2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
sh1 Offline
S
Originally Posted by EO3
Yup, I looked it up and FP4F is also branded as SuperNatural piano. So sound for piano probably is the same, but action is different. So it might be that FP4F is not that expressive as FP7F. As for portability - currently I will not need to move it around, later it could be few times per year. I think this isn't the case that FP7F is not portable as such, it's just that it's a "headache" to do so.

Ah in that case go for the FP7F. It's worth it for the superb action. Plus it IS portable ie it can be lugged from room to room, but just not venue to venue! My problem was that I needed a home piano to double as my stage one, and the FP4F fits that bill due to its lighter weight.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sh1
Having owned both I can say they sound identical to me...it's certainly a 'Supernatural' piano and since there is only one offered on the FP7F anyway I'm assuming it's that.

I must say I doubt Roland would produce subtley different versions of their main piano sounds across four different models(700NX, 300NX, FP7F, FP4F). The difference seems to be in the number of variations available in the more expensive models ie the flagship 700NX includes Concert, Studio, Bright etc.

Possibly, however my experience playing an RD-700NX and RD-300NX connected to the same amp/speakers was rather different - I preferred the sound of the 700NX.

A DPBSD recording of the FP-4F would confirm whether or not it is indeed the same piano sound as the FP-7F.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
I don't 100% agree with sh1 on the FP-7F backache factor, unless you have to contend with a lot of stairs at home or at the gig.

I have a Kaces Keyboard Porter (expensive, granted: cost me around US$180) which is soft but fits the 7F snugly and has wheels and stiff sides. At home I lift the 7F once, from my Roland V-Stand into the open Kaces bag. I wheel the bag to my wagon, pivot it in and out, wheel it into the gig venue and unpack it. At this point I do have to lift the 7F onto the stand, and for that one task I lift one end and get help on the other. After the gig it's the same routine in reverse.

So I never actually carry the 7F around -- if I had to do that I'd leave it at home and take my 12-1/2-lb Yamaha NP-30 ($269, springy unweighted action; I've come to tolerate, even half-appreciate the Yammie).

E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
One thing more - what about FP7F low gain issues I have heard about (problems using it on stage, what about recordings?). Is it easy to fix?

B
B
Originally Posted by EO3
One thing however - it seems that FP7F has unbalanced outputs as most DP's , I guess it won't be an issue while recording if cable isn't too long?

EO3,

As long as you use good quality, shielded TRS cables and connect to a balanced input, then you can get a good quality signal. You can also avoid cabling/analog input by recording on the FP7-F and copying the wave file onto a USB-drive, then sneaker-net the file to your computer.

Regards,
Bob

NY Steinway A 1907, FP-7F wi RPU-3
HW: GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-930, 6GB & 2ea WD2002FAEX, 1ea WD1001FALS1TB, UA1000, Yamaha 2.1 HSM80M/HS10W, DPA SMK4061, Mackie LM3204
SW: Win7 Pro x64, Sonar PE 8.5.3, NI Komplete 8 Ult, Ivory Grand Pianos II
M
M
E03 wrote:

"One thing more - what about FP7F low gain issues I have heard about (problems using it on stage, what about recordings?). Is it easy to fix?"

Yes. The FP-7F has a Master Gain function (see Function menu) which allows you to boost gain up to +12 db. However, it does not survive power-off. I haven't used this in a recording context, but it's useful with quirky PA systems.

E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi,

Just to let you all know, today I got FP7-F! So glad this is finally over (for now smile ). Piano sounds great. One thing probably discussed previously - you really need to check it with good headphones. Because inbuilt speakers are much lover quality - when you plug in headphones (or good monitor speakers), quality difference is very noticable and that's a good thing, it just shows how capable SN piano is.
Thanks for your inputs and suggestions.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Congratulations, EO3! I think you made a great choice: the FP-7F is a really capable DP. I was playing jazz standards on mine for a couple of hours yesterday, accompanying a female singer in rehearsal, and it sounded and felt just great.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EO3
Hi,

Just to let you all know, today I got FP7-F! So glad this is finally over (for now smile ). Piano sounds great. One thing probably discussed previously - you really need to check it with good headphones. Because inbuilt speakers are much lover quality - when you plug in headphones (or good monitor speakers), quality difference is very noticable and that's a good thing, it just shows how capable SN piano is.
Thanks for your inputs and suggestions.

Congratulations, EO3!

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission