2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
66 members (Chouca, achoo42, AaronSF, chopinetto, 36251, accordeur, ChrisGoesPiano, clothearednincompo, 17 invisible), 542 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Help from piano teacher needed regarding John Thompson
#1736382 08/19/11 06:58 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Hello, I am new here and I have a question that nobody has beenable tohelp me with sofar. My teacher and others I have asked have never been sure. Do you think that JT gr. 1 is grade 1, gr 2 is grade 2, then it starts being 2 grades per book, so 3rd grade book is grade 3 and 4, 4th grade book is grade 5 and 6, fifth grade book is grade 7 and 8? In ABRSM / Trinity,at least the boards with 8 grades? Sorry to bother you,but I was so amazed that I finally found one person that looked like knowing the JT books. Thank you so much in advance. Best regards Rune

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Help from piano teacher needed regarding John Thompson
runedubai #1736529 08/19/11 11:36 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Well, I have the books, Rune--- my mother learned to play using them, though my first piano teacher had other ideas about methods and I never studied from them myself. Each of the five I have says that it's a different grade. No idea of how they compare to the ABRSM grades, but they seem to move the student along pretty fast--- JT has them playing in as many as four flats toward the end of the first-grade book.

There are 50 lessons in grade one, and about 80 in grades two and three. They seem very short; I don't know if this really lines up with the weeks of the school year.

Those little illustrations are a kick--- no doubt, they are for the eyes of the parents who don't read music themselves, but who do catch a glimpse of a 'nice' middle-class world in them, for Daddy's little princess. It's just what my grandmother would have liked (and they are nicely-drawn), though their topics would have been horrid and shameful to the eyes of a little boy learning piano.

The later books seem to have less of them, and are almost entirely (probably adaptations) from the classical repertory. They were worn to tatters by the time I was a teenager--- my grandmother probably saw to it that my mom used them. That, or my mom ran a lawnmower over them.

Clef

runedubai #1736567 08/19/11 12:34 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
John Thomson book 2 is way below ABRSM grade 1. I've not honestly seen beyond book 2, so I can't say, but these books generally are for beginners. I would have hoped after ABRSM grades 1 and 2 to be off these kinds of books and into more real music, but that's just my opinion. smile

- wait, I'm talking about the JT easiest piano course. Is that the one you mean?

runedubai #1736581 08/19/11 12:53 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i love the John Thompson books and am probably among the few who do.. They do move right along. book 2 has technical studies and Haydn's gypsy rondo... lots of techinique hints packed on every page. Do read all the notes and make yourself understand every one before moving on. Thompson has a very 'classical' aura. I find they excellently teach 'ways' to play. ....the use of phrasing and stacatto for instance to teach one's hands how to approach the music.

If you are studying alone I recommend the Suzuki method piano books.. they make so much sense to me and have accompanying CDs.
I used to make fun of them, but after going thru books 1 and 2 with a student - I find they are very efficient and smart... and totally suited for one who wants to sight read.

I get so irritated by the series of learning books that have you buy 4 for each 'grade'.. what a waste of paper... and expensive... they are good for little kids maybe and I don't mean to disparage them.. There are some books well suited to adults.

best of luck to you.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
runedubai #1736745 08/19/11 06:19 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Someone still loves them, Apple. Our local music store has a whole shelf dedicated to the JT series; a whole wall dedicated to method books in general.

I don't know if Rune would be interested in doing the look-up, but there was a thread a year or so back concerning the real person, John Thompson.

I wonder if our Search feature is still the adventure it used to be...

Clef

runedubai #1736750 08/19/11 06:23 PM
Y
Y
I have only seen the John Thompson Grade 1 book and it definitely isn't comparable to Grade 1 AMEB, ABRSM, Trinity or whatever.

When I was learning piano my teacher took me about half way through this book before starting on the AMEB Preliminary exam material. So perhaps by the end of the book students will be at about this level.

Private Piano and Vocal Teacher.
runedubai #1736783 08/19/11 07:31 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Here's the thread: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1493397/Searchpage/2/Main/102639/Words/genealogy/Search/true/Re:%20Who%20is%20John%20Thompson?.html#Post1493397

runedubai #1736984 08/20/11 03:12 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Hello, all of you and thank you for your help.It is the first time anybody has replied - so I thought perhaps I was too stupid or somethung. I have a teacher, twice a week for 90 minutes each time. Adult learner. It is the JT modern course we are using. It was the only one I knew - and my teacher does not have any preferences. We are usingthe additional books too, like the JT Hanon, Velocity studies, LH books and so on. However, my teacher does not quite know the books, even thoughwe have sat down and gone through all 5 of them. The3rd grade books ends definitely on grade 4 Trinity / ABRSM level. When you look through the 4th and 5th grade books - they really look scary. I am towards the end of the 3rd grade book now and we will start playing sosme grade 4 exam pieces along with the rest of the book. I am not taking exams - I do it for pleasure. Thak you again, all of you. Best regards Rune

Jeff Clef #1736997 08/20/11 04:18 AM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
Those little illustrations are a kick--- no doubt, they are for the eyes of the parents who don't read music themselves, but who do catch a glimpse of a 'nice' middle-class world in them, for Daddy's little princess. It's just what my grandmother would have liked (and they are nicely-drawn), though their topics would have been horrid and shameful to the eyes of a little boy learning piano.

You've obviously got some issues here, Jeff! Want the name of a good analyst? :-)

runedubai #1737137 08/20/11 10:48 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I do my best to be obvious... not always with much success.

Clef

Jeff Clef #1737418 08/20/11 10:43 PM
C
C
I learned on John Thompson. I learned very well to read finger numbers and was slow to learn to read notes. Now that I'm teaching, I went back to check out JT, hoping they had updated it, but no, there was a finger number written for almost every note. What a very bad idea!

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

runedubai #1737535 08/21/11 06:43 AM
Y
Y
I teach from John Thompson quite often and find the finger numbers incredibly frustrating as well. I just white them out!

ymapazagain #1737729 08/21/11 02:50 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Most teachers absolutely cringe at the thought that anyone is still using this series. Why? Is it because millions of students were taught using John Thompson's materials; a few thousand actually learned to play the piano as a result (or despite it). Has anything come along since which is better? Absolutely. Why continue using this series? Is it ignorance of pedagogy learned over the past 80 years? Or teacher laziness? Or some other reason?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
John v.d.Brook #1737871 08/21/11 06:37 PM
Y
Y
I use a variety of method books depending on what I think would suit each individual student. I find that John Thompson (Teaching Little Fingers to Play) is good for students with some existing musical knowledge or students who pick things up quite quickly, as it progresses a lot faster than other method books. With other students, depending on their needs, I will use Hal Leonard or Bastien instead. Because I eliminate finger numbers and place a strong emphasis on note reading I don't encounter any of the issues that some seem to have with this method.

I use select songs from the JT Grade 1 book, however I don't have students work through the entire book as I think it gets incredibly repetitive and boring.

runedubai #1738431 08/22/11 02:46 PM
M
M
I'm also one of the few who loves the JT series although I do not use this for any of my current students and would not universally recommend it. All method books have their own style; they are not one size fits all - it makes me cringe how the same method books are recommended only knowing a student's age.

I would use the Modern Course for a *very* good student defined as one who listens and absorbs information readily (finger numbers are not a problem for those who understand they do not tell you the actual note), one who practices (all the other methods are extremely slow and each of these books only lasted me a few months when I was studying), and one who doesn't need fluff to keep playing (it's very dry compared to other methods). Even as I'm studying a different instrument, I personally prefer to use a method considered by many as too fast and too dry; it's just the right pace and style for me to use with a good teacher.

runedubai #1740334 08/25/11 10:27 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Dear all,
Thank you so much for the different opinions and ideas. I have a teacher, and dopractice at least 1 hour every day, 3-4-5 hours per day in the weekends, with several breaks. Sight reading books and theory in addition ( from ABRSM ). In addition to the "modern course" ( red books ) velocity studies, Hanon and left hand studies. My teacher told me that I have a normal progress speed. However, I am not able to play allegro or anything near it - and I am almost at grade 4. I am an adult learner - and have played for 2.5 years. 20 years of trumpet playing earlier. I am only playing for fun, but would like to have more security of where in the JT books the next grade starts. This, for a natural progress in the JT books from exam grade to exam grade. Again, thank you all. Rune

runedubai #1740493 08/25/11 04:21 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
You sound like a very determined student, Rune, and a much better-than-average practicer. You'll soon be far past the sheltered cove of method books, and out onto the great ocean of music.

Clef

runedubai #1740558 08/25/11 06:19 PM
T
T
I also can't believe that people are still using the JT course, or that it's even called a "modern" course! I think my piano teacher's teacher learnt with it... and that isn't usually a good thing in educational circles - it's like the classroom teacher who just does the same thing, year after year. Modern pedagogy has hopefully advanced since then. There are so many great options out there and I think half the fun is in tryin them out and exploring.

Tim Topham
www.timtopham.com
Inner Circle Piano Teachers' Community
Expert in Creativity in Music Education
Melbourne, Australia
runedubai #1741224 08/26/11 07:10 PM
timtophan.. what do you suggest. I have almost all the method books and prefer Thompson actually.. the others seem so repetitive.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
runedubai #1742853 08/29/11 07:20 PM
T
T
Have you looked at Alfred's Premier series? Most importantly, it has students moving all over the piano from the very first lesson and doesn't set any hand position as more important than any other. This gets rid of the 'thumbs on middle c' orientation which I find can cause problems later when kids always think that finger 2 = d, 5 = g, etc. The newer methods all have play-along CDs (don't think JT does?) which I find really encourages beginners to play more. I also like Hal Leonard's new adult piano method with 2 CDs - great for teenager beginners.

Tim Topham
www.timtopham.com
Inner Circle Piano Teachers' Community
Expert in Creativity in Music Education
Melbourne, Australia
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha C2x and C3x Cost???
by navi9187 - 12/02/20 04:10 PM
plz help ID this piece :)
by Chummy - 12/02/20 03:25 PM
CLP 735 vs CA49 vs HP704
by Einaudio - 12/02/20 02:49 PM
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,219
Posts3,029,758
Members99,451
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission