2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
OP Offline
M
And there are people around. Do you do nothing? Do you tinker around with it? Or you jump on and blast away your best piece?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It depends. smile

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Silly to have strong feelings about such a thing, but I simply would never commandeer a piano under those circumstances. Just strikes me as show-offy in the extreme.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Mark_C
It depends. smile

I guess you wouldn't do it if they were all strangers? What if they are mostly people who know you?

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by MathTeacher
It depends. smile

I guess you wouldn't do it if they were all strangers? What if they are mostly people who know you?

I doubt that, "in public," they would be mostly people who know me. In any case, I think that playing the piano in a public venue without a specific or implied invitation to do so would be presumptuous in the extreme.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by MathTeacher
It depends. smile

I doubt that, "in public," they would be mostly people who know me. In any case, I think that playing the piano in a public venue without a specific or implied invitation to do so would be presumptuous in the extreme.

Regards,

I couldn't agree more. But even if I know the people I'm not about to climb on board without an invitation. Even then, I'd be careful to assess whether they really wanted to hear something or were just being polite.

Edit: just to add, it's not (of course) as if I don't share the very human impulse to show others any talents or abilities I might have, But I have an even stronger desire to keep this need under wraps. And all that said, as to the former, it's an impulse that continues to wane as I age...

Last edited by cardguy; 08/29/11 02:17 PM.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
It depends. If it is a hotel piano where I'm staying as a guest, I'll ask the clerk at the front desk if I can play it. I bat about .500 on those requests.

If it is in a private home and I am a guest at some social function, I'll wait to be invited.

If it's got a "do not touch" or "do not play" sign, I respect the sign and refrain from playing.

If it's located in a place where there's no obvious person to ask permission, I'll play it as long as there doesn't seem to be anything going on nearby that I might be disrupting. I'll also play it if I see other people playing it and then leaving.

Originally Posted by Monica K.
It depends. If it is a hotel piano where I'm staying as a guest, I'll ask the clerk at the front desk if I can play it. I bat about .500 on those requests....

me2

Footnotes: Begging raises it to about .600. ha
Making advance arrangements raises it to maybe .800.

M
M
how much alcohol have I consumed ? 1-5 , show off, 5 - 10 , try and steal it.

Last edited by MadForBrad; 08/29/11 03:00 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Monica K.
It depends. If it is a hotel piano where I'm staying as a guest, I'll ask the clerk at the front desk if I can play it. I bat about .500 on those requests.

If it is in a private home and I am a guest at some social function, I'll wait to be invited.

If it's got a "do not touch" or "do not play" sign, I respect the sign and refrain from playing.

If it's located in a place where there's no obvious person to ask permission, I'll play it as long as there doesn't seem to be anything going on nearby that I might be disrupting. I'll also play it if I see other people playing it and then leaving.

Good answer.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Lucky me! I don't play piano in public, so it is not an issue.

Leave it alone!

JN
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Depending, as has already been said, on the circumstances. If it won't interrupt anything then i'll play for as long as i like, not to show off but i usually just improvise little pieces for myself. I have done this a few times before, the oddest occasion, i would think, was when i came across a piano in a chinese takeaway and played something! The kitchen staff even came out to applaud me! smile
Of course, if it's in someone's home i wouldn't play it at all.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by TheCannibalHaddock
the oddest occasion, i would think, was when i came across a piano in a chinese takeaway and played something! The kitchen staff even came out to applaud me! smile

I think it is actually good justice for workers who are bored as heck. Listening to someone play would be a much needed remedy for them.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A hotel? If I feel like playing, I'll sit and play.

I can't go pass a piano store without stopping in and pretending I'm interested. I always drop that I'm an engineer, and I'm never bothered by the salesmen besides the occasional "oh, please come try the 9-ft concert grand in the back room."

Someone's home? I pretend like I don't notice the piano and hope I'm not asked to play something.

Weird, eh?

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Although I don't sit down and start playing, I can't resist checking to see if it's in tune. It's sort of an ongoing poll with me. (they're never in tune)

i just check the brand and raise my eyebrows or not.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
M
OP Offline
M
I basically never play in public. But one time I was in a hotel with hundreds of other teenagers trying to qualify for the Jeopardy Teen Tournament. The wait was getting long, so I finally decided to play the piano which was sitting unoccupied for a long time. Then some man approached me and said "That's Beethoven, right?" and walked away. It wasn't until the next day that I realized he was TV actor. I had a feeling that there were other celebrities there than Alex Trebek. Anyways, no one was bothered by my playing, which was only about 10 minutes.

B
BDB Offline
B
Under the usual circumstances that I have such encounters, I tune it.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A generous friend visiting took me out to dinner on my 30th birthday to a pricey French restaurant in a rural setting. It was a quiet evening with only a few tables occupied. After dinner I inquired with the French owner/chef about playing a few of my pieces on his piano sitting in the restaurant. I played a short set and afterwards to my (and my friend's) surprise he wiped off our entire bill - over $200 ! And a young couple visiting from the States invited us over to their table and proceeded to order $150 bottle of Champagne, then another.... until finally the owner cut them off and told me privately they had already spent over $1000 that evening.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission