2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
74 members (Beowulf, AaronSF, ando, Brahms4, anotherscott, austilat01, almo82, 36251, 16 invisible), 620 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732264 08/13/11 12:21 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,728
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,728
Awesome - just don't ban me when I notify them =P



"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732280 08/13/11 12:56 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,837
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,837
Yep...I can take care of stuff in the Pianists' Corner. Outside the corner, one of the admins will have to take care of it.

Let the notifications begin! laugh


"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732282 08/13/11 12:58 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,728
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,728
I've already notified most of the threads I've started.. and it's working. yay! The posts.. will be annoying because the ones I don't like are buried among so many others....



"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732284 08/13/11 01:00 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,837
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,837
Haha! BB beat me to the punch. That guy's fast!


"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732285 08/13/11 01:00 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,149
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,149
Removing selected posts changes threads. If someone is having a thread conversation and half the conversation suddenly disappears, the other poster's writing is suddenly nonsensical. If you start allowing people to remove their own posts selectively, shouldn't you also notify everyone else whose posts now are left dangling so that they too can choose whether or not to have their own posts removed? Mucking with history, even internet history, is complicated.

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Piano*Dad #1732287 08/13/11 01:02 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 23,003
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 23,003
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Removing selected posts changes threads. If someone is having a thread conversation and half the conversation suddenly disappears, the other poster's writing is suddenly nonsensical. If you start allowing people to remove their own posts selectively, shouldn't you also notify everyone else whose posts now are left dangling so that they too can choose whether or not to have their own posts removed? Mucking with history, even internet history, is complicated.

Good concern. I'd guess, though, that there's no need to do anything like that since this is a rare instance.

I do think it's a reason not to have this be common. And I continue wondering if most of Pogo's concern is needless and there isn't very much of her posting that needs the kind of attention they're planning to give it. I think this is so, but only she can judge.

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732288 08/13/11 01:04 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,837
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,837
That's why we generally don't remove posts. Don't worry, we'll do our best to preserve the integrity of the discussions.

(And also, it's why we leave things as being marked as edited. That way, at least people will know that history has been mucked with.)


"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732299 08/13/11 01:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,728
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,728
I think I have a right to remove posts which include links to my website or youtube.... Or posts where I've bitched about my school. Relax, piano dad.



"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732320 08/13/11 02:01 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,149
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,149
I'm quite relaxed. I doubt I would be affected at all. But my mind often wanders into the realm of general principles. As a general principle, allowing anyone to remove posts long after the fact, and at their own discretion, seems like a bad idea.

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Piano*Dad #1732325 08/13/11 02:10 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 23,003
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 23,003
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
....my mind often wanders into the realm of general principles...

me2 -- and on that level I agree it's very valid.

If it became common, the site could be a mess.

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Piano*Dad #1732326 08/13/11 02:10 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,159
L
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
L
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,159
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
I'm quite relaxed. I doubt I would be affected at all. But my mind often wanders into the realm of general principles. As a general principle, allowing anyone to remove posts long after the fact, and at their own discretion, seems like a bad idea.


Maybe.. but if you've experienced the wrath of the "lurkers" who have nothing but the wrong intentions, you might reconsider your stance.

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732334 08/13/11 02:24 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,883
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,883
It's fairly unlikely to affect pogorelich if her posts remain, but it is her right to do so of that's her decision. I have been a moderator of several forums and there IS an option to delete an account and all posts, but you have to have the administrative privileges to see it, and you have to know how to do it. Trust me, it's there. If Kreisler and BB Player can't see it, I can only assume that they don't have the highest level of access to the forum software - which is sensible because you wouldn't want somebody to have a bad day and delete people in a mind-snap. It may be that only Frank himself has this power and he would be reluctant to apply it. Even with the highest deleting power, not all software forums have the power to delete quotes from the affected member contained in other posters' replies. That might have to be done manually - (an enormous task and really not worth the effort unless there are posts supporting terrorism or something). In the end, forums have become public speaking platforms and you have to stand by what you post. If you don't want to be viewed in a poor way, be careful how you conduct yourself.

I intentionally haven't revealed my identity on PW basically because I am a teacher and it's highly likely that my students would stumble of this forum eventually. I choose to use PW as a place where I can air my thoughts on things - I prefer to do it anonymously because I know that part of my job is to keep a certain amount of professional detachment so that I don't offend my students/families with different backgrounds - and so I can relate stories of experiences I've had without breaching the privacy of others. I'm not really a private person by nature, I just need to walk a fine line for my own business. If I'm talking on the teacher's forum and engaging in debate, I certainly don't want to have my students being aware of all the things I grapple with. I need to keep things simple and streamlined for my studio.

Pogorelich is overstating the danger in this particular situation only because she hasn't been an offensive poster. I have followed her posts for a year now and all of them have been exemplary so there's nothing there to worry about. I would advise her to just take a break because at her age, it's easy to overreact and she may decide at a later date that she wants to come back. It's only the people who behave very extremely or controversially that have anything to worry about with respect to their posting history. Saul would be the perfect example of that. His recent behaviour is so extreme it could easily affect his career at some point.

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732340 08/13/11 02:29 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,149
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,149
Imagine trying to draft a general policy about how to allow people to cancel, change, add, or otherwise alter posts at their own discretion long after the fact. A general principle is one that you would allow everyone to follow, not just some individual asking for dispensation. Giving one person dispensation brings up all sorts of fairness issues and it is NOT general.

I would venture that trying to codify rules that would allow people to go in, after the fact, would be a nightmare. I suspect such a rule would go a long way toward the dissolution of the forum itself. The value of writing depends in part on assurances that the context of the writing (how what you contribute fits into the fabric of the forum) is not changeable at the whims of any individual.

We have certain rules against profanity, and moderators can go in to edit posts for that. They can also edit content a bit using guidelines about spam and vulgarity. But they are very circumspect about changing the content of posts, and for good reason. And that's the moderators. Should every individual be able to be a moderator of their own posts after the fact? I'm dubious.

Maybe someone could give it a try. Write a general rule and see how people here view it. The commentary on such a rule is likely to reveal lots of problematic consequences. Could be fun! smile

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732351 08/13/11 02:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,325
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,325
But if someone is experiencing harassment or threats to their career as a result of what they post here, it's perfectly understandable that the moderators would be kind and delete the posts that can pinpoint their identity. Sometimes exceptions have to be made. Personally, I would never participate in a forum that is related to my career because of this risk. I'm also not very active on facebook but that's mainly because I'm not all that nosy. Facebook is really a site for stalkers. :P

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Frozenicicles #1732374 08/13/11 03:27 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,883
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,883
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
Facebook is really a site for stalkers. :P

Aint that the truth!

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Piano*Dad #1732377 08/13/11 03:31 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,883
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,883
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

I would venture that trying to codify rules that would allow people to go in, after the fact, would be a nightmare. I suspect such a rule would go a long way toward the dissolution of the forum itself.


I agree, and I don't support it either. In fact, making it very hard to remove posts can contribute positively because if you know you can't make outlandish statements and just delete them later, it tends to make people more circumspect in what they say in the first place. People need to be responsible and accountable for their own actions. You can't delete things you say in the real world - why should we make it so easy on a forum?

I don't have a problem with personally identifying information being removed from a post, especially for a young person who may have entered into things inadvisably, but the post should stay.

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Piano*Dad #1732388 08/13/11 04:02 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,728
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,728
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Imagine trying to draft a general policy about how to allow people to cancel, change, add, or otherwise alter posts at their own discretion long after the fact. A general principle is one that you would allow everyone to follow, not just some individual asking for dispensation. Giving one person dispensation brings up all sorts of fairness issues and it is NOT general.

I would venture that trying to codify rules that would allow people to go in, after the fact, would be a nightmare. I suspect such a rule would go a long way toward the dissolution of the forum itself. The value of writing depends in part on assurances that the context of the writing (how what you contribute fits into the fabric of the forum) is not changeable at the whims of any individual.

We have certain rules against profanity, and moderators can go in to edit posts for that. They can also edit content a bit using guidelines about spam and vulgarity. But they are very circumspect about changing the content of posts, and for good reason. And that's the moderators. Should every individual be able to be a moderator of their own posts after the fact? I'm dubious.

Maybe someone could give it a try. Write a general rule and see how people here view it. The commentary on such a rule is likely to reveal lots of problematic consequences. Could be fun! smile


I don't understand why this is such a big deal for you. In other forums I've been to, we've had the power to delete posts even years after posting them. It's not like people often dig up old old threads and read them - they usually look at recent stuff. It's really not a big deal, I don't know why you're making it one.



"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732394 08/13/11 04:10 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,149
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,149
It's not a big deal with me. I'm not bringing it up because I want to fight about it. I bring it up because it's interesting.

If PW wants to switch to a system in which people can adjust everything after the fact, that's worth a discussion. I think such a system would fail, but we can certainly have a conversation about it.

Once again, I'm talking about the general issue, not your specific desires.

Re: OT - accounts and posts
Piano*Dad #1732398 08/13/11 04:18 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,728
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,728
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
It's not a big deal with me. I'm not bringing it up because I want to fight about it. I bring it up because it's interesting.

If PW wants to switch to a system in which people can adjust everything after the fact, that's worth a discussion. I think such a system would fail, but we can certainly have a conversation about it.

Once again, I'm talking about the general issue, not your specific desires.


Every other forum I've seen has had the option of deletion by the author. Also, when members are banned, usually ALL their posts disappear without a trace.



"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Re: OT - accounts and posts
Pogorelich. #1732400 08/13/11 04:21 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 18,356

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 18,356
Back in the old days, before the forum software change, you could go back and edit/delete former posts whenever you wanted. A prominent and valued member of the forum decided to leave (long story, not worth rehashing), and he went back and deleted most of his posts. It made a mess of a lot of threads! So I'm in favor of the new system that puts a time limit, though I wish it were more like 48 hours.

I can sympathize with Pogo's wish to delete post hoc all identifying posts/threads, but I hope she lets her other posts remain. And I hope she continues to keep posting on PW.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
12 year old Yammy glue failure on 60% of the keys
by jkess114 - 11/30/20 12:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,170
Posts3,028,977
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4