2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
In the Student Activities Center on campus, the piano is there and it is more or less encouraged for people to tinker around on it, so I enjoy playing it from time to time.

It depends on the situation. Though I had a fantastic time playing and associating with other pianists in NYC when Sing For Hope's Pop-Up pianos were around.

Conservatory of Music @ Brooklyn College
Piano Performance, Class of 2014
R
R
The majority of my early piano-practicing were on the hospital's Steinway piano. (The hospital was next to my apartment)
I probably clocked 100 hours on the public piano.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The last piano I saw in public had the sign, "If you know how to play piano, please play, otherwise, don't".

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
A
A
I would just look at it longingly, I'm too shy to play in public. If I *really* had that (completely out of character) urge, I'd look around for a manager or desk clerk and ask if I coukd play a few pieces. If I couldn't find anyone to ask permission, I would never assume it.

Starting over after a decade-long hiatus from playing!
Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BTW, in such situations, even when we've gotten permission, I think it's best to always start with something relatively soft and low-key, and 'feel out' how people are reacting and whether we're disturbing anything.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Dara
A generous friend visiting took me out to dinner on my 30th birthday to a pricey French restaurant in a rural setting. It was a quiet evening with only a few tables occupied. After dinner I inquired with the French owner/chef about playing a few of my pieces on his piano sitting in the restaurant. I played a short set and afterwards to my (and my friend's) surprise he wiped off our entire bill - over $200 ! And a young couple visiting from the States invited us over to their table and proceeded to order $150 bottle of Champagne, then another.... until finally the owner cut them off and told me privately they had already spent over $1000 that evening.

You must have played REALLY REALLY well !!!!! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
M
M
Unless you're Valentina Lisitsa, it's very rude to randomly start playing in public... but that doesnst stop even the most polite of us from doing it occasionally xD. I play the rehearsal piano at my school's theater before rehearsal for the musical starts every day.

MAH!
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I am amateur and not as good as you, piano corner posters. But I play any piano I find in public or out of sight. I travel on business too much (almost 50%), if I don't take advantage of pianos avaialble, I can never practice enough. The problem was my need to practice scales. I don't want to annoy people but I need to practice. So I made up combination of contrary and same motion scale with crescendo and decrescendo that I can practice scales and make it easy to listen. To my amazement, i had some people say, "wow, how nice! What is that?" I could not believe it.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Arghhh
The last piano I saw in public had the sign, "If you know how to play piano, please play, otherwise, don't".
The last one I saw had the sign "Please do not play the piano". I'm assuming it meant "please do not play this piano", rather than a universal prohibition! smile

To answer the original question, no, I don't play it.

Du holde Kunst...
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
....The problem was my need to practice scales. I don't want to annoy people but I need to practice. So I made up combination of contrary and same motion scale with crescendo and decrescendo that I can practice scales and make it easy to listen....

Nice!
I've had the same issue, and even though I have some exercises that I use regularly which are like that, I don't think I've ever dared play them in public! In such situations I try to find passages from actual pieces that fit the bill. But it's great to hear that you do OK with those exercises!

BTW, people often ask here about what kinds of exercises are best for developing and strengthening technique. I think interesting stuff that we make up, like what you said, can be the best -- and I mean for the regular kind of practicing, not just in public.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I was in Kansas City with a 6 hour wait for the train. In a fancy hotel across the street from Union Station, up on the deserted third floor mezzanine, tucked away in a far corner was an old Yamaha grand.

So I got to play some stuff.

Gary
Originally Posted by MathTeacher
I basically never play in public. But one time I was in a hotel with hundreds of other teenagers trying to qualify for the Jeopardy Teen Tournament. The wait was getting long, so I finally decided to play the piano which was sitting unoccupied for a long time. Then some man approached me and said "That's Beethoven, right?" and walked away. It wasn't until the next day that I realized he was TV actor. I had a feeling that there were other celebrities there than Alex Trebek. Anyways, no one was bothered by my playing, which was only about 10 minutes.

What piece did you play?

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I live by the rule that if it is not yours, do not touch it.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I've been visiting a lot of piano dealers...and have been invited to play on their pianos a lot, especially if there aren't a lot of people around. Mostly small stuff like a Kapustin etude, or his Variations, though I have played....the third movement of the Waldstein and the Liszt sonata...

Only when given explicit permission (or encouragement) and no customers around!!

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I see a piano in a public space it draws my curiosity and I can't resist going over to take a look. On occasion, with polite inquiry and permission I'll sit down and play. Pianos in other spaces/places are very tempting to try out. I've met some very interesting people by playing piano anonymously and sometimes it has led to performance situations. I respect other people's spaces and possessions so it's always been appreciated asking first.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Miles Martin
Unless you're Valentina Lisitsa, it's very rude to randomly start playing in public...

So every other pianist should not ever play in public randomly? Why her? Is she the only person you feel knows how to play? Hopefully not, since...well I'll leave your delusion untarnished...

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
... I scratch it with my keys! For no good reason... I'm just an evil person! grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
... I scratch it with my keys! For no good reason... I'm just an evil person! grin

C'mon now Nikolas,
Are you just being silly,
or presenting your angelic side?

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by Miles Martin
Unless you're Valentina Lisitsa, it's very rude to randomly start playing in public...

So every other pianist should not ever play in public randomly? Why her? Is she the only person you feel knows how to play? Hopefully not, since...well I'll leave your delusion untarnished...

I'm thinking the poster you're responding to is speaking in general terms, that is, unless you're quite good it's rude.....It's not about V.L.

That bit of defense out of the way, I don't think it really matters who you are. I understand that many people are curious about how a piano might sound, or would like to sneak in a little practice while on vacation or whatever, but it makes me pretty uncomfortable.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission