2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1731720 08/12/11 12:40 PM
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Is there a way to delete an account AND all its posts?

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
C'mon!! bah

You don't need to do that.... smile

C
C
Don't leave us! frown

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I think the posts will still remain.. the account can be deleted if a request is sent to the admins, I guess. However, do stay if you think you can stay away from the threads that waste your time, precious time that you can spend practicing instead.

For us amateur pianists (or aspiring ones like myself), this is about the only way to be in the company (even if virtual) of other pianists. For professionals, they are surrounded by musicians everywhere and they get to talk about music all the time anyway. So I believe that might be the reason why several professional pianists (like JAP) choose to leave the forum. I don't think its necessarily because the rest of us are stupid and because the discussions here don't make sense because many "professionals" do not take part in these discussions.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
No, time isn't the issue.. I don't come here instead of practicing - that comes first.

Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

Not that I'm aware of.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler

Not that I'm aware of.

Really? There's not even a way to delete them myself?

No, time isn't the issue....

So, what is?

No, you cannot delete your own posts once a certain (short) editing time has passed.

C'mon Pogo.
What's going on? smile

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
No, time isn't the issue....

So, what is?

I don't know, sometimes I say things without thinking and I wouldn't want my career sacrificed because of me saying something I'm not "supposed" to. Plus, I don't need people (like chercherchopin, to use a fresh example) telling me I don't know what I'm talking about and actually making me DOUBT and feel bad about myself - it affects my playing and I don't need any more insecurities right now.

That's basically why =)

GOOD ANSWER.
In my humble opinion. smile

We've been hearing more and more about how what people say on the internet can give them problems in 'real life,' and yes, it's good to be cognizant of that.

But, for what it's worth, again in my very humble opinion smile from what I've seen of your posts, you have nothing at all whatsoever to worry about. Nothing in any of your posts would keep you from being picked for the Supreme Court or being elected president.....or even getting a music faculty position. ha

So, IMO, it's a very valid concern -- but you have no worries. I think anyone who might ever check through your 'posting history' would, if anything, be IMPRESSED, even in many cases by the kinds of things that I think you're afraid might be the opposite. It all adds up to a very impressive young musician -- and person.

I would hate to see you go. frown

But I wouldn't blame you. I've been a member for a LONG time. This is not my first account. When I first got a university teaching position I had many of the same concerns, so I had a friend change my password and not tell me what it was.

I ended up rejoining under the name Kreisler after that and making myself only semi-anonymous. I didn't want it easy for people to figure out who I am, but a little clicking around uncovers my identity. In a way, it actually proved helpful. I've learned a lot about expressing my ideas clearly in writing, about how people outside of academia and the musical establishment view classical music, and I've met some pretty amazing people as well.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Ooooh, Kreisler has a sock! Well, if you ever recovered that password. smile

Originally Posted by Kreisler
I didn't want it easy for people to figure out who I am, but a little clicking around uncovers my identity.

Yeah, like one click! grin

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
IMO, that's the wrong reason to leave the forum.. like I said though, its your choice. Make the decision that you think is the best for you. I know you don't like advice from non-professional musicians very much but if you feel insecure about something, the best approach is to try and think about it more,.. to try and see if you can nail your thoughts about it so that you no longer feel insecure no matter who challenges your ideas about it. When that happens, you might find yourself more open to discussion because you can hold your own since you've thought about it in depth and have *actively* thought about the matter in depth. Running away from questions is not a permanent solution because if you feel insecure just because somebody said something on an "anonymous" online forum, I wonder what real feedback (frequently negative) from real people might do to you.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by liszt85
IMO, that's the wrong reason to leave the forum.. like I said though, its your choice. Make the decision that you think is the best for you. I know you don't like advice from non-professional musicians very much but if you feel insecure about something, the best approach is to try and think about it more,.. to try and see if you can nail your thoughts about it so that you no longer feel insecure no matter who challenges your ideas about it. When that happens, you might find yourself more open to discussion because you can hold your own since you've thought about it in depth and have *actively* thought about the matter in depth. Running away from questions is not a permanent solution because if you feel insecure just because somebody said something on an "anonymous" online forum, I wonder what real feedback (frequently negative) from real people might do to you.

You don't know..... what the last 2 years has done to me - not online, but just from people in real life, musicians. I think if you'd experienced that, you'd be a little vulnerable too. I don't need any additional sources eating up my confidence, even something as small as PW. It is my fault, no worries - I'm having help with it all, and my teacher's guidance will be focused on this too. I'm kind of tired of subconsciously trying to please people all the time, it shows up in my playing too and I especially don't need that. I'm seeing it happen here too, posting things that I try to make "good" and not offensive to people especially outside people lurking, and it ends up only being 90% honest or something. It shouldn't be like that, I wish there was a policy that only active users can read posts, but that's obviously not the case.

Good answer again.

It sounds like leaving might be a good move toward what you're saying. But if so, I'm sure everyone else joins in saying we hope it's just temporary -- and maybe, as time goes on, you might even feel that coming back here now and then might help rather than hurt with what you're trying to do. smile

Doing music seriously (even as an amateur) involves a lot of vulnerability. I've also picked and chosen what I've 'subjected' myself to; some things are worth it and some aren't -- and some are necessary; being here isn't, so it can be dispensable.

I know what you mean, and I imagine just about everyone else does too.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks!

Anyway I have a masterclass and lesson soon, must go practice.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I'm kind of tired of subconsciously trying to please people all the time, it shows up in my playing too and I especially don't need that. I'm seeing it happen here too, posting things that I try to make "good" and not offensive to people especially outside people lurking, and it ends up only being 90% honest or something. It shouldn't be like that, I wish there was a policy that only active users can read posts, but that's obviously not the case.

Yea, I know what you mean. You've been too nice lately. laugh Be ferocious (I mean that in a good way!) like you know you're capable of.. and make the choice of not having to please other people all the time (it really is a matter of choice.. now, it might be a difficult choice to make but then again, not many choices in life are easy). I don't like being 90% honest either.. I think I'm about 99% honest here on PW. The 1% is reserved for the urges I have to call people names when I get real frustrated, which I try to avoid. So that's where I'm "dishonest". laugh

However, I understand from what you just wrote that there have been lurkers reading your posts. I agree completely with you.. only registered and active users should be able to read posts here. I was once active on another forum (not music related). Turned out there was a lurker there who made life difficult for me at work (that person might be lurking here too, but I haven't said anything about work related stuff here, so I've said nothing to offend any of them here). I then quit that forum. So I completely understand if somebody "at work" (= almost any musician, I guess!) has been lurking and knows who you are and could potentially use the content in your posts here to form prejudices, etc.

Last edited by liszt85; 08/12/11 04:06 PM.
i wouldn't leave.. nothing wrong with taking a break.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission