2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 74 of 106 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 105 106
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Put long stakes in the garden so my beans will climb. Later, I'll plan to climb the thing and see if the giant does, in fact, have a grand piano.

Looking forward to the weekend...some down time and some shop time. Life is good!

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Well, it is not always about pianos here. Sometimes I get interesting requests to manufacture or assist with making an unusual project.

A while back a young fellow contacted me a while back seeking assistance with his project of building a shadow box. The box was to be built with side rails to hang earrings on, but he also wanted to have a music box component to this item.

I thought this would be an interesting and fun project to do, so I kept a record of the progress to completion.

The photos are mostly screen shots of a design program. Then there are photos of the coloring and finish. At the end there is a small video sample of the music that this unit will play. I am not a fan of Pachelbel Canon in D @ 415.3Hz but it is pleasant enough…..

One more thing; my shop cat was fascinated by this project and loved the music box when it played. If you watch closely on the left side of the video at 1:25 she hears the music from the garden and comes into the shop to sit and watch the roller in the music box go around. You can see her coming through the doorway….

Shadow Box

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow Dan that's pretty impressive.
Maybe your cat thinks you're going to fill it with kitty litter. smirk

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks Sparky,

The cat; she is a funny one for sure. Either litter pebbles or full of food would be her choice…..

It was a fun kind of project. We had to do the video at the end several times over; I was trying to imitate those PBS educational videos without laughing; some of them came out sounding like Mr. Rogers and are quite hilarious….”hello there friends”….like that…..mistakes in the language and on and on….in one of the videos I state that this is the finished music box and then open the lid with no hinge attached….stuff like that……

I’m gone…gotta get to the courts……..

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dan, nice job...!!!

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Nice, Dan!!

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
W
W
I finnished off some cosmetic work on my 1875 Bremond Organ Music box , as its due to go to Auction in 2 weeks smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Les, Rick,

Thanks for the compliments.
cheers,

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ordered an A-440 fork. The pure 12ths D3-A4 temperament is working pretty good. Don't know if I will continue to use a C-fork for smaller pianos or not. 4:2 octaves and pure 12ths meet in the middle of spinets. No real need to set the temperament within a 12th.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Nice easy day today... I only tuned 3.

1. A KG-5C grand, replaced wicks, tuned to A/440. Pd. $170.

2. Tuned a Yamaha C3 that I did a year ago, beautiful piano. I arrived for our appointment, he forgot. I went home, ate an early lunch, called him, he couldn't apologize enough. I went to my 3rd tuning early, went back and tuned this piano for him. He was so appreciative that I came back today that he gave me $25 extra for "gas" how nice! Pd $175.

3. Tuned a Yamaha grand Model G0. I tuned it last in 2001. It was 1/2 tone flat. Raised it to pitch, tuned up nicely. Cleaned the piano a little bit too. Pd. $180.

smile

Tomorrow, I'm working on a Yamaha C7 action. I'm filing hammers, dismantling the action from the key frame, cleaning and lubricating everything and then I'll be regulating the action on my bench.

Thursday, I'm tuning 2 pianos in the morning and then I'm returning the action in the afternoon at which time I will also tune and voice it. That's a nice job too. It should come out great!

Friday, I'm tuning 3 more pianos then I have a service call and then we're heading up north to the cottages for yet another week of vacation.

I'm so busy now that I'm booked solid all the way through September. I slowly starting to turn my 3 a day schedule into a 4 a day. Won't be long and it'll be 5 a day again which I am desperately trying to avoid! But, we'll see! At least it's great to be busy!

I love this job!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
That coral snake chose the wrong driveway to slither on today.......I snagged it with the pooper scooper (the only thing handy) while my son got a shovel. RIP coral snake......

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
The customer said he had a Lester piano and a key was stuck down, so I prepared him for the broken plastic elbow job. The GPS location showed a marina, so I called for directions.... "oh, we are at slip 27, come on in". I arrived at the houseboat to find a Lester Mini Piano with a key broken at the key button - an easy fix. I raised the pitch to 440, but some of the pins are barely holding, so I sold a pin tightening job. This piano is so light, no piano tipper will be needed. I'll simply lean it down on a 2x4. They take the boat out about once a month. They bought the piano for $50. The wife, a retired singer will be the player.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob
That coral snake chose the wrong driveway to slither on today.......I snagged it with the pooper scooper (the only thing handy) while my son got a shovel. RIP coral snake......

Just so you know, there is a common type of milk snake that mimic the colouring of a coral snake in order to deter predators. The easy way to remember is "Red on yellow will kill a fellow, but red on black is a friend of Jack."
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Milk_Snake

But even if it was a coral snake I think it is very cruel and ignorant to kill them on sight.
They are reclusive, eat pesty rodents and do their best to stay out of the way of humans.
In fact only one person has ever died from a coral snake bite since 1967 and he was trying to kill it.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

First day of piano tuning school for me smile

Piano Technician
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
That's great Dan, where's that? Newark?

Yea, Phil. The last course in the UK.

Which one did you do?

Piano Technician
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I was in the second-last intake at London Met. A great shame to lose that course, I hope Newark can take up the challenge and keep going!
Good luck with your studies smile

Cheers Phil!

The Newark course will be 40 years old next year (so I'm told) - let's hope it'll see many more!

Piano Technician
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff
Originally Posted by Bob

Just so you know, there is a common type of milk snake that mimic the colouring of a coral snake in order to deter predators. The easy way to remember is "Red on yellow will kill a fellow, but red on black is a friend of Jack."
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Milk_Snake

But even if it was a coral snake I think it is very cruel and ignorant to kill them on sight.
They are reclusive, eat pesty rodents and do their best to stay out of the way of humans.
In fact only one person has ever died from a coral snake bite since 1967 and he was trying to kill it.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

Thanks for the info, Sparky, but Coral Snakes are common in my neighborhood. They are not very reclusive here, as sightings around homes are common. There are plenty of other non-poisonous, vermin killing snakes here, and we welcome those with open arms. A Coral snake bite will put a person in the hospital for a few days - they are the most venomous snake in Florida and one of the most toxic in the USA.

Anti-venom is no longer made, and current stores of anti venom expired last year.

I'd hate for someone in the neighborhood to get bitten.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the info on the local snake situation there Bob.
I wonder why it is that they stopped making coral snake anti-venom?
I just assumed that hospitals would keep a supply of the anti-venom for whatever poisonous snakes populate the area.
(However being in Canada with no real poisonous snakes here, except one fairly rare rattler, I'm not too knowledgeable about the anti-venom policy of hospitals.
But thanks for being considerate to the good snakes out there.
thumb

Page 74 of 106 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission