2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by stores

"Could you show me please exactly what your pedal indication is all about with the first movement of Op. 27 No. 2?"

Beethoven: 'If I had known what a modern Steinway was capable of, perhaps I wouldn't have had such a heavy foot. But I stand by the rondo in the Op 53!'

Jason
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan

"Could you show me please exactly what your pedal indication is all about with the first movement of Op. 27 No. 2?"

Beethoven: 'If I had known what a modern Steinway was capable of, perhaps I wouldn't have had such a heavy foot. But I stand by the rondo in the Op 53!'

I stand by that, too. It makes such a wonderful harmony when the I and V chords are blurred.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
To Liszt - "WHY SO MANY OCTAVES!?!?!?!"

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

S
S
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
To Liszt - "WHY SO MANY OCTAVES!?!?!?!"

They're so fun!

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Not after 29 minutes of a super demanding sonata and you just want to finish the damned thing!

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To LVB:
In the exposition of your c minor sonata, should we repeat from the beginning, or start at the allegro?

Last edited by Ferdinand; 08/17/11 12:14 AM. Reason: typo
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
To LBV:
In the exposition of your c minor [Op 13] sonata, should we repeat from the beginning, or start at the allegro?

It should be from the allegro. Lot of tripe in a few past threads about this very issue.

Musically, IMO, I've never been convinced that repeating from the Grave makes any sense. It totally saps the forward momentum of the exposition, and repeats a very dramatic and a 'once-in-a-lifetime' introduction which has none of its astounding impact a second time around.

I feel the exact same way about the Chopin Bb minor.

Go at me, boys! laugh

Jason
S
S
To LBV:
In the exposition of your c minor [Op 13] sonata, should we repeat from the beginning, or start at the allegro?

It should be from the allegro. Lot of tripe in a few past threads about this very issue.

Musically, IMO, I've never been convinced that repeating from the Grave makes any sense. It totally saps the forward momentum of the exposition, and repeats a very dramatic and a 'once-in-a-lifetime' introduction which has none of its astounding impact a second time around.

Go at me, boys! laugh

I agree, as do both of my Urtext editions of the Pathetique.

Last edited by Steve712; 08/16/11 11:49 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
....I feel the exact same way about the Chopin Bb minor...

I automatically thought of that example too. They're an automatic pair. smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
"Want to come with me and visit beet and tell him you really did write that response to a critic reviewing Wellington that beet hates so much?" (By the way, beet, I can show you the quote in Beethoven's own handwriting, if I can ever get myself to a scanner)

hehe... you remember! How touching.

btw, if you have evidence that Beethoven really said it, why didn't you just say so? I can certainly change my mind in the face of evidence. Although I still won't like it... smile

And, yes, if you ever commune with the great LVB, please do come visit me. Maybe the three of us can sit down and discuss whether there really are elements of sonata form in op.27/2's first movement!

-J

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
To LBV:

Go at me, boys! laugh

I agree.

I went to a performance recently, and the pianist repeated the first movement of the Op. 13 from the very beginning.

It didn't work. The only people who liked it liked it just because of the academic purpose, but deep down, I'm sure even they know it doesn't musically work.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
"Want to come with me and visit beet and tell him you really did write that response to a critic reviewing Wellington that beet hates so much?" (By the way, beet, I can show you the quote in Beethoven's own handwriting, if I can ever get myself to a scanner)

hehe... you remember! How touching.

btw, if you have evidence that Beethoven really said it, why didn't you just say so? I can certainly change my mind in the face of evidence. Although I still won't like it... smile

And, yes, if you ever commune with the great LVB, please do come visit me. Maybe the three of us can sit down and discuss whether there really are elements of sonata form in op.27/2's first movement!

-J

I thought that I'd told you that I had evidence before? It's actually a fairly known little tidbit that line he wrote, though I suppose it's not one of those that make it's way into the mainstream biography section for obvious reasons. If I can remember to do so and have access to a scanner one of these days I'll send it to you.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
One thing I'd be interested in is composer's opinions on other composer's music, especially music that was made after their own death... for example Mozart listening to Tchaikovsky. smile

Last edited by babama; 08/17/11 05:17 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by babama
One thing I'd be interested in is composer's opinions on other composer's music, especially music that was made after their own death... for example Mozart listening to Tchaikovsky. smile

Oh! That's a good one. I'd be really interested in what Beethoven would think of minimalist and atonal music.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve712

Oh! That's a good one. I'd be really interested in what Beethoven would think of minimalist and atonal music.

Given certain moments of the Grosse Fugue, and given the trio from op.135's scherzo, Beethoven's thoughts on atonality and minimalism might not be what you might expect.

-J

S
S

Given certain moments of the Grosse Fugue, and given the trio from op.135's scherzo, Beethoven's thoughts on atonality and minimalism might not be what you might expect.

-J

Actually, I was thinking of exactly those pieces when I said that!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

-J

smile !!!!!

S
S

-J

smile !!!!!

I think it would interesting to show him some of that music, then ask him if he would compose something in the genre.

So, Beethoven, Whaddaya think of Trans Siberian Orchestra's rendition of your fifth?

The link to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8TD7KXsEeQ&feature=related

Y
yhc Offline
Y
How's heck? pard'me, heaven?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission