2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Hey guys,

I've recently decided I want to get in better shape, for a variety of reasons. Cardio is great, and I'm running or swimming daily. However, I'm aware that cardio alone is not really a full workout-you have to do *some* strength training, too.

Thing is, as a professional pianist, I'm worried about damaging the small muscles in my hands from gripping heavy dumbbells or free weights on a regular basis. Is this a valid concern, or is it not really something that could happen? If it is a valid concern, what do you guys suggest someone like me do for strength training?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CleverName
....I'm worried about damaging the small muscles in my hands from gripping heavy dumbbells or free weights on a regular basis. Is this a valid concern....

I sure think so. For me it would be. Even just batting in baseball is a possible issue for that.

.....If it is a valid concern, what do you guys suggest someone like me do for strength training?

Anything where you could go gentler on the hands, if there be any such. smile
I'm not sure there is, other than the swimming which you're already doing.

If there isn't, then you do what you feel you need to do, but realize you might be sacrificing some piano stuff.

BTW, sounds like you're doing great with the conditioning, at least by any usual standards....

S
S
I used to work out, lifting weights, running and the like. One of my school's phys. ed. teachers happens to be a personal trainer for Olympian athletes, and she suggests only doing four full work-outs maximum per week (though cardio can be daily), alternating days so you only do strength training every second day to allow your muscles to regenerate properly. If you do that, you shouldn't have a problem unless you go playing a Prokofiev concerto after working out.

Last edited by Steve712; 08/11/11 02:06 PM.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I don't work out but I try to stay in shape by running, hiking, swimming, skiing, etc... It provides a nice balance with playing piano and schoolwork.

I have lifted weights ever since a teenager... so over 30 years? I do cardio as well. So, no problem if you want to do some weight training. Just make sure your grip is correct, not too tight, and always protective gloves especially the one with wrist wrap as it helps to protect your wrists. (Btw, how heavy are you thinking??) Lastly, always lift with a clear mind and with caution. Have fun!

JN
I haven't had any trouble with light strength training. Just make sure your form is solid. Just like piano practice, any fitness regimen is made more effective by good form and can be rendered harmful by bad form.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
M
What about resistance bands or just working light weights isometrically (tightening the muscle you want to workout as much as you can through the whole rep). You'll get a great workout but not risk damage from heavy weights. Be sure to focus just on the muscle you're trying to work out so you're not accidentally overdoing your grip.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I weight train regularly. Never had a problem. Although I like freeweights better because they engage smaller muscle groups for control and balance, machines are probably safer. I am certain that being physically fit can have many benefits to the pianist from better posture, muscle tone, reflexes, stress reduction, even better sleep that will help with a clear mind.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I have used both cardiovascular and weight training for decades, now and I concur with some of the previous comments :
- it is not necessary to lift heavy weights to get a good workout; training with lighter weights can be just as effective as with heavy weights - unless you are in bodybuilding competitions - by doing reps very, very slowly so that the resistance to the weights lasts longer
- good form is essential to avoiding injury
- weight-lifting gloves with wristbands are helpful - but not idiot-proof - in avoiding possible wrist injuries
- weight training machines can provide less risk from injury than free weights, although I like and use both
- avoid high-impact activities

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I agree with Kreisler's earlier post.
Be careful about form and also weights that may be too heavy. I was afraid I was developing a slight hunch on my back and found a trainer that incorporated Feldenkrais method, stretching, and Yoga. I found stretching exercises and Yoga to be very beneficial and gained quite a bit of muscle tone and strength. Good luck.

Online Content
I don't have to do any weight training. All I do is open and close the lid on my Mason BB once a day and have developed 18" biceps.
Adding them together

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/11/11 04:21 PM.
T
T
I have read much on this in other forums and the general consensus seems to be to keep things light, although I remember some chap argued very well to avoid weights completely.

Now that my knackered body will no longer take the punishment it used to in the gym and I want to maximise my piano potential, I have developed a few personal rules:

1. No powerlifting
2. No sets under 8 reps.
3. No super sets.
4. No pinch gripping.
5. No reverse bicep curls.
6. No getting involved in stupid armwrestling challenges.

Thal

I'm inclined to agree with Thal
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I went to college with Leon Bates, a concert pianist, who is a body builder. It didn't seem to hurt him at all.

I think common sense should prevail.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I like to go for a walk in nature. Otherwise - no sports at all.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
just back from a trip to france where i cycled up (and down) the famous alpe d'huez & mont ventoux (among other cols). personally, rigorous exercise compliments the study of music perfectly, and it doesn't matter what form of exercise it is, so long as you approach it consciously.

used to weight lift and run every day until i turned 28. Now stress coffee and lack of sleep keeps me slim. I have been healthier. I eat well , don't really drink but I feel just slimy. I went 3 days without showering the other day. 19 hours of composition, about 7 coffees. I do moisturize my face and body and drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits.

When i was orchestrating, I was on adderral up for 3 days barely meeting the deadline. Now that was just disgusting. Felt like a zombie.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BadOrange
[...]I went 3 days without showering the other day. [...]

Now there's a real time-bending trick if you can do it!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

Cheers!

You are too good, Bruce! smile

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
My teacher has told me that weight training is excellent for developing good posture and giving more back mass for more round, heavy sounds

Working On-

Deux Arabesques, Debussy

On Queue-

Danse Russe from Petroushka, Stravinsky
Toccata, Ravel

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

Cheers!

Maybe he meant on Jupiter (where one day is 9.84 Earth hours), so actually almost three days. wink

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission