2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
56 members (chopinetto, Dago987, CajunJ, achoo42, Boboulus, 15 invisible), 458 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room
#1733117 08/14/11 09:54 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Recital #23!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital 23 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #23 --- Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

p.s. Please note that an error was made in creating the main recital thread, and entry #20 was inadvertently left out. (Sorry, Cebukid!) I have to wait for a moderator to put it back in, as the thread is locked so I can't edit it. In the meantime, I have copied the information in a post below.

Last edited by AB Forum Recital; 08/15/11 07:44 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital #23 -- General Discussion Room
AB Forum Recital #1733233 08/15/11 12:02 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I just got back home from a quick weekend getaway. Drove 350 miles, so I'm a bit tired. What a nice surprise to find the recital up and ready to go.

01 Andy Platt - Waltz in B Minor, Opus 69 No 2, Chopin
That sounds wonderful, Andy. I only hear the "nerves" very briefly in one or two places. You have a wonderful touch for this beautiful waltz.

02 Jazzwee - Naima, John Coltrane
I like your "smooth jazz" interpretation of Naima. It's a beautiful and relaxing sound.

03 Mohan Karthik - Quest for Greatness, Mohan Karthik
This is a beautiful piece, Mohan. You've written a very professional sounding piece, and you've played it perfectly as well. I could easily imagine this on a new age album by one of the big names.

04 dannylux - Mel - Etude in D flat Op.15 No.8, Sergei Bortkiewicz
Wow - there is a lot going on in this piece. What a challenge it must be to play, and yet I do not hear a single flaw in your effort. Impressive!

05 Alleykatt- Cathy - Dietro l'incanto, Ludovico Einaudi
Beautiful job, Cathy. Your interpretation sounds near perfect to me.

A very impressive start for this recital, I must say. I am having trouble staying awake, so I will be off to bed now. Thanks for some relaxing music before bedtime.

Last edited by TX-Dennis; 08/15/11 12:03 AM.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

AB Forum Recital #1733237 08/15/11 12:14 AM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Just got home from work and I work again in 6 hours. So I’ll be letting the streaming player play me asleep.

I listened to the first 10 or so on streaming player then watched the ones with videos. I’ll try to comment on everyone’s at a later date.

Don’t expect criticism from me as I am not experienced enough to offer much advice.

Regardless I am always in awe at the quality, skill, and bravery of everyone here.

After a long day at work I was in a bad mood and you put me in a good one.

Thanks to everyone who participates publicly in our shared love of this instrument, and a harpsichord as well!

01. Andy Platt - Chopin Waltz in B Minor, Opus 69 No 2
Beautiful. For having shaky hands you really played well. I’m not too knowledgeable about Chopin yet. It sounds very nice to my ears.

02. Jazzwee - Naima
Wow I have a good pair of headphones on and that iRealb sounds a lot better on here than my tinny iPad speakers! I’ll have to try this. You sound really nice. I’d swear I was in a club listening to you.

03. Mohan Karthik - Quest for Greatness
Very beautiful written piece!

04. dannylux / Mel - Etude in D flat Op.15 No.8
Masterful performance. I have never heard of Sergei Bortkiewicz. Lovely.

05. Alleykatt - Cathy - Dietro l'incanto (
Thanks for opening my eyes to this composer. Also beautifully played!

06. Ken. - Blue Monk
I’ll have to look into that book. Love the baseline and harmonies!

07. wouter79 - Maple Leaf Rag.
A good pace. I’m still in the process of learning this song and really have a hard time keeping that left beat solid. You are articulating well and have a good rhythm. Actually amazing for 1.5 years of experience! I can tell you’ve really worked hard on this. Well done!

08. Mr Super Hunky - Dream With Me
A very dreamy piece indeed. I like your attitude, and your playing!

09. Laura Joffe aka Ten left Thumbs - Two-part Invention no 4 in D min
Ah, now I understand why this was special to you! Brilliant!

11. Monica K. - Le Matin
Beautiful as always! I love this song and your interpretation of it!

13. Peyton - Message From Space
One of my favorites of the whole recital. It’s now on my music list on my cell phone. I fricking love this song! Live long and perspire.

18. (Was)TrueBeginner - Little Waltz
Wow you wrote this? Very nice. Your droid x mic is a lot better than my original droid mic!

19. Sam S - Song Without Words Opus 38/6
Nerves of steel! Lovely. Is that a B you are playing? The tone is to die for! Whatever it is, I like it.

22. cgyan (Iain) - Along The Codorus
Your videos are alway so well performed and sound so lovely. Just a beautiful rendition.

23. Serge88 - Someone saved my life tonight
Very smooth. Like the backing track too. Good job!

28. Wayne32yrs - Radiohead - Creep
Very heartfelt and I felt connected. Good job.

29. IRPRONI (Ismael Rodríguez) - Rue Des Cascades
I always love Yann Tiersen and enjoyed your version. Well done!

30. BenPiano - I Giorni
Since I’m not familiar, the hesitation you mention is just a dramatic pause wink Neverthless, you have a lovely touch and do this piece justice.

33. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - When I'm Sixty-four
I love your spirit and the joy with which you play and sing. Didn't 64 seem ancient as a teenager?

40. anthonyb - I Giorni
Beautifully played and produced. Count me as a fan!

42. Lain - Autumn Moon Over the Calm Lake
Whatever you say you need to work on. I think it's wonderful.

43. Alpha Terminus (Jim Henderson) - Rondo Alla Turca
OMG this should be at 20 bpm... or less! Oh wait.... wink

46. Starr Keys - The Last Time I Saw Paris
I’m going through watching the videos first. I loved “You’re beautiful”

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
AB Forum Recital #1733260 08/15/11 01:32 AM
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Folks, I was a loser again. could not get my xxxx together to record. So, I will try to give you my feedback over a couple of days. English is not my first language (and I am also very lazy). So please forgive me for misspellings.

01. Andy Platt - Chopin Waltz in B Minor, Opus 69 No 2 (to do)
Nerves? I did not hear anything like that. I thought you sounded really good. As usual, you succeeded letting the melody sing. I enjoyed it. It was very musical and I could hear that you really love Chopin. This is one of my favorite piece of Chopin. I cannot remember if it was this piece or one of the nocturns that made me come back to piano. Thank you for playing this one.
02. Jazzwee - Naima (to do)
Very nice. Sounds almost professional. i cannot believe this is the first take. I like the way your piano talks to the back ground beat. This reminds me of my time in a Jazz coffee shop back in Japan in Kyoto. Believe it or not, there were so many Jazz enthusiasts in Japan who spend hours in that smoke-filled cofee shop.
03. Mohan Karthik - Quest for Greatness (to do)
Beautiful composition and also played very well. I like the way you build it up the piece. You are very creative.
04. dannylux / Mel - Etude in D flat Op.15 No.8 (to do)
Wow, it's very romantic. It sounds like a very complex piece of music. You have done a great job. I really like the composer as well. Thank you.

05. Alleykatt - Cathy - Dietro l'incanto (to do)
I love this. You have done a great job. I like how you put the feelings to your fingers and let the piece expand.

06. Ken. - Blue Monk (to do)
It's perfect right now since I am drinking wine and rockin' with my doggies.

07. wouter79 - Maple Leaf Rag (to do)
You must have a very good sense of rhythm. I think it gets very challenging if I try to play this, it's very fast too. You started out great but sounded a bit tired in the middle. Just a little. I think it's because many things are going on in this piece and it probably takes lots of energy to play this. When I played a busy piece like this, I remember having to put breath mark to avoid getting out of breath. That might help. Please ignore my silly advise if I am not on point:) Overall, I think you have done an excellent job again.

08. Mr Super Hunky - Dream With Me (to do)
Gosh, good music. You've done it again. It sounded like a duet between harp and piano. I had to close my eyes and try not think about your forum name. No offense to your Mr. SH. I am just day dreaming of my first love. The reality really kills a dream.. That's all. Super Nice composition and good playing as well.

09. Laura Joffe aka Ten left Thumbs - Two-part Invention no 4 in D min (to do)
Wow it's a hapsicord! It's a treat. Obviously it sounds very different from the ones on the piano. I heard it is very difficult to play since the sound dies out quicker. You have done an incredible job considering that. I wish you have recorded the same thing on a piano as well. I am just curious. How different it may sound. How did you feel on the instrument? Thank you for the treat.

10. timmyab - Prelude & Fugue in f minor bwv 881 (to do)
Excellent playing. It would probably sound much better on an acousitic. I am saying this because your playing is excellent. Digital won't do a justice to you. I understand it's probably because you needed to record it.

11. Monica K. - Le Matin (to do)
I like the piece. It's probably hard not to sing along with this. I like the sparkling color type broken chord section. lovely.

12. Cohenfan - Traumerei (to do)
It's a very pretty piece.I know you keep playing this for a long time. Why not? It's a lovely piece and would be great as a part of your forever repatore.

13. Peyton - Message From Space (to do)
Payton, this is excellent. I heard it first time in the piano bar. Did not have time to comment on it at that time. Now I do. I think you are amazing. I like the way you build up the piece like that. Someone may commission this piece. It would be great if I can create something this beautiful and original someday. You are my inspiration.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Jump Monk (to do)
It sounds very nice and crisp. No hesitation. I like the way you put it together. Expertly played.

15. Inlanding - Glen - Prelude, Everything Happens to Me, Sun Up (to do)
I always look forward to your submission. Because yours is very interesting. I like the trio concept. Excellent playing of the Prelude. I like the way you communicate through "Everything Happens to Me" and "Sun Up". This is the kind of the things confirms my belief that music is much more eloquent than any human language. It won't hurt me either. It just permiates from note to skin.. into my whole beings. Thanks.

16. cscl - Schubert Waltzes Op. 9, Nos. 1-3 (D365) (to do)
Beautiful waltz. I love Schubert. You have done a great job.

17. Todd Vance - Clair De Lune (to do)
It's a beautiful piece, isn't it? You have done good job to let the melody line sing. It might be my personal taste but if you can keep your left hand a tad bit quiet at the beginning, it will be better. I cannot believe it only took a few years for you to get to play this. Nicely played. You should be proud of yourself.

18. (Was)TrueBeginner - Little Waltz (to do)
It's your original? It is great. I think music spews out of you natually. As you mentioned, you can improve this greatly by paying attention to your left hand. I would tone down the left hand a bit to bring out the beautiful and sensitive melody to do justice for the composition.

19. Sam S - Song Without Words Opus 38/6 (to do)
Sam it sounds soooo good. Your recital piece was great but I can hear marked improvement. your playing become so much more sensitive and I could here the melody, inner voices and all those delicate detail that makes Medelssohn as great as he is. Bravo!

20. Cebu Kid - Maple Leaf Rag (to do)
When I checked it, I did not see the submisison yet. I will come back later.

21. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Verde Smeraldo (to do)
Good job. You are definately making incredible progress. I can hear your phrasing. Aren't you proud of it?

Ok folks, that's it for tonite.

AB Forum Recital #1733264 08/15/11 01:43 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
If anyone wants my feedback please give me a PM. I ask because some people are offended by my style of feedback.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #1733301 08/15/11 04:35 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Impressive start, Andy Platt 01 (B minor waltz, Chopin). I didn't notice nerves, but I was particularly impressed with the section toward the end where the RH takes two voices. You handled your nerves enough to allow you enough rubato to get over the tricky bits. I think it means a lot that you recorded while playing live, because we all know that's a lot of pressure! smile

AB Forum Recital #1733305 08/15/11 05:27 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
From an old ABF poster... AKA .... Monster M&H

Well done everyone, although I don't post here much lately, I do pop in to see who's up to what. I'm glad to see the recitals are still going and only wish I could find (make) the time to participate. It's really nice to see how people of progressed and refined their playing skills. I have them all downloaded to my mp3 and will be enjoying all of your efforts over the next few days.

WELL DONE, you should all be proud.

MK...you are a saint for your continued efforts .... thumb

Last edited by Les Koltvedt; 08/15/11 05:28 AM.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta Area.
www.well-lovedpiano.com/atlanta-piano-technicians/
PTG Associate
AB Forum Recital #1733334 08/15/11 07:36 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
My sincerest apologies to Cebukid, whose recital entry I messed up. His recording is there in the zip files and streaming player, but I must have skipped over his record when I was copying and pasting the individual posts. I'm going to have BB Player fix the main recital thread, but until then, please find his information here:

Performer's name:Cebu Kid
Experience:1979-1982, Piano Lessons
2008 - Present, Self-Directed
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQz_tDrJg2c
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebukid70
Title of piece:Maple Leaf Rag
Composer:Scott Joplin
Duration:03:07
Source of music:Joplin Complete Rags For Piano - Schrimer's Library of Musical Classics
Instrument used:Yamaha T118 Upright
Recording method:Audio: Zoom H1 normalized with Audacity
Video: JVC Everio
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:This is my 4th rag, and I had lots and lots of trouble with this one. I *thought* it would be easy because I never really had too much trouble with the others - even in "year 1" as an adult restarter of piano, but I was in for a reality check (talk about a WAY over-my-head piece!). This is the best I could do for now, and I obviously need to work on this some more. This piece was a great learning experience as it exposed my horrible technique (tension, poor wrist position, etc...such are the trials and tribulations of the self-taught, but I digress..lol). Anyway, it forced me to address some of these issues, and actually made me better at my other rags (and current ones in process). This is my "fastest" rag to date, though the end result was what I call a moderate tempo for this piece (around 84-88 BPM range). This time around, I brought out some much needed dynamics which was lacking on the last recording attempt for the Spring recital. Anyway, there's a few flubs (the third strain is a killer and has too many big leaps), but hey, this is a recital. I did this in 2 takes, and I'm not really one that HAS to have "the perfect take" (plus I don't have that kind of time)... Well, I hope you all enjoy. I will definitely do this over one day when there's less pressure - and probably soon since it's fresh. My goal in life is to play this piece at least 5-7 times a week, as I think this piece is one big technical exercise as well and really calls out every skill one needs for ragtime piano....and oh, I had my home-made gourmet mac-and-cheese sprinkled with bacon. :-) Cheers everyone!

AB Forum Recital #1733359 08/15/11 08:23 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AB Forum Recital
My sincerest apologies to Cebukid, whose recital entry I messed up. His recording is there in the zip files and streaming player, but I must have skipped over his record when I was copying and pasting the individual posts. I'm going to have BB Player fix the main recital thread, but until then, please find his information here:

Performer's name:Cebu Kid
Experience:1979-1982, Piano Lessons
2008 - Present, Self-Directed
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQz_tDrJg2c
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebukid70
Title of piece:Maple Leaf Rag
Composer:Scott Joplin
Duration:03:07
Source of music:Joplin Complete Rags For Piano - Schrimer's Library of Musical Classics
Instrument used:Yamaha T118 Upright
Recording method:Audio: Zoom H1 normalized with Audacity
Video: JVC Everio
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:This is my 4th rag, and I had lots and lots of trouble with this one. I *thought* it would be easy because I never really had too much trouble with the others - even in "year 1" as an adult restarter of piano, but I was in for a reality check (talk about a WAY over-my-head piece!). This is the best I could do for now, and I obviously need to work on this some more. This piece was a great learning experience as it exposed my horrible technique (tension, poor wrist position, etc...such are the trials and tribulations of the self-taught, but I digress..lol). Anyway, it forced me to address some of these issues, and actually made me better at my other rags (and current ones in process). This is my "fastest" rag to date, though the end result was what I call a moderate tempo for this piece (around 84-88 BPM range). This time around, I brought out some much needed dynamics which was lacking on the last recording attempt for the Spring recital. Anyway, there's a few flubs (the third strain is a killer and has too many big leaps), but hey, this is a recital. I did this in 2 takes, and I'm not really one that HAS to have "the perfect take" (plus I don't have that kind of time)... Well, I hope you all enjoy. I will definitely do this over one day when there's less pressure - and probably soon since it's fresh. My goal in life is to play this piece at least 5-7 times a week, as I think this piece is one big technical exercise as well and really calls out every skill one needs for ragtime piano....and oh, I had my home-made gourmet mac-and-cheese sprinkled with bacon. :-) Cheers everyone!

smile

Last edited by CebuKid; 08/15/11 08:24 AM.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #1733371 08/15/11 09:07 AM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I hope to get at this as soon as possible! I am travelling, visiting, and using other people's computers....and they work shifts...and I can't find ear phones! argh..... My listening pleasure will be delayed, likewise feedback. I will get to it as soon as I can, the delay is going to be painful for me!!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

AB Forum Recital #1733377 08/15/11 09:20 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
01. Andy Platt - Chopin Waltz in B Minor, Opus 69 No 2 Thanks for the kind comments so far!

02. Jazzwee - Naima Wow, what a fantastic feel from the get go. I love the backing track with some very cool piano playing going on top. And one shot too - fantastic.

03. Mohan Karthik - Quest for Greatness I had listened for a while without realizing it was your own composition. This is a very simple, beautiful piece. You keep the arpeggios very steady and allow the very interesting melody to shine through.

04. dannylux / Mel - Etude in D flat Op.15 No.8 I have never heard of Bortkiewicz and, after hearing this beautiful piece, that's a little surprising. You did a wonderful job of capturing all the different sections that your program notes detail so nicely. There are some wonderful fluid runs that were brilliantly pulled off. I'm not sure it should be classed as an etude though wink

05. Alleykatt - Cathy - Dietro l'incanto Sticky trills, huh - I'm afraid I couldn't hear them but I'll take your word for it! You played this beautifully, keeping the piece moving forward and putting enough dynamic changes in to keep the interest going.

06. Ken. - Blue Monk Too short - I want my money back! wink Very nicely done, it swung really well and the hands were in great balance.

07. wouter79 - Maple Leaf Rag Excellent job - especially at some of the "unexpected transitions" that are in that piece - sudden pianissimos, etc..

08. Mr Super Hunky - Dream With Me As dreamy as it gets ... there are some very nice melodic twists and turns throughout. Very nice composition and beautiful playing.

09. Laura Joffe aka Ten left Thumbs - Two-part Invention no 4 in D min You didn't say if it was a two manual harpsichord? I assume not. Anyway, very nicely done. I couldn't detect the missing B naturals but I could hear the two voices coming through and intertwining very nicely.

10. timmyab - Prelude & Fugue in f minor bwv 881 The tempo was fine - I'd prefer to hear it like this than rushed and muddy. I thought you did a wonderful job of bringing out the clarity in the music, the different voices and kept it moving really nicely. And if this recital was just for beginners, there wouldn't be anything for the beginners to aim towards?!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #1733382 08/15/11 09:24 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
43 Alpha Terminus, Rondo alla Turca, Mozart

I clicked with some trepidation because I know you hadn't done as much slow practice as I though necessary - but you really impressed me with this. smile The improvement in a short time was truly amazing. Your timing is greatly improved and many of the mistakes are ironed out.

Many, but not all. Bar 7, RH 3rds need some work. Slow, hands separate practice. I suspect the 2+4 over is troubling you. You can do it! The LH of this bar is also sometimes troubling you, sometimes you get it right. The RH is consistently mis-hitting notes in this bar.

Bar 6 of the semiquaver section. E natural. The confusion is the tune is played once one way, the second time it goes in a different direction and your fingers need to know which way.

The evenness of semiquavers is greatly improved, though not perfect. You could try setting your metronome to quavers. Eg if you want to practice at 60bpm, set metronome to 120. Each click is an 8th note (1 and 2 and) so you just need to fit alternate 16ths in.

Your tendency is still to rush. This will get better as you can relax more. Easier said than done, I know! smile

Oh, and what happened to the staggered octaves? You chicken out like me? wink cluck cluck!

Good work! smile

AB Forum Recital #1733473 08/15/11 12:48 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
11. Monica K. - Le Matin Very summery, very morning time (appropriately it's 9.50 here). You brought it off very nicely and you made it sound easy even if it wasn't.

12. Cohenfan - Traumerei I love this piece (it's on my to-do list); I thought you brought the perfect amount of pathos to the piece. Super job.

13. Peyton - Message From Space I have alien voices in my head! Brilliantly contrived and wonderfully played.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Jump Monk I didn't prance, but the playing certainly did. It was very infectious! I'm not going to try to sing it either ...

15. Inlanding - Glen - Prelude, Everything Happens to Me, Sun Up Three pieces for the price of one! The Glière was beautiful - very nicely controlled. "Everything happens to me" was a very nice improvisation but my favorite was your own composition "Sun Up". It did bring a ray of dreamy sunshine, and was very delicately played.

16. cscl - Schubert Waltzes Op. 9, Nos. 1-3 (D365) Three beautifully played waltz's. I loved the left hand in the first piece especially - it really got that waltz feel without getting in the way.

17. Todd Vance - Clair De Lune I'm learning a Debussey piece right now and I know how difficult it is to get the feel right. I think you did a great job balancing all the different voices and it moved along nicely, without some of the over-sentimentality that can ruin this piece.

18. (Was)TrueBeginner - Little Waltz That's a lovely waltz you composed - it has a very French feel to me. I would play around with the pedal a little - it's quite dry and I think a half pedal would work OK.

19. Sam S - Song Without Words Opus 38/6 I really enjoyed the performance from your live recital and really enjoyed this too. The voices you worked on at the camp really paid off because they shine through!

20. Cebu Kid - Maple Leaf Rag Two maple leaf rags in one recital. Yours really moved at a nice pace and some good dynamics in there too.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #1733478 08/15/11 12:58 PM
1- This is the first time that I participate in something like this, and I am in awe of the talent (hard work) shown during these performances I just heard. I think that the word "beginner" needs to be redefined. smile

2- How I wrote my comments: I shrunk the PW player to one side of the screen and opened word next to it with the template. I wrote what I felt as I listened to each piece. I must say that it was very enjoyable and it made for a very pleasant morning. Thank you!

01. Andy Platt - Chopin Waltz in B Minor, Opus 69 No 2 Not an easy piece to play at all, and you played it beautifully... and you played it live!

02. Jazzwee - Naima Wow! I totally love this! I have some of Coltrane's recordings and your interpretation is up there with the professionally recorded ones. Great stuff!

03. Mohan Karthik - Quest for Greatness Such a lovely piece, and yours is a beautiful interpretation. You handled the crescendos and dim. beautifully.

04. dannylux / Mel - Etude in D flat Op.15 No.8 Gorgeous piece, beautifully played. You played it with lots of passion... and it sounds very difficult. smile

05. Alleykatt - Cathy - Dietro l'incanto Love the mysterious tone of this piece at the beginning as well as the melody that follows. You played it beautifully.

06. Ken. - Blue Monk You truly can play the blues. smile Loved it!

07. wouter79 - Maple Leaf Rag You did a wonderful, wonderful job with a very, very difficult piece!

08. Mr Super Hunky - Dream With Me Wow! This is an original?! Love the "new age" sound. Beautifully performed as well.

09. Laura Joffe aka Ten left Thumbs - Two-part Invention no 4 in D min The harpsichord sound gives so much authenticity to this piece! None of this stuff is easy and your performance is excellent.

10. timmyab - Prelude & Fugue in f minor bwv 881 What a beautiful performance. Excellent use of dynamics! ...not an easy piece at all.

11. Monica K. - Le Matin You played Tiersen's music beautifully. You have some sort of affinity for this type of music because you play it well. Loved your interpretation!

12. Cohenfan - Traumerei Oh... How lovely and pieceful... Loved your playing very much.

13. Peyton - Message From Space This is a very serious composition... very professional. Somehow it reminded me of Philip Glass. It is always pleasant hearing a composer playing his own music. smile

14. Riddler (Ed) - Jump Monk To play jazzy music the player must posses some sort of internal, internal rhythm. You definitely got it. smile

15. Inlanding - Glen - Prelude, Everything Happens to Me, Sun Up (Okay... A cabin in the mountains in a ski resort, it is evening and after a day of skiing, you and your better half sit by the fireplace with a bottle of wine and just chill... That is what came to mind while listening to your music. Lovely...)

16. cscl - Schubert Waltzes Op. 9, Nos. 1-3 (D365) You played this waltz with lots of sentiment. You were playing the music and not just the notes. I enjoyed listening to you.

17. Todd Vance - Clair De Lune Such a lovely piece, one of my favorites. You played it very well, indeed!

18. (Was)TrueBeginner - Little Waltz What a beautiful melody! ... And I have news for you... You are NOT a beginner. smile

19. Sam S - Song Without Words Opus 38/6 You certainly made the melody sing. Loved you interpretation of this (not easy) piece.

20. Cebu Kid - Maple Leaf Rag Wow! Nice!! I wrestled with this piece in the late 70's and I know how very difficult it is. Great interpretation!!

21. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Verde Smeraldo Very nicely played! I do not know if it is, but it sounds like a study in triplets. Great stuff!

22. cgyan (Iain) - Along The Codorus Oh... this is a beautiful melody. Beautifully, beautifully played!

23. Serge88 - Someone saved my life tonight Nice... Quiet... Soothing... And I think your interpretation made it so.

24. joangolfing - Sarabande in F Major Lovely rendition of this dance. How peaceful!

26. Wisebuff - Late Train A haunting melody and I enjoyed listening to you play it... Very beautiful interpretation!

27. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Heal Our Land How tranquil... You have put a lot of sentiment into this interpretation. Superb! You are far from being a beginner. smile Loved listening to you!

28. Wayne32yrs - Radiohead - Creep I like this. It sounds like a difficult piece to play, and you played it well!

29. IRPRONI (Ismael Rodríguez) - Rue Des Cascades Love this! Great interpretation!

30. BenPiano - I Giorni I find this type of music very relaxing, but I am sure that it also has to do with how it is played. You played it very well and I enjoyed listening to you.

31. GracieCat - Wonderland Lovely melody and your interpretation is beautiful.

32. Augustina - Song from a Secret Garden Oh, how lovely is this! It made me think of a movie soundtrack. You played it beautifully.

33. BillM (formerly b528nf7) - When I'm Sixty-four I love this tune. smile For me it is way up there with Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da; and your interpretation is terrific!!

34. Strings & Wood - Op. 28 No. 20 Oh, I love this Prelude. You did a wonderful job handling those chords!!

35. Griffin2417 (Griffin) - Prelude in G minor (BWV 558 ) Playing Bach is never an easy task. You truly played this piece beautifully. Loved your dynamics.

36. Teodor - Madder Sky (Code Geass) Sounds like a very powerful piece of music and I enjoyed how you played it.

37. Copper - Moon River Nice and relaxed. Lovely interpretation. Loved the background effect!!

38. Bluekeys - Waltz in A Minor I learned this piece many years ago and it is not an easy piece. It may sound easy to play, but it is not at all! Your interpretation is great!

39. jotur/Cathy Turner - When My Sugar Walks Down the Street I love this type of bluesy music!! You played this very well. One cannot help swaying to the beat. Nice!!!

40. anthonyb - I Giorni Lovely, calming effect. I enjoyed your playing very much!

41. CMohr - Summer Night I wish all summer nights were this beautiful. Gorgeous playing!

42. Lain - Autumn Moon Over the Calm Lake Autumn is my (and my wife's) favorite season. smile What a lovely imagery I got with your music! Excellent playing!!

43. Alpha Terminus (Jim Henderson) - Rondo Alla Turca Great interpretation of a not easy piece!!

44. Yamaha G-3 & P-80 - Por El Sur What a lovely melody! Beautifully played.

45. MaryBee - Clair de Lune, from Suite Bergamasque Claire (my wife ) and I love this piece for sentimental reasons. It is way up there with Chopin's Berceuse. Your playing of it is heart-felt. Lovely!

46. Starr Keys - The Last Time I Saw Paris J'adore! This being the last recital piece, its echo kept sounding in my head... just as beautiful as the city itself.

Again, thank you. ...And a big round of applause for you all!!
Until next time.

Clemente

Last edited by Clemente; 08/15/11 01:07 PM.

Be careful about wanting to reach the top because once you are at the top, the only place left to go is down.

[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #1733500 08/15/11 01:33 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
01 - Andy Platt – I think you did a real good job here, congrats smile

02 – Jazzwee - That sounded very professional, I might PM you at
some point to enquire about how you did that if that’s
ok.

03 - Mohan Karthik – That’s really good, can’t believe you composed it
yourself, excellent!

04 - dannylux / Mel – I bet that’s difficult to play, very nice smile

05 - Alleykatt – Cathy – I “liked” this on your YT, great job!

06 - Ken. – This made me smile, reminded me of a slow “farvmville” tune
Lol.

07 - wouter79 – I’m actually familiar with this one, you did great!

08 - Mr Super Hunky – I can see what you mean about concentrating on
the melody, this was really nice.

09 - Laura Joffe aka Ten left Thumbs – That certainly stands out from
the crowd, congrats!

10 – timmyab – loved it! (I recognised parts of it, if that makes sense)

Clemente #1733509 08/15/11 01:44 PM

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
What a wonderful way to start the week! Congrats to you all!

20. Cebu Kid - Maple Leaf Rag I'm starting with you because of the little glitch......Great work on a real finger-twister! I particularly like the way you kept this moving along despite a few little "misses". Your tempo sounded perfect and your articulation is very good! You don't have too much to do for this to be perfection - loved it! (and I'd love to have your recipe for the mac&cheese with bacon. smile Sounds yummy!)

21. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Verde Smeraldo You've put some nice emotion in this, Cheryl! You really are playing - nice evenness and definite progress in your piano journey. A lovely little piece and some applause, too!

22. cgyan (Iain) - Along The Codorus Really pretty amazing playing for a year and a half! Excellently performed and recorded. You seem so in touch with whatever piece you play - confidence and surety shine through. Absolutely beautiful - gave me goosebumps.

23. Serge88 - Someone saved my life tonightI liked this a lot! I don't mind the drum track....You have enough going on in both hands that it would be just as great without it. The melody really sang out. It's wonderful to hear this Elton John tune. Well done!

24. joangolfing - Sarabande in F Major I love the Handel Sarabandes - You've got the dynamics just right and really brought out the stateliness of the piece. Really very well performed!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
AB Forum Recital #1733510 08/15/11 01:48 PM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
01. Andy Platt - Chopin Waltz in B Minor, Opus 69 No 2 ~ Andy, that was superbly played! This one certainly sounds the most live, and it is! It is clear you are listening to the music as you play and expressing it as fully as you can during your recital. Of anything I could suggest regarding your most excellent recital version, it would be to slow it a bit and make those subtle changes in dynamics a bit more obvious. When I start playing again, you have further motivated me to want to learn to play it and add it to my repertoire. Really good playing, Andy. Thank you!

02. Jazzwee - Naima ~ You hit this one out of the park, Jazzwee! The progression and melody of this piece is pretty atypical of many jazz pieces and you made great sense of it by not going too far out. You have a fantastic ear. Thanks for sharing this unique jazz ballad.

03. Mohan Karthik - Quest for Greatness ~ Mohan, it is hard to imagine you've been playing for such a short time and able to create such a meaningful composition. It could easily be on a CD and I think when the time comes, the title of it should be this piece. Really great.

04. dannylux / Mel - Etude in D flat Op.15 No.8 ~ lots going on with this Etude. At times it sounds like an old jazz standard arrangement that's been taken to a very high level. You play this like you love it, very sensitively, and caringly. You did a great job working those long LH arpeggios cleanly while keeping a steady RH melody. Thank you for your music, Mel.

05. Alleykatt - Cathy - Dietro l'incanto ~ Cathy, you bring out so much emotion. As technically more difficult as you say the piece was to play, you clearly enjoyed bringing out the twists and turns with great beauty. I love the sound of your Aeolian baby grand and your touch! This one's a keeper.

06. Ken. - Blue Monk ~ Fantastic blues on Blue Monk. You did great keeping the tempo while working the LH melody and harmonies. Love the ending with that three dollar chord! Good work.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
AB Forum Recital #1733576 08/15/11 02:54 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
11 - Monica K. - Really enjoyed that, it was lovely.

12 - Cohenfan - Another nice piece, I think you played it nice!

13 - Peyton - Seriously brilliant, my favourite so far.

14 - Riddler (Ed) - You seem to have your own style, good job.

15 - Inlanding - Glen - I watched the wrong video on YT ha ha, listened to the mp3 in the end, very nice.

16 - cscl - I don't think it could have been played better,congrats

17 - Todd Vance - Great job, I didn't notice any mistakes.

18 - (Was)TrueBeginner - so did you compose that? very good by the way.

19 - Sam S - I can't believe some idiot disliked your vid, i thought you were great!

20 - Cebu Kid - Played very well, reminds me of the sort of music you'd hear on cartoons, ha ha.

AB Forum Recital #1733577 08/15/11 02:58 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
2 Jazzwee - Naima

Very smooth! I'm glad you told me how to pronounce it, I never knew. Good to hear you play.

AB Forum Recital #1733584 08/15/11 03:11 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Just goes to show that constantly doing these recitals does a lot of good. Everyone's playing just keeps improving. Maybe we won't have any beginners left smile

Here's the first half.

01. Andy Platt - Chopin Waltz in B Minor, Opus 69 No 2
Very nice rendition Andy especially the subtle movement of the rhythm!

03. Mohan Karthik - Quest for Greatness
Nice work Mohan. Sounds very New Age. Did you play this live or did you overlay the melody in a second take. If live, that would have been quite difficult.

04. dannylux / Mel - Etude in D flat Op.15 No.8
Such a nice piece. It's as if each hand is flowing through the melody independently even in time. Great work.

05. Alleykatt - Cathy - Dietro l'incanto
Nice production there Cathy. The video was so nicely done it felt like I was listening to the theme of a movie. I enjoyed your playing a lot. BTW I lived in (Central) Wisconsin for many many years.

06. Ken. - Blue Monk
Sounded great Ken. You should have improvised on it. I still have a problem playing this head perfectly with those thirds. You did it with ease. Congrats!

07. wouter79 - Maple Leaf Rag
Nice work on this. I'm just imagining the difficulty of the stride. Must have been lots of work. A little harsh on the tone so maybe ease up on the touch a little. Not bad at all for so little time on the piano. You're doing very well.

08. Mr Super Hunky - Dream With Me
I just loved the modulations. Sophisticated composition. Piano sounds great and the playing is excellent.

09. Laura Joffe aka Ten left Thumbs - Two-part Invention no 4 in D min
Amazing. I just loved the sound of it. Normally when I hear a Harpishchord it's a low volume affair and this has a different feel because of the quality of the recording. I just enjoyed the exactness of the control in your playing. Very nice.

10. timmyab - Prelude & Fugue in f minor bwv 881
Very well done Timmyab. Ah, the evenness problem. I stress over that too. I think as we get more advanced we hear every little uneven touch. I can hear it but it's so slight that the average listener would not notice. A moving target smile I enjoyed your playing a lot!

11. Monica K. - Le Matin
Very nice Monica, especially when it got to those arpeggios that stood out from the LH. Yes you could lighten the LH some more to increase the contrast but you played it very well.

12. Cohenfan - Traumerei
That was great CohenFan. Touch was very nice. Liked it a lot. You're doing well.

13. Peyton - Message From Space
Of course I already heard this and commented before. I just admire your creativity. Now that I've heard it a second time, I just noted the polyrhythmic nature more. Very interesting how you do that.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Jump Monk
Unaccompanied! What a rare treat. Now I'm the one accompanied. Very sophisticated arrangement. Did you write it out, even the solo? I thought it was improvised (see, you could have kept that to yourself smile )/

15. Inlanding - Glen - Prelude, Everything Happens to Me, Sun Up
Once again, such a beautiful touch. I'll develop that touch when I grow up. So beautifully played. How do manage to know thousands of tunes and then you can play multiples of them at once? I can't even remember the melody to many. Nice contrast of styles BTW. Showcases your flexibility.

16. cscl - Schubert Waltzes Op. 9, Nos. 1-3 (D365)
That sounded great. And the recording quality was excellent so it made it even more enjoyable.

17. Todd Vance - Clair De Lune
Good work Todd. You are doing well. A very lovely rendition. To bring it to the next level, add some dynamic contrasts and maybe make it flow more rubato.

18. (Was)TrueBeginner - Little Waltz
Good job TB and especially admirable that you took on a challenge. That can only work to your benefit later. I always practice without pedal a lot because it exposes technical issues that I need to work on. Here you will notice that you can work to improve the legato in the RH melody. I enjoyed it!

19. Sam S - Song Without Words Opus 38/6
Sam - really enjoyed your camp story btw. I liked your explanation of Soprano and Baritone exchanging roles. It made me appreciate what's happening more. Very nicely played.

20. Cebu Kid - Maple Leaf Rag
Very nice CebuKid. You have a really nice piano touch. I think you just pushed the tempo too hard. Dial it down a tad and I'm sure it will be perfect. Your tempo wavered there too. LOL. Competing with the red dot.

21. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Verde Smeraldo
Cheryl, I can feel that energy on the piano. What I really sense is a good letting go and you don't hold back. Shows up even in a short piece. Next time you've got to submit something longer! smile Good work!

22. cgyan (Iain) - Along The Codorus
Very pretty piece and playing Iain. Impressive for a year and half.

23. Serge88 - Someone saved my life tonight
I vote Drum Track! It's just that kind of music. I thought I was sitting in a piano bar. Very fun.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thoughts on the Chopin Concerto
by samwitdangol - 07/06/20 08:24 PM
Help! Headphone volume problem.
by Eugene911 - 07/06/20 08:21 PM
Casio CDP-S350 Key Removal
by Rikka Takanashi - 07/06/20 08:05 PM
Teacher Search
by CajunJ - 07/06/20 07:05 PM
N1X vs CA79
by pianissimo_ - 07/06/20 07:03 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,079
Posts2,977,644
Members97,686
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission