2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Incidentally, why do you think it's a bad move?
I think it's a bad move from a consumer viewpoint, by cashing in on a well-respected name being applied to a product which in few ways resembles the product that earned the reputation. This will undoubtedly cause confusion for piano shoppers. I also think it's an open invitation for deception on the part of unscrupulous salespeople, who might point to the two nearly identical marques and proclaim them "practically the same thing" despite the many differences.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Clemens
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
lb gave me recently a lecture here about that "damn arrogant German-imperialistic-hegemonistic world domination" type of thinking and the hang up about their own - and widely spread - assumption of "superiority" in anything they make.

It's for you good folks here now to finally accept this message and start some serious re-thinking accordingly.....

norbert laugh

L
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

I hate to take sides, but I have to chime in here and simply make the comment that, based on all I've observed so far,...

Germans DO build the best pianos to be found anywhere in the world!!! The highest performance, the most meticulous workmanship, and the finest selection of materials. As far as pianos goes, they are simply the best.

I don't know about any other products they make (heck, mechanically a Toyota is statistically more reliable than a Mercedes).

But as for pianos, very few does it better.

-AKindWord heart

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Quoting AKindWord:
I don't know about any other products they make (heck, mechanically a Toyota is statistically more reliable than a Mercedes).
Actually, a case could probably be made that the Japanese-built pianos are, from a mechanical viewpoint, statistically more reliable than German-built pianos (at least in the first two or three decades). I don't remember seeing anyone complain about their new Japanese-made Yamaha or Kawai have sticky keys, but I have heard such complains even for high-end German pianos. BUT, those who pursue a "performance piano" generally won't let a slightly inferior "mechanical reliability factor" put them off. There is MUCH MORE to a piano than mechanical reliability.

That's just my casual observation. Technicians who survice Japanese pianos and German pianos, do you see a STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT discrepency between the MECHANICAL RELIABILITY of the two?

lb:

Fair question!

No,I would NOT take anything on that claims to be specifically "German".....but is not.

Totally, lock-stock&barrell,true, blue, arrogant and all! laugh

To do this,would not only serve to degrade the genuine stuff
I actually have here [am also getting other lines in... wink ] but also happens to go against my very own [arrogant...] 'blood lines'.

[On top of this, I do believe - perhaps erroneously - that my customers are actually special,intelligent and smart enough to hear,touch and feel the difference.]

Just imagine,you're a good'ol Yank living and operating a motorcycle dealership somewhere in Sweden and sell "Hurley Davidson" that only you know are made in China ?? laugh

P.S. None of the genuine German makers I know are getting anything done in China except more dealers for themselves.

Unless you tell us otherwise.

I hope this anwsers for now and I'm glad we're talking again somewhat.....er...

.......decently!

[half-way..... wink ]

norbert
[quit smoking....for now!]

K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Originally posted by Gene Grant:
Nobert,

I believe that all Bechstein products are and will continue to be made in Germany, but I will check with the factory rep and post tomorrow. For what it is worth, I do have one of the new Bechstein pianos on my showroom floor, and it does have the distinctive Bechstein sound.

I hope this helped.

Gene
I was waiting for your post, what did the Bechstein factory rep say?

You are an authorized Bechstein dealer and you thought that an apparently Korean-made piano on your floor was made in Germany?

Is Samick telling its Bechstein dealers to conceal the Korean origin of these pianos?
Or worse, actually telling the dealers these do not come from Korea?
If a customer asked you, "What country is this piano made in?" are you free to say, "Korea" ?

confused

Sorry to put you on the spot here, and I understand as a dealer you are in a delicate situation and have to be careful what you say into this microphone, but if we civilians could read on Samick's own website that Samick is putting the Bechstien name on Korean pianos I sure hope they are telling the truth to the Bechstein dealers.

Please tell my suspicions are unfounded and that only the truth is getting to the customers.

I'm also worried about Bechstein putting their name on a lower quality product. How do they think that a single letter can make a difference - in the eyes of the buyer - between the top quality piano and a lesser one?
This is only going to confuse people and do no good to Bechstein's image.
They should simply use another name on the Asian-made pianos and they could add the "designed by Bechstein" label or whatever.
At least, that's the way I see it...

Calin

Calin

The Bechstein piano discussion group: https://groups.yahoo.com/Bechstein
The historical Schweighofer piano site: http://schweighofer.tripod.com/
K
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
K
Does Samick lurk here?
Do they care?

Maybe we should write some e-mails about this to Bechstein...

What do you people think?

Calin

Calin

The Bechstein piano discussion group: https://groups.yahoo.com/Bechstein
The historical Schweighofer piano site: http://schweighofer.tripod.com/
JPM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I did Calin ... to both companies. Hopefully they will respond soon.

JP

"Piano music should only be written for the Bechstein."
-- Claude Debussy
G
G
Kenny - Sorry for the delay in responding, but we held a offsite event and I have been very busy for the last few days.

I spoke with my rep and he confirmed my initial response: both Bechstein and C. Bechstein are made in Germany, and will continue to be made in Germany. There are no plans to move production.

Hope this helped clear up the confusion. In addition, I will be glad to convey any further questions directly to Bechstein and post the responses here. Misinformation and confusion are not good for anyone, so I will be glad to help.

Gene Grant
L
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Incorrigible you are, Lb.

Manitou - Pianist - Technician

Manitou - Pianist - Technician
L
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

Lb:

We did agree on something.

But could still both be right . laugh

[What beer we're gonna open then? wink ]

norbert

Here's my take of it:

Bechstein 'experimented' with the idea of actually building a fullfledged model grand in Korea.

Samick most likely pushed for that.

So...there 'testing the waters' a bit with perhaps one "Erlkoenig" [prototype] model.

Which was introduced [quietly!] during last NAMM.

To see [and read... wink ] how things are being taken by the rest of the piano world.

And present the 'result' later in an animated discussion between two 'loggerhead' cultures in another one of those table top smashing meetings..... laugh

Stay tuned for the story to unfold.....as time goes by!

norbert smokin

L
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Norbert

[What beer we're gonna open then? wink ]

We'll have to make it Budweiser, there is no political problem with that one, who can say that it wasn't developed and originated right here in the U.S.A.?

lb

T
thomas Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Whether made in Korea or not does it not seem unwise to try to trick the public by omitting the "C" on pianos made to a different standard than the original? Is it not like ommitting the "and Sons" from Steinway's name on certain pianos made to a lower price point?

Budweiser was originally developed in the old old town of 'Budweis', now proudly belonging to the Czech Republic..... laugh

But I'm not hung up on those small details.

Good things are like people.

It doesn't matter where they're from....

.....but where they're * going *. wink

norbert

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission