2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K
Here are some Chopin Mazurkas performed by Shaun Tirrell on a Steingraeber 212 prepared and customized by PianoCraft.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Very nice!

Great sound.. my favorite recordings still remain ones made on Bosies but this is very good too!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bravo, Shaun! That was some of the best Chopin I've heard in a long time. Your approach to tempo in the 3 mazurkas was just right for my money -- from the abundant, tasteful rubato in the 1st piece to the ethereal flow of the 2nd and the gossamer lightness (and fairly strict constant tempo) in the 3rd. And the phrasing and dynamic range in the A minor were exceptional.

Keith -- what did you do to "customize" the piano? I played a Steingraeber in your showroom several years ago. I recall the action being nearly perfect in the way it maximized the player's ability to control the quality and dynamics of tone. But I also remember it as having a kind of bell-like treble, more so than many European instruments, which bothered my ear. Not so with this instrument, which had a clear, singing treble that would give Hamburg Steinways a run for the money. Congratulations on a wonderful piece of craftsmanship.

Phil Bjorlo
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Gorgeous...Shaun is amazing - and that piano is stunning - a great combination. It doesn't get better than this.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Nice, but I think that it would look and sound better in my living room.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hey Keith,

What a sterling presentation of that piano!

First of all, the visual setting. I'm not a fan of the shape of grand pianos or the impact that a grand piano has on a room, but this setting is just wonderful, and that Steingraeber with that finish and presented on its short stick has a very pleasing visual line.

Second, the artist. Mr. Tirrell makes Chopin the star. His manner never distracts from the music. His movements are compact with no flamboyance. His playing is secure and confident without being aloof. His phrasing shows an introspective approach that puts Chopin's message first and foremost.

Third, the piano. In listening (3 times now) I really got into the shape of the tone and the length of the decay. They worked so well together!. IMO the sustain was long enough to support the flow of the music without being so long that it interfered with an appreciation of all the notes and their dynamics. Although all three Mazurkas demonstrated this and the second one played is a personal favorite of mine, I thought the last one in particular showcased the balance of fundamental tone and an appropriate sustain.

Last, I don't know to what extent it was the touch control of Mr. Tirrell and to what extent it was the preparation of the piano, but it was noticeable to me that this piano was in no way as percussively bright as a new Steingraeber grand can be.

In that vein, I have a question for you. (Go figure grin). With regard to this piano as played, where did preparation end and customization begin? I ask that because I know you choose your Steingraebers at the factory and I have heard from others that Mr. Steingaeber will see to it that his pianos are prepped to the liking of his retailer customer before they leave the factory.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

Hi Keith:

Don't know what you did with that piano, but whatever it was, it sure works!

Take care,

Steve

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Keith,

First - Bravo Shaun!

Second - how was the piano mic. set up? Was it strictly an ambient recording (which I think it was) or did you somehow mic it differently?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Keith,

That is one nice piano. Thanks for posting the video.

Dan

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Keith,

Wow I can pick out each note clearly..., sounds like a volume control knob is attached to Shaun and the Piano...dynamics...love em!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Yamaha P-120, Feurich 122

Always look ahead, but never look back. - Miles Davis
K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Keith,

First - Bravo Shaun!

Second - how was the piano mic. set up? Was it strictly an ambient recording (which I think it was) or did you somehow mic it differently?

If I remember correctly, the two mics were not too far from the piano, and maybe 5 feet off the ground. I couldn't tell you the types of mics used or anything else, other than they were positioned in a way to not intrude on the audience, and they actually sounded much better in another spot.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by beethoven986

This piano is for sale, so I am positive you are correct!

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you for sharing, Keith and Shaun. Beautiful instrument, beautiful playing!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Originally Posted by beethoven986

This piano is for sale, so I am positive you are correct!

Darn. Too bad all I have is pocket lint right now!

K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Emanuel Ravelli
Bravo, Shaun! That was some of the best Chopin I've heard in a long time. Your approach to tempo in the 3 mazurkas was just right for my money -- from the abundant, tasteful rubato in the 1st piece to the ethereal flow of the 2nd and the gossamer lightness (and fairly strict constant tempo) in the 3rd. And the phrasing and dynamic range in the A minor were exceptional.

Keith -- what did you do to "customize" the piano? I played a Steingraeber in your showroom several years ago. I recall the action being nearly perfect in the way it maximized the player's ability to control the quality and dynamics of tone. But I also remember it as having a kind of bell-like treble, more so than many European instruments, which bothered my ear. Not so with this instrument, which had a clear, singing treble that would give Hamburg Steinways a run for the money. Congratulations on a wonderful piece of craftsmanship.

The customization of this piano included changing the hammer weight, reducing the mass in the action, and rebalancing the action to match the new hammer weight.
It also included changing the hammer strike point, and of course voicing. We did not change the soundboard or bridges of this piano in any way, as it incorporated from the factory previous changes we had made to older model Steingraebers that Udo agreed with.

A few other secret herbs and spices were thrown in for good measure as well.

The goal was to absolutely preserve the authentic voice of the Steingraeber while making the control of that voice to be ideally intuitive and responsive for the player. It is interesting to note that Udo Steingraeber has heard several of our customized Steingraebers and has always commented that the true voice of his pianos was absolutely preserved. The last time he observed this was after coming from another dealer who he felt had overvoiced his pianos to the point of killing the Steingraeber voice.
I think some of this comes accross in the Youtube videos, but you really need to try this piano for yourself to experience what I am talking about. You are more than invited!

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

K
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by turandot
Hey Keith,

What a sterling presentation of that piano!

Second, the artist. Mr. Tirrell makes Chopin the star. His manner never distracts from the music. His movements are compact with no flamboyance. His playing is secure and confident without being aloof. His phrasing shows an introspective approach that puts Chopin's message first and foremost.

Third, the piano. In listening (3 times now) I really got into the shape of the tone and the length of the decay. They worked so well together!. IMO the sustain was long enough to support the flow of the music without being so long that it interfered with an appreciation of all the notes and their dynamics. Although all three Mazurkas demonstrated this and the second one played is a personal favorite of mine, I thought the last one in particular showcased the balance of fundamental tone and an appropriate sustain.

Last, I don't know to what extent it was the touch control of Mr. Tirrell and to what extent it was the preparation of the piano, but it was noticeable to me that this piano was in no way as percussively bright as a new Steingraeber grand can be.

In that vein, I have a question for you. (Go figure grin). With regard to this piano as played, where did preparation end and customization begin? I ask that because I know you choose your Steingraebers at the factory and I have heard from others that Mr. Steingaeber will see to it that his pianos are prepped to the liking of his retailer customer before they leave the factory.

Hi Turandot,

Thanks for the nice comments. Your observation about the balance and shape of the tone on this piano was dead on, and Im kind of shocked and pleased that you were able to get that from a YouTube video.

As for what you are describing as a percussive brilliance that you normally hear in Steingraebers, I assure you, that sound is definately available in this piano should the pianist desire it, and it is an important part of the Steingraeber tone. However, we have set this piano up a bit differently from how they come from the factory and the pianist has to work a bit harder to get that sound. It is interesting that you made that comment because Udo Steingraeber also noticed this. We demonstrated to him that it was still in his piano, only it required a bit more effort than normal to achieve. He was delighted.
It is important to note that we don't customize all our Steingraebers and we have sold many that nothing more than basic work was done, and those clients are quite happy.
The post above this one hopefully answers your other questions.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Keith,

If a customers wants a customized Steingreaber as you described above, how much extra do you charge for that (e.g. as a % of the normal selling price)- this is of course if you want to disclose this here.

I ask because once I got a quote for exactly the same type of work, i.e.:
The customization of this piano included changing the hammer weight, reducing the mass in the action, and rebalancing the action to match the new hammer weight.
It also included changing the hammer strike point, and of course voicing.

P.S. What I am going to say now may soudn a bit silly but whenever I played a Steingreaber, something that I always found exceptionally good, in fact beyond anything was the abck action, i.e; trapwork + damper mechanism.

schwammerl.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Quite lovely playing of the mazurkas...quite lovely piano as well.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Your observation about the balance and shape of the tone on this piano was dead on, and Im kind of shocked and pleased that you were able to get that from a YouTube video.

Oh Ye of little faith! grin

Sennhrisers helped, and it is. after all. a very fine recording. And that piano..........is a knockout.

Yes, Keith. Many thanks. All my questions have been answered. Some of them had already been answered in your post to Emmanuel Ravelli.

My suspicions have also been confirmed once again. You are one dangerous hombre. smile

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[quote=Emanuel Ravelli. . .Keith -- what did you do to "customize" the piano? I played a Steingraeber in your showroom several years ago. I recall the action being nearly perfect in the way it maximized the player's ability to control the quality and dynamics of tone. But I also remember it as having a kind of bell-like treble, more so than many European instruments, which bothered my ear. Not so with this instrument, which had a clear, singing treble that would give Hamburg Steinways a run for the money. Congratulations on a wonderful piece of craftsmanship.

It also included changing the hammer strike point, and of course voicing. We did not change the soundboard or bridges of this piano in any way, as it incorporated from the factory previous changes we had made to older model Steingraebers that Udo agreed with.

A few other secret herbs and spices were thrown in for good measure as well.

The goal was to absolutely preserve the authentic voice of the Steingraeber while making the control of that voice to be ideally intuitive and responsive for the player. It is interesting to note that Udo Steingraeber has heard several of our customized Steingraebers and has always commented that the true voice of his pianos was absolutely preserved. The last time he observed this was after coming from another dealer who he felt had overvoiced his pianos to the point of killing the Steingraeber voice.
I think some of this comes accross in the Youtube videos, but you really need to try this piano for yourself to experience what I am talking about. You are more than invited!

Thanks; I hope to see you again some time soon. I have to be careful, though. The day I bought my first grand piano, I went out to buy a pair of athletic socks. My wife, who was only slightly amused by this, may insist on coming with me this time. And she'll make sure that my pockets, like those of beethoven986, contain nothing more negotiable than lint. Anyway, keep up the good work!

Phil Bjorlo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission