2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (36251, Animisha, Chris Warren, cygnusdei, anotherscott, BravoRomeo, ambrozy, An Old Square, butchkoch, 9 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1732918 08/14/11 04:27 PM
C
ChasT Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
My church's choir and one from another church have been asked to join a larger local church in presenting selections from Handel's "Messiah" next December. The program should be a bit more than an hour. Their choir director at the host church used to be my choir director's student. This will be the first time that he's directed her.

Last Sunday, we did the first run-thru of "The Glory Of The Lord." At the risk of blowing our own horn, it sounded really good today, when we did it. This was only us; we won't get with the other choirs for a while. We're fairly small, only about a dozen in the choir, and several were out. We began work on "O Thou That Tellest" today, too.

I'm a bit stoked. This is gonna' be fun! The only problem is that Mr. Handel thinks I should be able to sing F sharps and G sharps. I'm talking about the ones at the top of the tenor range. I'm really a baritone, but that's not how most of our music is written, so I fake tenor.

I learned last night that the combined choir is a bit short on tenors. I just hope there are enough tenor soloists that nobody looks my direction. I'm a much better back-up singer, WAY back.

Anyway, that's about it. Oh, and to keep the topic legal in this forum, we were accompanied by a piano.

Charles

ChasT #1733021 08/14/11 06:18 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Interesting post, Charles!

I'll bet you and your choir sound fantastic!

I wrote a new song this weekend entitled "Just because you got the blues don't mean you have to lose your faith"! laugh

It’s the kind of song that would be appropriate to perform at church or the local bar... (If there is such a thing laugh )

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
ChasT #1733057 08/14/11 07:11 PM
C
ChasT Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Hi, Rick.

I'm right proud of our choir. We're not that big (the church, that is), with about 100 or so on Sunday. When the choir is full, we have 12. Today, we had 9: 2 sopranos, 2 altos, 3 tenors, and 2 bases. We sang "Give Me Jesus" in four-part for the offeratory anthem. As you know, it's kind of hard to tell how it all sounds when you're in the middle of it, but, to me, it sounded wonderful. Yvette, our choir director, looked really, really pleased and we got lots of good feedback. We always cut back during the summer because of vacations and it was nice to be back.

Do you remember a month or two back when one of our Aussie posters (CinnamonBear?) linked to a recording of his new/old Haddorf piano? The song was "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye? It was a beautiful song. We started working on it today. We'll be doing it in a few weeks. (Thanks, CinnamonBear.) See, you can learn new and worthwhile things here.

Anyway, I guess you can tell I like my choir. I'm glad we're back in season.

Charles

ChasT #1733466 08/15/11 11:30 AM
F# and G# for a baritone? You really don't want to hear those notes coming out of my mouth! I love the Messiah, they had a touring company several years ago giving a performance of "The New Young Messiah" it's reworked with modern arrangements and the top CC artists. Here in the SF Bay Area there are a few opportunities to attend the "Sing Along Messiah" You bring your music and everyone sings along to a full orchestra with soloists. Many choirs from all over usually show up and the sound of 1000+ people singing is fantastic. A real must if you know the literature. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMchcKapF3U

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
ChasT #1733477 08/15/11 11:54 AM
C
ChasT Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Swarth,

You don't really want to hear me, either. My falsetto is pretty bad. Not too reliable, either. Still, I was quite happy with the way "And The Glory" sounded at practice Sunday. The bass line includes the C above middle C and goes down to the A# and octave and a half down. Do you think our choir director will notice if I sing that part? It sure does suit me better.

A sing along Messiah sounds interesting. A thousand singers?? Wow! I don't know any real numbers, but I'm expecting about 50-60 singers for what we're doing. They're working on getting a small orchestra together. The host church has a small band and the music director has an in with Georgia Southern University and Armstrong State Universitiy, so we may get some fill-in there. There's only that pesky money issue...

Charles

PS: I was driving home a while ago and passed the church. A black car with an Atlanta tag was stopped in the street in front of the church and then turned into the parking lot. I turned around and drove over to see what was going on and if I could offer assistance. It was the architect that had designed the building. It was built in 1964. He and his wife were passing through town and thought they'd drive by and see how the church looked. It was one of the first churches they had done. It was a nice conversation. ct

ChasT #1733603 08/15/11 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by ChasT

Do you remember a month or two back when one of our Aussie posters (CinnamonBear?) linked to a recording of his new/old Haddorf piano? The song was "He Wipes The Tear From Every Eye? It was a beautiful song. We started working on it today. We'll be doing it in a few weeks. (Thanks, CinnamonBear.) See, you can learn new and worthwhile things here.

CinnamonBear is not from "down under" - he's alive and well in Rockford, Illinois, where the Haddorf piano factory was located. He'll be pleased to know that you are using "He Wipes the Tear."

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
ChasT #1733612 08/15/11 03:05 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Takes me back to my choir days, Chas. Similarly-sized congregation and choir, but our choir director had gone to conservatory before becoming an architect (and he designed the church). My first piano teacher was the accompanist. We did some very ambitious things for such a small group, and, like your choir, the baritones had to stretch out and try to cover the tenor voices. And that was me. Sometimes they would give the riskier out-of-range parts to the alto section.

August is not a bit too soon to start working on this piece. Best of luck with it.

Clef

ChasT #1733684 08/15/11 04:33 PM
C
ChasT Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Hi, Clef.

Three years ago, we barely had a choir. Then, we got our current director. Her undergraduate degree was in music or music ed. She taught high school choral group for 10 or 12 years. She retired last June (principal).

Our first difficult piece was John Rutter's "Candlelight Carol." It beat us up for a while, but we survived and did a pretty good job with it. We've done several pretty nice pieces since, especially for Advent and Lent. We pick things up pretty quickly, now.

Charles

ChasT #1804555 12/11/11 10:19 PM
C
ChasT Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
It's over. I'm tired. Here are the basics:

54 In the choir. One conductor. Organ, flute, oboe, clarinet, cello, timpani, trumpet. Maybe 500 in the audience (town of 10,000). 2 Instrumentals, 10 solos, 9 chorus pieces.

I think it went extremely well, especially for a small community. We had lots of positive feedback. I was really impressed with the quality of the solos. The rest of the tenors managed to hide my cat impersonations. (I'm swearing off F's, G's and A's for a while.)

Mention was made of getting together again (the 3 choirs) before Easter to do a program. Uhh, let me think about it a minute. Okay! I'll do it! I had a great time.

Charles

ChasT #1804568 12/11/11 10:46 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by ChasT
It's over. I'm tired. Here are the basics:

54 In the choir. One conductor. Organ, flute, oboe, clarinet, cello, timpani, trumpet. Maybe 500 in the audience (town of 10,000). 2 Instrumentals, 10 solos, 9 chorus pieces.

I think it went extremely well, especially for a small community. We had lots of positive feedback. I was really impressed with the quality of the solos. The rest of the tenors managed to hide my cat impersonations. (I'm swearing off F's, G's and A's for a while.)

Mention was made of getting together again (the 3 choirs) before Easter to do a program. Uhh, let me think about it a minute. Okay! I'll do it! I had a great time.

Charles

Chas,

Great to her you had a blast! Making music only gets better in groups, IMHO, particularly when there are good musicians in the group. The communication and expressive possibilities increase geometrically!

Any recordings available?

Oh yeah, piano, piano, piano! wink

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
ChasT #1804573 12/11/11 10:56 PM
C
ChasT Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Rich,

They did record it. No video. I don't know when it'll be available, but I will get one.

And, though no one played it, the C6 was on stage.

Charles

ChasT #1804576 12/11/11 11:09 PM
R
R
When I was visiting Rich's store, I started playing "Comfort Ye" and Rich joined in. He is a great singer!!
We hosted a "Messiah Sing-In" several years ago. Had a Baroque orchestra and pre-rehearsed soloists. Everybody enjoyed it and we had a couple hundred people there.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
ChasT #1804580 12/11/11 11:16 PM
C
ChasT Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
A "Messiah" sing-in; that sounds like fun! Say when and where. I'll bring my book.

Charles

ChasT #1804841 12/12/11 01:37 PM
THat's a great turn out . I'm glad to see real music being played by real people. Keep it up, it can really bring community together.

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
RickG1 #1804879 12/12/11 03:03 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RickG1
When I was visiting Rich's store, I started playing "Comfort Ye" and Rich joined in. He is a great singer!!
We hosted a "Messiah Sing-In" several years ago. Had a Baroque orchestra and pre-rehearsed soloists. Everybody enjoyed it and we had a couple hundred people there.

I'll have to ask Rich about this... didn't know that he would break out the Handel at the drop of a hat! grin

Had my first Messiah of the season last night and it was thrilling. It seems as though Christmas doesn't begin for me until the first chord of the overture sounds. My only complaint is that "The Trumpet Shall Sound" isn't written for tenor. Oh well...we can't have all the good music wink

Musician, Singer, Teacher, Humorist, Dad...

“I have an inferiority complex, but it’s not a very good one.”
― Steven Wright
Beacon Chris #1805330 12/13/11 10:17 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Beacon Chris

I'll have to ask Rich about this... didn't know that he would break out the Handel at the drop of a hat! grin

It all depends Chris. I might break out into Puccini, or Handel, or sometimes Verdi - just for fun. But nobody is paying me big $$ to do it in front of major orchestras, like someone else in this thread. smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
removing dust from bridge using piano string,
by Maximillyan - 11/28/21 05:51 AM
When Mozart plays a mean trick on you
by cygnusdei - 11/28/21 02:20 AM
Thin\hollow sound - improvement possible?
by TBell - 11/28/21 01:26 AM
Es920
by Jitin - 11/27/21 10:11 PM
Shopping spree reports
by Marc345 - 11/27/21 06:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,283
Posts3,149,286
Members103,450
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission