2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
87 members (Akaitsuki, Baltguy, AndyOnThePiano, anotherscott, Blague, 36251, An Old Square, almo82, 17 invisible), 814 guests, and 404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
R
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
I agree Rick. One more heavy setting would be perfect. I have to say though, I feel I'm being selfish! Nord continues to improve its products, and we're still wanting more! smile I have fallen in love with the Bosendorfer all over again. I'm finding it more playable. Maybe it's a bit of placebo effect going on, but it seems to behave more authentically.

Cannot wait to go home and try it. I've been using the Bright Grand at my rock gigs lately and it really sounds great. I will need to revisit the Bosendordfer with the new firmware.

I agree, there is always more to want. Right now Clavia gets my continued appreciation for continuing features and sample releases.

Last edited by rickshapiro; 09/07/11 10:58 AM.

Music Hack

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.
N
N
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Wow that was quick ! Tomas had me sworn to secrecy on this just the other day. I thought it would be at least Nov. till they announced it...good for them, good for us. cool

Dave,how long have you known, that this update was coming ? smile

north

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Wow that was quick ! Tomas had me sworn to secrecy on this just the other day. I thought it would be at least Nov. till they announced it...good for them, good for us. cool

Dave I noticed over on the Nord Forums you mentioned possibly having another go at the NP88. Will the addition of the LR to the NP88 influence you further? I feel that the overall sounds are smoother, with more natural decays. Could be me expecting to hear a difference thus producing some bias, but I don't think so.

Kawai MP7SE w/ GFP-3
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by voxpops
This is probably a dumb question, but why would they make it a switchable effect in other models? If it makes for a more realistic (and playable) piano, when would you turn it off?

When I got the Stage 2, I was pleasantly surprised at how much of an improvement Long Release makes compared to the Electro 3... it's a much more significant difference than the improved string resonance, IMO.

I suspect that the reason they allow you to choose to turn the feature on or off may be marketing. By saying "you might want to turn it off," they are saying that there is nothing "wrong" per se with the older (and I'd say inferior) implementation, that it's just personal preference. In fact, I think it might be more honest to say that the plain Nord piano samples without this feature decay unnaturally quickly, and LR was implemented to fix that, but from a marketing perspective, that's problematic, when you're still selling models that don't have this feature. Looked at that way, it makes sense that they want to promote the idea that the non-LR versions are equally good, just different, and so making the feature switchable would be consistent with that. But I will be very surprised if anyone here tries both and decides they like it better without the LR implemented!

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by anotherscott
This is probably a dumb question, but why would they make it a switchable effect in other models? If it makes for a more realistic (and playable) piano, when would you turn it off?

When I got the Stage 2, I was pleasantly surprised at how much of an improvement Long Release makes compared to the Electro 3... it's a much more significant difference than the improved string resonance, IMO.

I suspect that the reason they allow you to choose to turn the feature on or off may be marketing. By saying "you might want to turn it off," they are saying that there is nothing "wrong" per se with the older (and I'd say inferior) implementation, that it's just personal preference. In fact, I think it might be more honest to say that the plain Nord piano samples without this feature decay unnaturally quickly, and LR was implemented to fix that, but from a marketing perspective, that's problematic, when you're still selling models that don't have this feature. Looked at that way, it makes sense that they want to promote the idea that the non-LR versions are equally good, just different, and so making the feature switchable would be consistent with that. But I will be very surprised if anyone here tries both and decides they like it better without the LR implemented!

That certainly makes sense! Oh, the deviousness of the human soul!!!

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
N
N

That certainly makes sense! Oh, the deviousness of the human soul!!!

I agree.

and in the updated manual you can see, that by default the 'long release' feature is turned off.

""Long Release Mode
Activating Long Release will add a slightly longer release to an acoustic
or electric piano. This is equivalent to what happens when you adjust
the damper tension in an acoustic or an electromechanical instrument. Release compatible pianos are of version 5.3 or later.

If a piano sound is selected that isn’t compatible with the Long
Release feature, this function will not make any difference to the
sound.
Range: On, Off (default)
""

north

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by north

Dave,how long have you known, that this update was coming ? smile

north

I received an email from Tomas at Clavia about a week ago informing me that this was coming, but he didn't say when. Like I said, I was surprised it happened so fast.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, CP4
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by safari70
Regarding 'long release', ........ (and it seems stores don't update their NPs so won't be easy to hear the improvements).

This is a very good point. In fact the only store in LA ( W. LA Music) with a Nord Piano (in a box, not on the floor-I had to talk the sales guy into breaking it out, he wasn't overly thrilled with that) didn't even have the Bosendorfer sample loaded in, much less the newer yamaha sample--just the Grand Lady D & Studio Grand 2.

So hearing the latest upgrades are next to impossible.

Dave I noticed over on the Nord Forums you mentioned possibly having another go at the NP88. Will the addition of the LR to the NP88 influence you further? I feel that the overall sounds are smoother, with more natural decays. Could be me expecting to hear a difference thus producing some bias, but I don't think so.

Sure. I'm still taking my time here and considering the P155 as a cheaper lightweight alternative to the CP5. I'd like to schlep my speakers (yet again cry ) into the GC to hear the Yamaha and the NS 2 88. At least that will give me a more general point of reference with regard to the long release and Bosendorfer sample.
I don't see the point in hearing the NP88 at W LA with my speakers since it's basically the way it was when I sent it back last Dec.

Basically I don't think headphones always tell the whole story, especially when using this stuff live....and especially for a picky, pia guy like me. laugh

If I do go the NP route again it will be on a leap of faith for sure......

2005 NY Steinway D
A
A
What is the LR feature supposed to do? I can't notice any difference, or I might just have f***ed it up since I don't know how to use this macbook. :p

Nord Stage 2, Nord Lead 4, Rhodes MkII, Yamaha MOX6, Novation SL MkII
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Auver
What is the LR feature supposed to do? I can't notice any difference, or I might just have f***ed it up since I don't know how to use this macbook. :p

Have you also loaded the 5.3 version pianos? You'll need those before you hear any difference.

Others who still own this piano wink can correct me, but it should make legato playing smoother, and generally sound like the pianos have a more natural (longer) decay time.

Last edited by voxpops; 09/07/11 02:50 PM.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
smile I have fallen in love with the Bosendorfer all over again.

This is the sample I always return to (on my tiny NE3HP, long release smile but no XL frown ). Am trying out others (Yamaha Grand 2, Grand Lady D, Bright Grand) but always come back to the Boesendorfer in the end. If only the group D#5, E5, F5, F#5 (a stretch group in the L sample? and only mf and louder, ppp-mp it's all fine) would be a tad smoother - all would be wonderful.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
J
J
Great! Now we have Long Release too, no need to envy the Stage 2 guys.

Nord Piano | Yamaha S90ES | Yamaha MOX 8 | Neumann U87 | Metric Halo 2882
R
R
Okay, can someone tell me how to "hear" the difference. I've loaded the new firmware and library. I've flipped the long release on and off and cannot feel or hear the difference?

Rick

Music Hack

Nord NP88,Yamaha Motif ES7, Ensoniq KS32, Brodmann 187 Grand, JV2080, GR20, JV90, MKS-20, Sonar S1, Reaper, ACID, Record/Reason, Samplitude, VOX Tonelab, Tech21 Power Engine, NI, Kore, True Piano, Sampletank, Komplete, Bluesky Studio Monitors Yamaha 01X, Line 6 HD500, tons of guitars.
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by rickshapiro
Okay, can someone tell me how to "hear" the difference. I've loaded the new firmware and library. I've flipped the long release on and off and cannot feel or hear the difference?

Are you playing things that rely heavily on the sustain pedal? Try playing pieces that use minimal or no sustain pedal.

R
R

Are you playing things that rely heavily on the sustain pedal? Try playing pieces that use minimal or no sustain pedal.

I was trying with no pedal. I do not understand when the release kicks in.

Music Hack

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
I was trying with no pedal. I do not understand when the release kicks in.

When you let go of a key. Without long release, the note is essentially immediately clipped tight when you lift your finger, like the damper has been quickly sucked down onto the string. With long release, there is the more natural slight extra harmonic ring after you let go as the damper "falls" onto the string.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Rick, I noticed a difference not just in the release and decay, but also in the overall tone of the Bosendorfer in particular. It may be placebo effect as I've said, but to my ears, it seems to be improved.

Kawai MP7SE w/ GFP-3
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
To be honest, I wasn't hearing a huge difference myself when I was switching the LR off & on on the NS2 88 at the GC. I'd play a line with it on and it did seem (maybe it was psychological ?) a little less harpsichordy but it wasn't a big noticeable night & day difference in the sound when I switched it off either...strange.

I tested engaging and dis- engaging on all the NS pianos--the Bosendorfer, Grand lady and Studio Grand 2.

I'm thinking maybe the difference will be more pronounced through speakers then the phones I was using ? confused

2005 NY Steinway D
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
it did seem (maybe it was psychological ?) a little less harpsichordy but it wasn't a big noticeable night & day difference

I think "less harpsichordy" is a good description; and how noticeable it will be may depend on how bothered you are by the Nord's "harpsichordiness" to begin with.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Try playing staccato...

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High end speaker v.s. a real sound board
by NavH - 01/20/22 10:33 AM
VST? Get an external DAC.
by Bruce In Philly - 01/20/22 10:19 AM
Vertigo, Pianos, and Earbud Speakers
by ClsscLib - 01/20/22 10:07 AM
Welcome New Members!
by Piano World - 01/20/22 09:53 AM
Memorization: Corea vs. Zhdanov
by Emery Wang - 01/20/22 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,259
Posts3,162,504
Members104,096
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission