same as a real grand piano action.

K
K
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes

Here is a good sounding vid where you can see it being played.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68m7DztSh58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo4ExG-fu6g

Last edited by Kona_V-Piano; 09/10/11 11:45 AM.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think some folks need to get out and play acoustic pianos and also take a look inside.

This reminds me of the discussions where someone asks if their piano is incomplete since it lacks dampers for the top octave and a half.

People, go out and play acoustic pianos and stop reading the advertising.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
In the difference of real piano action vs. compact action simulation...

[Linked Image]
Versus...
[Linked Image]
Versus...
[Linked Image]
Versus...whatever design is in your CLP990? I hope this is now clear. I'm not sure what action is in the CLP990, but I'm sure it is not the first type. I am curious like Kawai James.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
K
K
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
In the difference of real piano action vs. compact action simulation...

[Linked Image]
Versus...
[Linked Image]
Versus...
[Linked Image]
Versus...whatever design is in your CLP990? I hope this is now clear. I'm not sure what action is in the CLP990, but I'm sure it is not the first type. I am curious like Kawai James.

I understand what you mean. If I ever need to take it apart, I will post the pictures.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kona_V-Piano
I understand what you mean. If I ever need to take it apart, I will post the pictures.

@Kona:

Were you referring to your Yamaha, or, the Roland V-Piano?

Please do not take your V-Piano apart for any reason since that would void your warranty, and, only let a Roland technician take care of any issues, etc.

There has been talk of why the V-Piano has such a large outer case, and, both Steve & Zachary have been keen to note that it's probably due to a larger than usual action, giving the piano its nearly acoustic-like feel.

Perhaps "krzyzowski"* might eventually be willing to open his up, since I know he had acquired a used/damaged unit to begin with, as we all would be curious to know what's going on inside!

That could be a real eye opener to get a review... with photos?

*And, here is the quoted text of his post:

"V-Piano is a rugged machine; Bought mine damaged. Got a great deal. Big dent in it. UPS guy laughed as he carried the pieces out of the truck. He wondered why I didn't file a claim told him I bought it that way. Came in a plain box with no packing, just laid in there. Put it all back together and use it every day. Still has a dent in the keyslip."

K
K
Originally Posted by pv88
Originally Posted by Kona_V-Piano

@Kona:

Were you referring to your Yamaha, or, the Roland V-Piano?

Please do not take your V-Piano apart for any reason since that would void your warranty, and, only let a Roland technician take care of any issues, etc.

There has been talk of why the V-Piano has such a large outer case, and, both Steve & Zachary have been keen to note that it's probably due to a larger than usual action, giving the piano its nearly acoustic-like feel.

Perhaps "krzyzowski"* might eventually be willing to open his up, since I know he had acquired a used/damaged unit to begin with, as we all would be curious to know what's going on inside!

That could be a real eye opener to get a review... with photos?

*And, here is the quoted text of his post:

"V-Piano is a rugged machine; Bought mine damaged. Got a great deal. Big dent in it. UPS guy laughed as he carried the pieces out of the truck. He wondered why I didn't file a claim told him I bought it that way. Came in a plain box with no packing, just laid in there. Put it all back together and use it every day. Still has a dent in the keyslip."

No way I am opening up the V-piano. And yeah it is good to hear that is is a rugged machine too. I was talking about my CLP990 which probably has a similar action as the original Graded Hammer but with Spruce (heavier) keys and a couple of extra sensors than the GH3 has. Other than that it is probably not some groundbreaking design, it just happens to be really good for its time and the fact I have zero keys broken and I play hard means it withstood the test of time as well.

Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
The CEUSmaster is not the CEUS reproducing system for the acoustic grands. The CEUSmaster had no built-in speakers. It had the usual array of stage-ready outputs and headphone jacks...so think of it as a stage slab with the most expensive action possible.

There is shared "CEUS" technology in both related to their uniquely accurate sensor system. Probably some other things, too.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up!

Home piano: Yamaha P2 upright
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pv88

Well, to set the record straight, Steve and I both wondered why the V-Piano's PHA III action feels different than the PHA III inside Roland's other boards, but honestly, if Roland had a special action for the V-Piano, they'd be proud to market and advertise that. The difference in feel is due to unique tone generation inside the V-Piano combined with the the physical construction of the V-Piano. I played a V-Piano the other day for the first time in a while, and I have to say, hats off to Roland, they nailed how a piano behaves. It's a very playable instrument.

K
K
Above, I spied actions, which are always fun to look at. Some might not remember this thread

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...20took%20my%20AvantGrand%20N2%20apa.html

where this picture of the interior of the Yamaha AvantGrand N2 was posted.

[Linked Image]

When I saw that, I thought, Cool, that might actually be worth $10k.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
K
K
I found something interesting from Yamaha. Now I don't know if the natural wood keyboard in the CLP990 is the one they describe since GH3 did not exist yet when the CLP990 was released. To me it feels nothing like the GH3.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article...amp;offset_page_id=1&last_page_id=10

What is the difference between the natural wood (NW), graded hammer (GH3) 3, graded hammer (GH), and graded hammer standard (GHS) keyboards?

Back to the list
Go to Product Information

Last Update: 10/14/2010
Each of the keyboards is explained below.

NW keyboard: This keyboard has the same structure as a GH3 keyboard, but the white keys are are all cut from the same plank of natural wood, just like in an acoustic piano. Using our wood-working skills gained from making pianos, we are able to keep keyboard vibration and warping to a minimum. We have achieved the solid feeling of a grand piano.

GH3 keyboard: This keyboard has Yamaha's proprietary third sensor, the Damper Sensor. It enables the pianist to play the same note in rapid succession without cutting off the sound, enabling performances only possible on a grand piano. As with the GH keyboard, the lower keys are heavier and the higher keys are lighter, faithfully reproducing the differences in feel.

GH keyboard: In pursuit of the feel of playing on a grand piano, the lower keys are heavier and the higher keys become lighter, the touch response changing gradually through the different registers, thus creating a natural touch response on the keyboard.

GHS keyboard: This keyboard is based on the concept of the GH keyboard, but uses lighter parts. This decrease in weight all reduces the overall weight of the instrument. The selection of a keyboard is greatly influenced by the preferences and sense of the indiviudal, so we invite you to come and play several products for yourself.

Last edited by Kona_V-Piano; 09/10/11 10:45 PM.

M
MzrtFan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Now, that's a real grand piano action right there! Awesome pic! Thank you for posting this.

It almost makes me want to buy one... I'm still undecided... I'll probably come to a decision in another year or so, haha!

M
MzrtFan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Regarding my original question: today I went to the Kawai dealer in my area to play the CN33 again, and while I was there I asked the store owner about the possiblity of Kawai coming out with a product like the AvantGrand. His answer was probably not, due to the fact that Kawai spent a lot of time and effort developing the RM3 action to be as close as possible to the real thing. I actually think that's a very plausible answer, even though he's not an "insider" at Kawai, just a dealer.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'll go out on limb here and give a common sense comment or two regarding actions - not based on any real knowledge per se.

The actions that use wood in the keys don't affect the action per se but give the guys in the advertising department something to differentiate their product form the rest. It looks nice, and for some gives it an organic feel (whatever that means) - it always comes across as a plus.

Graded hammers - this just means that the upper keys in the action require less downward force to depress because the keys themselves are lighter.

In a real piano action there are weights in the keys. As you travel from the lower notes to the top notes in an acoustic piano you'll see (and possible feel smile ) three to seven or so graduations of weighting. The makers of digital keyboard actions do the same but to a much less degree. This also give the guys in advertising something to write about.

Graded hammers in a digital keyboard action is just hype as far as I'm concerned since the actions in the overwhelming number of digital keyboards are already pretty light to begin with. Making some of the keys even lighter to make the action more 'realistic' borders on unnecessary hype as far as I'm concerned, but it does allow the guys in advertising to write wondrous claims.

R
R
Schimmel also have Silent versions called Schimmel TwinTone

Last edited by reza; 09/11/11 06:08 AM.
R
R
Even with this full acoustic piano action in models like N1/N2/N3, I think there is something missing in Dynamics part of the action especially regarding repeated notes.

R
R
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Thank you for the information.

It seems like the CLP-990 was a really great instrument - I wonder why they took several backward steps with future generation models?

Cheers,
James
x

I also impressed with the features of the CLP990, it is still superior to the most of Clavinova series. Man 88 keys samples, 80 MB sample memory, 5 dynamics levels. It is wonderful. New Clavinowas are definite down grades.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
80MB samples was very large for the time but some of the samples in my Nord NP88 are just shy of 200MB and those are tiny compared to the software samples. I wonder what the size of the samples are inside the CP5, RD700NX, MP10, and even inside the AvantGrands...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The sample used for the GranTouch was 30 MB. I used that sample for 12 years and never felt that it lacked anything. (It also only had 32 note polyphony ... and I never felt or heard any notes dropping out as a result of hitting the limit.)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission