2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone,
I would like to invite everyone to share your experience when you first learn or your first encounter with the piano. What went through your mind when you touch the piano for the first time in your life.
I know some started playing when they are really young, so you might not remember the feeling. In that case, share the emotional highlights of your piano enthusiasms.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

I remember knowing that the piano was going to be the thing I would dedicate my life to, from the very first moment I started to play. Later on, I knew it was going to be a lifestyle that would literally save me from depression and chaos. I've always had very few friends (sometimes none at all) and I'm very introvert; so the piano became my best friend. Furthermore, I'm a very difficult person, so my relationships with girls have always been short, but they keep coming and going. The vast majority of them can't deal with the fact that I suffer from anxiety and have to take painkillers and antidepressants (I've been five years with meds, and, actually, I must confess I'm addicted). Hence, the piano became not only my best friend but somehow the way I could escape from "real life" and discover new worlds of music, beauty, poetry and passion.

That's what I remember.

jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
It is very true that music can reach a person's emotion like no other,and particularly piano. What you say is very accurate that a piano can do so much than just making sounds.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Interesting question. I don't remember when I touched a piano for the first time... Probably when I as very small, at a relative's house.

But what I do remember is funny, because apparently, at some point in my childhood (I must have been pretty young) my mother asked me if I wanted to learn how to play the piano (she told me this story after i started to play piano as an adult). She said that she told me that I would have to promise to practice, and she said we talked about it and I ended up saying no, because I didn't want to promise to practice. She didn't want to force me, because she didn't want me to end up hating music. Well, I never learned piano, and at some point, maybe in junior high or high school, I really wanted to play piano. But there were other things going on, I knew we couldn't afford a piano etc etc. So I grew up with this "I always wanted to play the piano, but never had the chance" story about myself.

At the age of 30, I had the opportunity to borrow someone's professional quality stage piano. I fell in love with it immediately, taught myself how to read bass clef (I already knew treble) learned a few songs on my own and quickly decided to take lessons and get my own piano. The rest, as they say, is history.

After I bought my first piano (a digital) I remember talking to my mother and I said something like "you know, I always wanted to play the piano" to which she was like "what are you talking about? I offered, you said no!" we had a pretty good laugh about that! In the end though, we both agreed that it probably worked out for the best. I was never forced to take lessons or practice against my will, so I never had any negative feelings associated with it. I came to the piano when I was ready, and it has turned out to be one of the most important things in my life.

Sorry, I know that's not exactly what the original question was...

I will say this, though. I think as a small child I was intimidated by the large black upright at my relative's house. I wonder if that had something to do with my declining mother's offer...

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 08/26/11 11:31 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Before I took lessons, I remember playing Soul (LH & RH), Chopsticks, the thing you do on the black notes with your knuckles, etc. on the old upright that was downstairs in the den...but later...

I clearly remember my first piano lesson and first practice session. I was 10, (5 decades ago). My teacher had explained to me how to read the notes. After he left, I painstakingly figured out both LH and RH notes to "The Woodchuck", the first piece in Schaum's Book A. I clearly remember looking at the music and feeling exhilarated that I could read it. I also remember being thrilled by the harmony. From that point on, I was hooked.

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, my first piano memory is crying profusely before the keyboard. I was seven and a crybaby. I'm glad my parents disciplined me.

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
haha, it's one of the things that you want to hit yourself with because of the foolishness of youth. Just like my story of not joining the choir, and now regretted it. Your story is good though. I never had the chance to play until I went to college.

jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by gooddog
Before I took lessons, I remember playing Soul (LH & RH), Chopsticks, the thing you do on the black notes with your knuckles, etc. on the old upright that was downstairs in the den...but later...

I clearly remember my first piano lesson and first practice session. I was 10, (5 decades ago). My teacher had explained to me how to read the notes. After he left, I painstakingly figured out both LH and RH notes to "The Woodchuck", the first piece in Schaum's Book A. I clearly remember looking at the music and feeling exhilarated that I could read it. I also remember being thrilled by the harmony. From that point on, I was hooked.

I think I can sympathize with the experience, although I was older. I remember the first time I stepped into the piano classroom and thought to myself, "What have I done?" I was really nervous because how could little old me play anything? That was good memory.

Last edited by jed1988; 08/27/11 06:33 PM.
jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Lain
Well, my first piano memory is crying profusely before the keyboard. I was seven and a crybaby. I'm glad my parents disciplined me.

ahahahahah, good short and sweet story. Trust me if I was younger when I stepped into the piano class for the first time, I would have cried too. I couldn't because I was to old to do that!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Growing up my dad bought an old upright player piano. We had a big stack of player piano rolls, and I remember going through them playing them randomly. Well, playing them at the time wasn't the fun part, but rewinding them with the foot pedals was (thwap-thwap-thwap-thwap-thwap - it was a race of some sort rewinding them - you'll know if you've experienced it as a kid)

As far as playing, it was picking out the theme for the Olympics that was on at the time on that piano. I wish I would have kept going on the piano, but at the time it wasn't a priority. frown

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
I've first touched the piano when I was very small... my grandma has an old, almost non-functional upright. It was fun, but I never really thought about learning to play, perhaps it would be different if I saw anyone play it at the time.
Later, my parents forced me to do various ''hobbies'' (you gotta do something!) but music was a thing they never thought about. (they used the common pattern bad singer -> bad sense of pitch -> bad musician). But I can't really blame them, who knows if I'd like the piano in that age...
And finally, when I started piano after my 16th birthday, I had a Yamaha PSR keyboard for the start, those who played it know how different it is from an acoustic. So after about 2 months of playing, I sat down at the school piano and tried to play something for the crowd. I played the first chord (Beatles' Yesterday), stopped, and announced loudly that the thing is probably broken laugh the touch was just to heavy and sluggish..

The Beginning: chilly morning of 10th April 2010
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Anytime I have looked at a piano. I had to touch. That was mom's number one law breaker. I have always approached a piano and played a single key the most pp I could possibly play it. That is the one sound I sought in judging any piano. That is the beauty of a piano to me. Each single pure note. Absolutely beautiful sound.

As a kid. The neighbors across the street decided to redecorate their living room. All our homes had a family room and a living room. Living room was always a formal creation of the mother. Well...those neighbors decided their living room would have a baby grand. And nothing else. They forced their two children to take lessons. They hated it. Parents had no idea how to play. I walked in their house. Saw that baby. Walked in there. Oh no! That was society's first law I broke! All of us knew that the living room wasn't for children! And touch it? God forbid! It was absolutely beautiful. I lusted for it.

As an old man. Well...older. Music is my sanctuary. Piano is the center of a complete education in music. Piano goes hand in hand with what I tried to avoid. A 'gift' of singing.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rnaple
Anytime I have looked at a piano. I had to touch. ...As an old man. Well...older. Music is my sanctuary. ...
Beautiful story. I know what you mean. A piano is like a Siren calling to you. I've always been too shy to sit down and play a lonely piano, but the pull is very strong.

Best regards,

Deborah
C
C
My Dad always wanted to learn to play and bought a player piano into the home when I was about 9. He could pick out some rudimentary tunes by ear but never had the time for lessons. Sadly, I followed the same path until my retirement as a commercial pilot. I was searching for something to replace the thrill and challenge of flying on a regular basis and then it dawned on me... the piano. I have loved piano music all my life and could listen to piano for hours at a time so it was now time to do what my Dad never got done... learn to play.

At the start of this endeavor I purchased a pretty nice digital piano and to me, the first time touching those keys was like the first time I touched the controls in a trainer, many, many moons ago. It was a moment of awe and thrill. I could sense the power of music in those keys like you can sense the power of gas turbine engines responding to the throttles or the airplane responding smoothly to the most subtle control inputs.

As it turn out, music and the piano have been the ideal substitute for flying. Six months into this project and I know it is the perfect combination of eye hand coordination, manual dexterity, and tons of technical information that must be mastered. It has many similarities to learning to fly an airplane, but, there is much more to learn and I now know why 10 year students are only beginning to master the real nuances of playing.

There are other benefits too..it lowers my blood pressure by a full ten points when I play and it keeps my mind sharp. I know many might find practice tedious and frustrating but aviation taught me that time and perseverance is what wins the day. I do notice slight improvements on a regular basis as my movements become more fluid and I begin to understand the pattern of the piece. I know that the scales and fingering exercises are the key to developing the dexterity that will, little by little, allow me to play things that can actually be identified. Flying proficiently also requires regular use of your skills which is why the FAA requires "currency" to make your license valid.

Music's relationship to mathematics enthralls me and I have developed an avid interest in classical piano. I love to experiment with sounds and modify basic fake book arrangements.

I know I will not be around long enough to ever become really proficient but I don't care. I play (and I use that term lightly) for my own relaxation and enjoyment.

I now, more than ever, have a huge amount of respect and admiration for those who play beautifully. I know how much hard work and dedication was needed to achieve what they have achieved.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Cmajor
... As it turn out, music and the piano have been the ideal substitute for flying. Six months into this project and I know it is the perfect combination of eye hand coordination, manual dexterity, and tons of technical information that must be mastered. It has many similarities to learning to fly an airplane, but, there is much more to learn and I now know why 10 year students are only beginning to master the real nuances of playing.

There are other benefits too..it lowers my blood pressure by a full ten points when I play and it keeps my mind sharp. I know many might find practice tedious and frustrating but aviation taught me that time and perseverance is what wins the day...

This is the most interesting comparison I have ever read in the forum. Awesome.

jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by rnaple
Anytime I have looked at a piano. I had to touch. That was mom's number one law breaker. I have always approached a piano and played a single key the most pp I could possibly play it. That is the one sound I sought in judging any piano. That is the beauty of a piano to me. Each single pure note. Absolutely beautiful sound.

As a kid. The neighbors across the street decided to redecorate their living room. All our homes had a family room and a living room. Living room was always a formal creation of the mother. Well...those neighbors decided their living room would have a baby grand. And nothing else. They forced their two children to take lessons. They hated it. Parents had no idea how to play. I walked in their house. Saw that baby. Walked in there. Oh no! That was society's first law I broke! All of us knew that the living room wasn't for children! And touch it? God forbid! It was absolutely beautiful. I lusted for it.

As an old man. Well...older. Music is my sanctuary. Piano is the center of a complete education in music. Piano goes hand in hand with what I tried to avoid. A 'gift' of singing.

I really like your "Lust" expression. It is very accurate description of a desire for the amazing instrument.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
My mom bought a piano 1 week before I started piano. Back in those days in Japan, it was custom to start various lessons (piano, violin, dancing, fencing, etc) on June 6th of the 6th year (age six). I am not kidding. If anyone doubts it, here's the Japanese for that (習い事を 始めるのは6歳の6月6日). BTW, it does not have anything to do with devil worshipping or anything of that sort.

Anyway, my mom took me to a Yamaha music academy in town. I remember she made me stand right next to a tall black piano and told me, "Isn't it nice? It's a brand new piano. Yow are so lucky. Now you have to promise me that you are goind to practice everyday". I was stunned because I never asked for it. I never knew what she meant by practicing. Before she heard me saying anyting, she quickly told everyone with a broad smile that I was elated, so happy that I could not find any word". I wished I had a quiet moment with the piano. I did not even know what it sounded like. I did not have any chance to try it. A decision for purchase was made very quickly and my lesson started from the following week.

I suspect my mom wanted the piano much more than I. As soon as the piano was delivered she was right at it playing a bunch of children's songs. She got stuck from time to time. She then looked back at me and told me how much she wished she could have played the piano and how fortunate I was. I was going to get formal lessons that she could not get because her parents were poor. There was something in her tone, something sad, wistful and honest. She then showed me a big old piece of paper that had black keys and white keys of piano hand drawn. She said that it was her piano. She had to study piano as a part of the Early Childhood Education program in her junior college. She went there on 100% goverment grant and scholarship. Her parents were so poor that they could not afford piano or college. She said she negotiated with a nearby primary school to let her use thier only piano after hours. At home she practiced with the paper piano. When saw those torn brown papers, tears came up in my eyes. I felt so sorry for my mom. I promised that I would practice everyday. I was a simple six year old.

It's probably totaly beyond the scope of the OT, sorry. My mom was an education monger and I had some rough time with her in my teen and early adulthood but it's all under the bridge now. I came back to piano after long yers of absence and appreciate my mom for giving me a life time joy whenever I touch a key. Needless to say, my mom was very happy to see her investment not wasted when she recently visited me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
My mom bought a piano 1 week before I started piano. Back in those days in Japan, it was custom to start various lessons (piano, violin, dancing, fencing, etc) on June 6th of the 6th year (age six). I am not kidding. If anyone doubts it, here's the Japanese for that (習い事を 始めるのは6歳の6月6日). BTW, it does not have anything to do with devil worshipping or anything of that sort.

Anyway, my mom took me to a Yamaha music academy in town. I remember she made me stand right next to a tall black piano and told me, "Isn't it nice? It's a brand new piano. Yow are so lucky. Now you have to promise me that you are goind to practice everyday". I was stunned because I never asked for it. I never knew what she meant by practicing. Before she heard me saying anyting, she quickly told everyone with a broad smile that I was elated, so happy that I could not find any word". I wished I had a quiet moment with the piano. I did not even know what it sounded like. I did not have any chance to try it. A decision for purchase was made very quickly and my lesson started from the following week.

I suspect my mom wanted the piano much more than I. As soon as the piano was delivered she was right at it playing a bunch of children's songs. She got stuck from time to time. She then looked back at me and told me how much she wished she could have played the piano and how fortunate I was. I was going to get formal lessons that she could not get because her parents were poor. There was something in her tone, something sad, wistful and honest. She then showed me a big old piece of paper that had black keys and white keys of piano hand drawn. She said that it was her piano. She had to study piano as a part of the Early Childhood Education program in her junior college. She went there on 100% goverment grant and scholarship. Her parents were so poor that they could not afford piano or college. She said she negotiated with a nearby primary school to let her use thier only piano after hours. At home she practiced with the paper piano. When saw those torn brown papers, tears came up in my eyes. I felt so sorry for my mom. I promised that I would practice everyday. I was a simple six year old.

It's probably totaly beyond the scope of the OT, sorry. My mom was an education monger and I had some rough time with her in my teen and early adulthood but it's all under the bridge now. I came back to piano after long yers of absence and appreciate my mom for giving me a life time joy whenever I touch a key. Needless to say, my mom was very happy to see her investment not wasted when she recently visited me.

Touching story, FarmGirl.

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
A
A
My first touch of the piano? When my mother and new stepfather moved us into a house where the previous owner thought moving her mid-century upright was too much of a hassle. Mass market, poorly maintained, and barely holding its' tinny tuning, I used to go and plunk on the black keys and think myself quite the maestro. I was probably four years old. That was also the piano I began my lessons on in grade school.

Not surprisingly, when my *mother* decided she wanted to play, suddenly that old piano just wouldn't do and she bought a new Yamaha. Apparently the goose is more demanding than the gander, on piano quality wink

Starting over after a decade-long hiatus from playing!
Yamaha CLP320

Burgmuller - Inquietude
jed1988 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama
My first touch of the piano? When my mother and new stepfather moved us into a house where the previous owner thought moving her mid-century upright was too much of a hassle. Mass market, poorly maintained, and barely holding its' tinny tuning, I used to go and plunk on the black keys and think myself quite the maestro. I was probably four years old. That was also the piano I began my lessons on in grade school.

Not surprisingly, when my *mother* decided she wanted to play, suddenly that old piano just wouldn't do and she bought a new Yamaha. Apparently the goose is more demanding than the gander, on piano quality wink

Wow, you can remember that even when you were so young? That is very impressive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission