2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Ataru, I didn't see your post saying you already bought it. If I had, I wouldn't have bothered posting. Now it's too late. I was trying to save you some money based on my own unpleasant experience in this area. It must feel just great waiting for delivery--I know the feeling, having gone through the exact same thing with the expensive upright I bought. But you should note that there is a disturbing tendency for grand pianos, or any acoustic piano for that matter, to end up as hardly-played living room furniture. There are several reasons for this. You're going to need tuning at least twice a yr., at ~$90-$150 per tuning--this alone can take all the fun out of owning a grand. Repairs for things like sticking keys and buzzing strings are common, at ~$100 per service call. The novelty of the new grand will soon wear off, and you'll then realize it's not much different from playing your digital, which is a replication in electric circuits of a grand piano. You bought it thinking it would improve your playing, but this is not possible and the resulting disappointment can completely turn you off to playing the piano. If you don't live in a single family house, the noise from the grand will soon have the neighbors on your case. They will stop you from playing it--you'll see what I mean by this when you start playing. Take a look online at the thousands of used grand pianos for sale. These were bought by people just like you, and now they want to get rid of them because they are unplayed and unusable living room furniture taking up space.

Last edited by Gyro; 07/25/11 03:19 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gyro, I owned a grand (and a vertical) when I was younger, I was living in a condo and I know enough about ownership "pleasures" related to neighbors and repairs/maintenance.
I also have a DP that no matter how improved isn't even close to the sound and feel of a grand, but is a great tool when you need silent playing or have to do the "boring stuff".

btw, this is my baby.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ataru074
btw, this is my baby.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful. 3hearts

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
and this is how it sound...

http://snd.sc/mQXmPv

sorry, more than 10 years without playing pwned me big time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
wish i appreciated it that much sometimes. i take it for granted. good work thumb

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
gyro... This might be only my 15th post but you smell either like a troll or a fool.

You're a quick study Ataru74!. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your piano purchase.

LOL. Really... I LOL'd at this one. What's funny is that there are now some gyro "under-studies" around here. (I won't mention names, but will keep it to myself. smile ).

PS-if you're curious, send me a PM. whistle

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
and this is how it sound...

http://snd.sc/mQXmPv

sorry, more than 10 years without playing pwned me big time.

I love this Invention, and you played it great. Wow, how long you been off? lol. You play like you never left! smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Matteo...

Congratulations on your Kawai. I love the sound of a great piano.
I grew up in Houston. Never thought much of the humidity. Until I lived in the desert. smile
I'm wondering how much water you're pulling out of your home for the piano? To be humorous. Enough to water the lawn everyday?
Seriously...would be interested in what you go through for environmental controls for the piano. I cringe when thinking of what it went through in moving.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
@rnaple:
no serious environmental control.. I grew up 25 yard from the sea and no AC.. my piano never suffered too much from that besides some extra oxidation... I'm not paranoid but I avoid direct AC blowing over and direct or reflected sunlight.

@cebukid:
thanks, but I can hear my indecision in the left hand... p.s. please p.m. me on that :-)

Gyro, I owned a grand (and a vertical) when I was younger, I was living in a condo and I know enough about ownership "pleasures" related to neighbors and repairs/maintenance.
I also have a DP that no matter how improved isn't even close to the sound and feel of a grand, but is a great tool when you need silent playing or have to do the "boring stuff".

btw, this is my baby.

[Linked Image]

Oh god... you America guys and your huge houses laugh I had a tough time fitting an upright to my place laugh (it's gonna arrive in 10 days, yay!)
It's really beautiful, unfortunately the audio link doesn't work

The Beginning: chilly morning of 10th April 2010
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ataru, welcome and congratulations! Your "baby" is beautiful. The SoundCloud page is down right now, I'll try again later, though. I'm glad you were able to take Gyro's comments in stride. wink

Hrochan, if the apartment I stayed in in Prague a few years ago is typical of Czech living spaces...I understand your dilemma. Not only was the place "cozy," it was an eight flight of stairs climb to the door! Congratulations on your new piano as well; looking forward to photos when you have your piano settled!

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hrochan

Oh god... you America guys and your huge houses laugh I had a tough time fitting an upright to my place laugh (it's gonna arrive in 10 days, yay!)
It's really beautiful, unfortunately the audio link doesn't work

Hrochan, I'm Italian, I moved to the US few years back... I exactly know what you mean about space... here an 80 square meter apartment is a single bedroom... in Italy you either split it in two apartment for 3 people each or a "big one" for 4/5 people.
The US guys are quite lucky on that side... and in Houston everything is bigger... heck, the average dog house is probably 50sqmeter (and the average dog is a T-rex... :p )

here an 80 square meter apartment is a single bedroom... in Italy you either split it in two apartment for 3 people each or a "big one" for 4/5 people.

Exactly, we're 3 in the family and moving to 70 square metres this week (also, the living space in Czech is reduced by stupidly big hallways... do you really need 13m2 to get your shoes off?)
If I wanted a grand, we'd have to use it as a desk, bed, and a dinner table smile

Originally Posted by JeanieA
Congratulations on your new piano as well; looking forward to photos when you have your piano settled!

Thanks, I will post them for sure smile

The Beginning: chilly morning of 10th April 2010
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hrochan, your dinner table remark made me smile and then wonder...looks like someone's already had that idea. $6000 will get you an electric piano dining table!

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission