2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
29 members (CyberGene, florhof, Greta99, Animisha, dima5222, AprilE, 10 invisible), 422 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hi, I'm new
#1735363 08/17/11 07:28 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Good evening,

this afternoon I was curious and typed "piano forum" on google and this page came up. And then I registered.

I've started piano late, but reading some threads in this subforums seems not so late. I started last year at the age of 19 as self taught and then I started taking lessons

lessons are 30min a week (music is expensive :() and I haven't had the time to fully "learn" this instrument. Recently, however I started feeling the need to take it to the next level and I thought joining a community like this with professionals would be inspirational. I watch videos on youtube and realize how behind I am, but I like the feeling. If it was easy to become a pianist, then, I wouldn't be too thrilled to become one.

I think people in this subforum are special in the sense that they are doing this because they really like this and not because they were enforced in their childhood.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of subforums and threads so I thought about posting and introductory thread and then go from there. I posted this in this subforum because I think this is where I belong.

crescendo

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Hi, I'm new
crescendo #1735367 08/17/11 07:30 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by crescendo
and I haven't had the time to fully "learn" this instrument.

forgot to add that this is due to a super busy life schedule including University. I wish I could be in a more relaxed part of my life where I could focus on the music, but, I'm sure I'll be able to find some time if I really care.

crescendo #1735373 08/17/11 07:40 PM
Welcome crescendo,

I've not been here too long, but I've found here very satisfying. Its the perfect place for advice to just plain for-fun piano chat.

Oh, and by the way, no time is to late to start piano. smile

Enjoy,

TonalHarmony

crescendo #1735381 08/17/11 07:53 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forum, Crescendo! Yes, there are a lot of subforums, but you'll soon get a feel for the place. AB forum is a great place for emotional support, asking basic questions, and posting your recordings in a safe context. We also tend to be a little sillier than the other forums, but we also have fewer flame wars, which is good. The pianist corner is frequented mainly by serious amateurs, professionals or students with professional aspirations, and the discussion is almost exclusively focused on the classical repertoire. The nonclassical forum is less active but has a couple of terrific long-running threads. The teacher's forum is where discussion of teaching and teacher-student interactions occurs. The main forum is for discussion of piano brands and pianos as instruments, not about music or playing.

In reality, there's a lot of overlap. I've posted in just about every forum there is, though I consider my "home" to be AB forum. heart

crescendo #1735641 08/18/11 06:46 AM
N
N

thumb
Hear, Hear. Monica.
It seems to me that AB forum is a little more relaxed and friendly.
Welcome. smile
Nice people here......

I may not play very well, but my heart is there!!!!!!
crescendo #1735644 08/18/11 07:04 AM
C
OP Offline
C
thank you,

seems like there's a lot of video sharing and that looks like a lot of fun.

there are some things I wanted to ask you guys though

1) I'm currently taking lessons in a "free program", that is, I only learn stuff without actually having any level/degree or exams.

obviously, i'm currently nowhere near to even think of realistically being able to become a professional pianist as I'm playing as a hobby but

is joining a degree system where you can measure your success good for piano learning? I mean, I think it would be challenging to improve to pass to the next level etc. and would surely study more seriously.

as I said it's a hobby, but I want to take it seriously so that I can achieve a level of mastery I'm comfortable at...

i think one problem is that, I wouldn't be playing piano all the time. I think you have to play other instruments and/or do some theoretical stuff in order to be in such a program and increased time would be a problem with my current life.

2) I only own an electric piano or whatever it's called that at least has all the keys and that is the piano I practice with. Obviously, I prefer to play in a real piano because it is much more enjoyable.

buying one at the moment is out of the question.

When the music academy i'm attending is open I can go there and play in real pianos, but not always is open or their pianos available.

what are likely locations where I could go to play a real piano for free?

Last edited by crescendo; 08/18/11 07:04 AM.
crescendo #1735647 08/18/11 07:09 AM
C
OP Offline
C
but I want to take it seriously so that I can achieve a level of mastery I'm comfortable at...

looking back to what I wrote, I don't know if that's possible in piano grin I think the feeling of wanting to get better will never disappear

crescendo #1735681 08/18/11 08:35 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome crescendo!
In addition to the excellent summary that Monica did, we also have "ABF recitals" that are the best way for us to see the progess of all participants.
http://www.samfsmith.com/ABFRecitalIndex/index.php?title=Main_Page

Last edited by CarlosCC; 08/18/11 08:35 AM.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
crescendo #1735688 08/18/11 08:52 AM
A
A
Welcome to the forum Crescendo!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
crescendo #1735690 08/18/11 08:53 AM
KLL Offline
Good evening,

I've started piano late, but reading some threads in this subforums seems not so late. I started last year at the age of 19 as self taught and then I started taking lessons

crescendo

You are not late at all, I started at 15 but I stopped after 2 years later. and now Im 39... yeah, i back to piano and feel like a newbie. One advice, do not stop playing.

Yamaha YDP-160
Alfred Premier Piano Course 4
•Minuet in C Major, KV 6 (W.A. Mozart)
crescendo #1735845 08/18/11 01:10 PM
S
S
Welcome, crescendo. I, too, started late but I am 56! I first heard of Piano World through Perri Knize's book, 'Grand Obsession", but when I first came here I was overwhelmed by the enormity of it. I had been participating in on-line forums for years but none of them were this large. To be honest, it kept me away.
Recently, I have decided to eliminate much of that on-line social life (including Facebook). As a result, I find myself not only practicing more but simply reading more in general. But, as a result of more piano time, I felt the need to connect more with people having the same interests. Hence, I find myself typing this...
I, too, cannot afford either a real (analog) piano or a real (analog) teacher. I am self-learning, which is fraught with danger, I suppose. But since I just started learning and have no real agenda at this point, I feel learning/practicing scales and fingering can do little real harm. Since so many great pianists played with such varying form, I play and learn in a form that is comfortable for me and stick to the fingering from Alfred's scale book.
Since I cannot afford a piano (and a Grand seems to be the only thing I want) I did a lot of research to find a digital that would closely approximate the feel and response of a real piano. I stayed away from "keyboards" with all of their sound possibilities - none of which I was interested in - and looked only at "digital pianos". Having a small budget I settled on the Casio CDP100. I was working part-time at a Guitar Center and I picked the brains of the keyboard guys there. I have been happy with it and it works for now.
I hope one day to be able to afford both a teacher and a piano.

Last edited by Sedona Drum; 08/18/11 01:38 PM.
Sedona Drum #1735916 08/18/11 02:47 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Sedona Drum
Welcome, crescendo. I, too, started late but I am 56! I first heard of Piano World through Perri Knize's book, 'Grand Obsession", but when I first came here I was overwhelmed by the enormity of it. I had been participating in on-line forums for years but none of them were this large. To be honest, it kept me away.
Recently, I have decided to eliminate much of that on-line social life (including Facebook). As a result, I find myself not only practicing more but simply reading more in general. But, as a result of more piano time, I felt the need to connect more with people having the same interests. Hence, I find myself typing this...
I, too, cannot afford either a real (analog) piano or a real (analog) teacher. I am self-learning, which is fraught with danger, I suppose. But since I just started learning and have no real agenda at this point, I feel learning/practicing scales and fingering can do little real harm. Since so many great pianists played with such varying form, I play and learn in a form that is comfortable for me and stick to the fingering from Alfred's scale book.
Since I cannot afford a piano (and a Grand seems to be the only thing I want) I did a lot of research to find a digital that would closely approximate the feel and response of a real piano. I stayed away from "keyboards" with all of their sound possibilities - none of which I was interested in - and looked only at "digital pianos". Having a small budget I settled on the Casio CDP100. I was working part-time at a Guitar Center and I picked the brains of the keyboard guys there. I have been happy with it and it works for now.
I hope one day to be able to afford both a teacher and a piano.

wow, I can relate so much about settling with a digital piano that mimics a real one and is also low budget, since the CASIO CDP-100 is also the piano I have.

I love being able to play at night with headphones so I don't regret as much not having a real one.

KLL #1735917 08/18/11 02:50 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by KLL
Good evening,

crescendo

You are not late at all, I started at 15 but I stopped after 2 years later. and now Im 39... yeah, i back to piano and feel like a newbie. One advice, do not stop playing.

looks like starting at 19 is not late after all. But, I'm sure you understand the feeling when a 7 year old is playing better than you grin or that as a grown-up pianist you are expected a certain level you don't have.

but that doesn't bother me anymore although it used to when I first started

crescendo #1735940 08/18/11 03:28 PM
C
OP Offline
C
1) I'm currently taking lessons in a "free program", that is, I only learn stuff without actually having any level/degree or exams.

obviously, i'm currently nowhere near to even think of realistically being able to become a professional pianist as I'm playing as a hobby but

is joining a degree system where you can measure your success good for piano learning? I mean, I think it would be challenging to improve to pass to the next level etc. and would surely study more seriously.

as I said it's a hobby, but I want to take it seriously so that I can achieve a level of mastery I'm comfortable at...

i think one problem is that, I wouldn't be playing piano all the time. I think you have to play other instruments and/or do some theoretical stuff in order to be in such a program and increased time would be a problem with my current life.

2) I only own an electric piano or whatever it's called that at least has all the keys and that is the piano I practice with. Obviously, I prefer to play in a real piano because it is much more enjoyable.

buying one at the moment is out of the question.

When the music academy i'm attending is open I can go there and play in real pianos, but not always is open or their pianos available.

anyone?

crescendo #1735963 08/18/11 03:57 PM
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Welcome to the forum - as everyone said, no it's not late at all. Yes, you gotta start somewhere. I am MUCH MUCH more older than you and participate in kid's recital as the only adult. Many kids easily beats me. But I am happy I can enjoy playing the piano.

crescendo #1735970 08/18/11 04:02 PM

On a one-time basis, yeah. Hotel lobbies are likely candidates; many churches will graciously open their doors. Piano stores are more than glad to let you play if you are a potential customer.

But I'm guessing your welcome would eventually run out at these places.

Colleges have practice rooms where registered students can play. If you were to sign up for a music theory class or otherwise taking a course, that could be an option. But it won't be free.

Alternatively, you could approach your friendly neighborhood church and ask for some kind of barter system; they let you play their pianos on off hours, you weed the flower beds or clean out the bathrooms or something like that.

Or, find a neighbor who has a piano and would be receptive to letting you use in it exchange for chores.

Last edited by Monica K.; 08/18/11 04:10 PM. Reason: out, damned typo!
crescendo #1735972 08/18/11 04:04 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

anyone?

churches, schools, residential care homes, although I've not had any luck finding any, I just wanted to try playing on a different piano out of curiosity, I have a 1920 straight strung upright left to me by my nan!

crescendo #1735983 08/18/11 04:23 PM
2) I only own an electric piano or whatever it's called that at least has all the keys and that is the piano I practice with. Obviously, I prefer to play in a real piano because it is much more enjoyable

I'm attending a high school, and there's a so-called music room where an upright is, + there's one at the school's snack bar. I guess it also wouldn't be a problem to ask for late-hours piano access, if one would offer some work in return. Actually, our janitor, while rarely seen working, plays there all the time.
But on the other hand: from my experience, when a piano is available for everyone, it is really NOT one you'd wanna play (the ones in our school are so badly treated by any people passing-by, that I would actually prefer my Casio PX-130 to them)

The Beginning: chilly morning of 10th April 2010
crescendo #1735989 08/18/11 04:35 PM
Welcome,

I am also quite new here, but have had lot of joy and inspirational moments already.

GL
Jaak

Last edited by Jaak; 08/18/11 04:35 PM.

piano.social - Learn classical piano with Jaak and socialize with other piano students
MA, teacher and doctoral student of the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre
crescendo #1736422 08/19/11 09:34 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Crescendo, I don't know where you live, but in my area (Vancouver, Canada) most community centres have a piano. They usually offer piano lessons for kids after school, but if you're available earlier in the day that might be an option. Also, if you're OK with playing in public, many coffee shops have pianos that anyone is welcome to play.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Well! How's the playlist comin' long, then? :)
by peterws - 05/31/20 01:39 AM
Difference between n1 and n1x
by lopmax - 05/31/20 01:17 AM
A Philadelphia piano store was looted tonight
by Rich Galassini - 05/30/20 11:19 PM
Piano By Jonny
by 20/20 Vision - 05/30/20 06:59 PM
Kawai ES-110 Piano Samples
by Skyscrapersax - 05/30/20 06:12 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,297
Posts2,964,131
Members97,243
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission