2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Here's a screenshot of a triplets exercise I do everyday:

[Linked Image]

A new one is generated each time and the computer makes sure that my rhythm is correct. I find that though triplets occur every now and then, they don't occur often enough in music sheets to get direct practice with them without creating an exercise soley devoted to them. Here you can tell, I'm focusing on triplets everywhere combined with other note values. I just want to know your opinions on this exercise that I came up with. Of course, the random notes don't form any music, but I'm not bothered by that.

Note: My goal is to improve my sightreading.

Last edited by MathTeacher; 08/11/11 12:44 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Holy crapolo -- exercise? ha

To me that's way too hard to call an exercise. IMO it's an exercise in the same respect that Chopin etudes make us "develop" our technique. smile

Looks to me like something that can be an 'exercise' only if you already have a tremendous ability to do stuff like that, in which case I would think you don't need an exercise.. I'm pretty good with that kind of stuff but wouldn't be able to just sit down and play it. I'd have to work on it, and pretty hard.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Holy crapolo -- exercise? ha

To me that's way too hard to call an exercise. IMO it's an exercise in the same respect that Chopin etudes make us "develop" our technique. smile

Looks to me like something that can be an 'exercise' only if you already have a tremendous ability to do stuff like that, in which case I would think you don't need an exercise.. I'm pretty good with that kind of stuff but wouldn't be able to just sit down and play it. I'd have to work on it, and pretty hard.

Well, I made the pitches very simple. The notes don't differ by more than a 2nd interval in most places. So your hand hardly has to move even. The tempo can be lowered to whatever you want (I set 40 bpm to be normal for this exercise). It's only the rhythm that is being being emphasized, and the computer makes sure you get it right else it will kind of zap at you.

Last edited by MathTeacher; 08/11/11 12:16 PM.
Those things you mentioned are beside the point. Rhythm is all I was talking about, and computer or no computer, IMO it's like I said. But let's see what others think.....

S
S
If you can do that fluently, why are you still doing triplet excercises rather than repertoire?

Originally Posted by Steve712
If you can do that fluently, why are you still doing triplet exercises rather than repertoire?

+1

Seems like way overdoing.

M
OP Offline
M
If you can do that fluently, why are you still doing triplet excercises rather than repertoire?

I never said I can do it fluently, at least not the first time around. That is what I consider to be my problem, since I'm focused on being an excellent sightreader. I'm trying develop the ability to get it correct the first time around. That's why new ones are generated each time.

Last edited by MathTeacher; 08/11/11 12:40 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I can understand if MathTeacher plays in a contemporary band or something that requires him to sightread odd rhythms frequently. If the goal is to perform from memorized/learned repertoire, then this is way overdoing it.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
If the goal is to perform from memorized/learned repertoire, then this is way overdoing it.

That's something I don't want to do. Only sight-reading, and hence this exercise. So basically I'm asking: do you consider this a good exercise for those who want to improve their sightreading?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by MathTeacher
If the goal is to perform from memorized/learned repertoire, then this is way overdoing it.

That's something I don't want to do. Only sight-reading, and hence this exercise. So basically I'm asking: do you consider this a good exercise for those who want to improve their sightreading?

Probably not as much as you'd like, because you rarely see these kind of passages in real music.

Originally Posted by Lingyis
Probably not as much as you'd like, because you rarely see these kind of passages in real music.

I agree. It's a poor investment of time and effort. There are far better ways to spend it -- like just sight reading pieces, or playing them, or working on them. Or listening to music. Or reading about it.

Or posting here. grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

No, you see these kind of rhythms more frequently in contemporary music. Not so much in tonal classical music. When you're sight reading and you can't figure it out, just simplify it on the spot so the general beat is still right and move on.

....When you're sight reading and you can't figure it out, just simplify it on the spot so the general beat is still right and move on.

Great advice. It's important not to be too obsessive about getting everything exactly right when sight reading. The flow is more important. Especially since one of the reasons to be good at sight reading is to be able to accompany and to play chamber music, and when we're doing that, they could care less about whether we're getting all the details exactly right.

It's good if you want to sightread contemporary music that uses these kinds of rhythms often. Carter, Adler, Sessions, Kirchner, etc...

If you're wanting to be able to sight-read music written before 1940, then you're not going to see those rhythms very often, so it won't be as helpful. Before that time, these rhythms were occasionally used, but not in such a randomly mixed fashion. The exercise you've created may be good, but it's very specific. It's a little like studying vocabulary by focusing on 2 and 3-letter words that contain X, Z, V, J, and Q. VERY helpful if you're playing Scrabble, but not if you're wanting to read Eco.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
M
It's interesting because you called it a triplets exercise and said that you don't encounter them enough in repertoire to get practice doing them in combination with other rhythms. Hence the assumption that it was an exercise to help you with playing triplets.

Since you're trying to get better at sightreading, however, I don't necessarily know if this is the best way to go about it. You'd probably be better off sightreading and learning lots of pieces. You basically have to encounter enough patterns and variations on that pattern in repertoire to get an idea of what's going on at sight.

There are plenty of pieces at various levels that highlight playing triplets as well as playing them in conjunction with other rhythms that you may want to look into. Again, I think that is much more effective than sightreading something computer-generated where you can't possibly make use of the patterns that occur in music to aid you (which is a necessary component of sight reading).

Last edited by Morodiene; 08/11/11 03:22 PM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene
It's interesting because you called it a triplets exercise and said that you don't encounter them enough in repertoire to get practice doing them in combination with other rhythms. Hence the assumption that it was an exercise to help you with playing triplets.

Since you're trying to get better at sightreading, however, I don't necessarily know if this is the best way to go about it. You'd probably be better off sightreading and learning lots of pieces. You basically have to encounter enough patterns and variations on that pattern in repertoire to get an idea of what's going on at sight.

There are plenty of pieces at various levels that highlight playing triplets as well as playing them in conjunction with other rhythms that you may want to look into. Again, I think that is much more effective than sightreading something computer-generated where you can't possibly make use of the patterns that occur in music to aid you (which is a necessary component of sight reading).

I know that there are pieces to practice with that has many triplets, but sometimes when I sightread I encounter a triplet bugaboo that I only see once every 2 years (or never seen before at all). If I can practice every combination directly and regularly, then I figure that at those rare times I actually see them on a score I will no longer mess up.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I don't find an exercise such as this useful for developing sight-reading skills in standard repertoire nor in developing polyrhythms involving triplets. Rarely does one come across music - except in very contemporary compositions - where the rhythmic patterns are constantly changing as they do in this exercise. I would find it much more helpful to use exercises that, individually, concentrate on one combination of rhythmic patterns rather than on constantly changing patterns.

That said, I am sure that, on a certain level, this type of exercise would work, but it also seems to me to require the type of mental gymnastics (constant shifting of rhythmic patterns so that there is no pattern) that doesn't allow one to concentrate on one pattern and get it right before going on to the next.

Exercises are most effective, as you well know, when they repeat patterns or allow us to repeat consistent patterns long enough for those pattern(s) to settle into the brain and fingers. It seems to me that these constantly changing patterns constitute not exercises but rhythmic challenges to be solved, challenges that rarely appear in all but contemporary music.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by BruceD
I don't find an exercise such as this useful for developing sight-reading skills in standard repertoire nor in developing polyrhythms involving triplets. Rarely does one come across music - except in very contemporary compositions - where the rhythmic patterns are constantly changing as they do in this exercise. I would find it much more helpful to use exercises that, individually, concentrate on one combination of rhythmic patterns rather than on constantly changing patterns.

That said, I am sure that, on a certain level, this type of exercise would work, but it also seems to me to require the type of mental gymnastics (constant shifting of rhythmic patterns so that there is no pattern) that doesn't allow one to concentrate on one pattern and get it right before going on to the next.
Exercises are most effective, as you well know, when they repeat patterns or allow us to repeat consistent patterns long enough for those pattern(s) to settle into the brain and fingers. It seems to me that these constantly changing patterns constitute not exercises but rhythmic challenges to be solved, challenges that rarely appear in all but contemporary music.

Regards,

Hmmm... Good point. Maybe I should generate these exercises in categories with similar patterns rather than putting all the different types of patterns in each exercise. I think I will adjust the code for that.

Last edited by MathTeacher; 08/11/11 04:05 PM.
S
S
Why don't you just sight read repertoire and, when you reach a challenging part, work it out until you can play it fluently?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Why don't you just sight read repertoire and, when you reach a challenging part, work it out until you can play it fluently?

That makes a lot of sense!

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission