2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

It is extremely rare that I've discovered an outright error in how I play a piece by hearing someone else play it correctly. So rare that I can't even remember a specific example of it happening, although I have some dim recollection that it did once or twice, years ago.

It will surprise you, I am guessing, that it also is not really all that frequent that I will hear a performance where I think the interpretation is superior to mine. It may be different, yes, but not necessarily better. What is almost always better is their technique - they play the piano far better than I do - but I don't confuse that with interpretation.

You may have different standard than most people here then. If, for example, you can play a Chopin etude only at 120, yet the standard is 150. Most people will not satisfy till they get close to the normal speed of 150. In your case, however, you will accept that 120 is your interpretation for the piece and you like it for whatever reason. If it is your standard, I do totally agree that you will have hard time to find any of your interpretation is not acceptable or bother you. I think it is good to have an accepting attitude like yours. There is no need to compare to any other performance.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by wr
Of those, the Clementi is the only thing I've ever heard anyone else play, and that was just one time, well over 40 years ago. And, interestingly, while I don't remember a lot of detail about that performance of the Clementi, what I do remember has been something of an annoyance while I've been working on the piece - I have had to consciously make the effort to avoid trying to play those bits as I remember them, even though the memory is of someone else's interpretation.

WR - You have a truly exceptional long term memory !!! I'm impressed !! smile

Don't be too impressed - you'd probably be more amazed at the vast amounts of stuff I can't remember that most people seem to. smile But I do have a few scattered but fairly vivid musical memories from early years - most musicians have that experience, don't they? For example, from around the same time as that Clementi memory, I can remember bits and pieces from some of Bernstein's Young People's Concerts on television (these days, it is hard to imagine that those programs even existed, much less on prime time network television).

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by wr
It is extremely rare that I've discovered an outright error in how I play a piece by hearing someone else play it correctly. So rare that I can't even remember a specific example of it happening, although I have some dim recollection that it did once or twice, years ago.
I'm not just talking about a misread note, although I think it would be incredibly rare for someone not to misread a note, a rest, or anything else marked in the score over many years.

I'm talking about a musical error as in a wrong musical decision. I've seen around 150 master classes at Mannes over a long period. The students are usually from top conservatories yet much of what the teachers point out to them are what I would call musical errors. By this I mean musical decisions they've made (consciously or not) that are basically wrong(the teachers almost always give compelling reasons for what they tell the student).

So unless you are a professional pianist at a level far beyond these students I think you're fooling yourself if you think you haven't made these kinds of errors...the very type of thing one might learn from listening to a great pianist's performance.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/06/11 07:03 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by wr
It will surprise you, I am guessing, that it also is not really all that frequent that I will hear a performance where I think the interpretation is superior to mine. It may be different, yes, but not necessarily better. What is almost always better is their technique - they play the piano far better than I do - but I don't confuse that with interpretation.
The great pianists were virtually all great in terms of technique and musical understanding. Are you saying your musicianship is on a par with those pianists and it's only your technique that makes your playing of a lesser quality compared to them? Your musical understanding is so high you have nothing to learn from them?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/06/11 07:10 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by wr
Of those, the Clementi is the only thing I've ever heard anyone else play, and that was just one time, well over 40 years ago. And, interestingly, while I don't remember a lot of detail about that performance of the Clementi, what I do remember has been something of an annoyance while I've been working on the piece - I have had to consciously make the effort to avoid trying to play those bits as I remember them, even though the memory is of someone else's interpretation.

WR - You have a truly exceptional long term memory !!! I'm impressed !! smile

Don't be too impressed - you'd probably be more amazed at the vast amounts of stuff I can't remember that most people seem to. smile But I do have a few scattered but fairly vivid musical memories from early years - most musicians have that experience, don't they? For example, from around the same time as that Clementi memory, I can remember bits and pieces from some of Bernstein's Young People's Concerts on television (these days, it is hard to imagine that those programs even existed, much less on prime time network television).

...and in black and white !!!!!

Last edited by carey; 08/06/11 07:10 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by wr
I'm not just talking about a misread note, although I think it would be incredibly rare for someone not to misread a note, a rest, or anything else marked in the score over many years.

I'm talking about a musical error as in a wrong musical decision. I've seen around 150 master classes at Mannes over a long period. The students are usually from top conservatories yet much of what the teachers point out to them are what I would call musical errors. By this I mean musical decisions they've made (consciously or not) that are basically wrong(the teachers almost always give compelling reasons for what they tell the student).

So unless you are a professional pianist at a level far beyond these students I think you're fooling yourself if you think you haven't made these kinds of errors...the very type of thing one might learn from listening to a great pianist's performance.

Yup, I knew you were heading towards this axe you are always grinding. I'm not interested in it.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
[...]
How do you know how to play certain pieces just purely by looking at the score?
Let's use Mozart Sonata and Beethoven's. They look the same on paper, but due to our knowledge about the two so that we play them differently even though they look the same on paper. How will you know this thing without listening to some samples first?

Any pianist advanced enough to play Mozart and Beethoven Sonatas should be able, at a glance, to tell the very distinct differences between the two "on paper." Anyone who thinks they look the same doesn't know much about either style, it would seem to me.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr
The great pianists were virtually all great in terms of technique and musical understanding. Are you saying your musicianship is on a par with those pianists and it's only your technique that makes your playing of a lesser quality compared to them? Your musical understanding is so high you have nothing to learn from them?

Scandalous, isn't it, that a wretched amateur with feeble technique could imagine having decent musicianship...

Online Content
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

Scandalous, isn't it, that a wretched amateur with feeble technique could imagine having decent musicianship...
"Decent" is not how I would describe the musicianship of the great pianists or even first year conservatory students.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I listen..especially if it is a challenging composition. Not from the beginning, but after I have worked on a piece to some extent.. I listen to how, say, Richter voices his chords, builds the overall architecture of the piece, where he breathes.. I learn tons. It is humbling and I (think) I may be a better musician, or at least a better listener for it. I don't do this regularly. I also do not make a conscious effort to mimick (not that I could sound like Richter if I wanted to). I agree that subconsciously I may be copying something I heard. But with some self-discipline, the listening ends up heightening my awareness of the intricacies of the piece.
I also listen if I am working on a challenging duet, often because I am too lazy or do not have enough time to learn the other part..
Teacher does not like it, out of principle.. But he does not hesitate to tell me how he thinks it should sound, one way or another.. smile

BTW, van CLiburn recently discussed how he listens to several versions of a concerto he is working on during an interview at the recent Tchaikovsky competition.. It may even be online still.
We are so immersed in music thanks to digital media that it is hard to imagine that a musicophile has not listened (repeatedly) to mainstream repertoire.. I think the point is a bit moot.. unless one is listening to see "how the notes go" because of a deficient technique/fundamentals.. Then they would have no business working on a piece that is good enough to have been recorded by someone..

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

You may have different standard than most people here then. If, for example, you can play a Chopin etude only at 120, yet the standard is 150. Most people will not satisfy till they get close to the normal speed of 150. In your case, however, you will accept that 120 is your interpretation for the piece and you like it for whatever reason. If it is your standard, I do totally agree that you will have hard time to find any of your interpretation is not acceptable or bother you. I think it is good to have an accepting attitude like yours. There is no need to compare to any other performance.

I think you may be projecting something onto what I wrote that isn't really what I am talking about. Although finding an appropriate tempo is very important, getting a piece up to some speed that's in the range of most professional performances is not usually a big part of what I think of as "interpretation". That is more of a technical issue (I know, this may sound contradictory, but it really isn't).

But, on the other hand, if I think a fast piece must be up to a certain speed in order to sound right, I will get it up into that range before I think I can really play it properly. There was a little discussion about this here a few months back, in regard to Weber's Perpetual Motion, which is one of those pieces I think really must go pretty fast or else is just not right (Mark C. thought sheer speed was less important than I did).

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by wr
For example, from around the same time as that Clementi memory, I can remember bits and pieces from some of Bernstein's Young People's Concerts on television
Oh, me too! smile

Du holde Kunst...
.....I saw you listening to other contestants in the competitions.

Dear pal Ronald,
If you think that has even the tiniest relevance to the subject at hand, you misunderstand it.

Originally Posted by music32
I wrote about this, and still feel the same at this point.

http://arioso7.wordpress.com/2011/0...ieces-they-are-first-beginning-to-learn/

Yup -- that's exactly what we mean too. thumb

I didn't think it was that subtle, but I guess it is. We're seeing stuff like, "Wouldn't you be able to weigh it and decide," and "How can you say that you can't learn from other people's performances," and "But I saw you listening to people play" -- none of which have much to do with what we're talking about, and some of which have nothing to do with it.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Teacher does not like it, out of principle.. But he does not hesitate to tell me how he thinks it should sound, one way or another.. smile
By mentioning this with the smiley I guess you see the obvious contradiction.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/07/11 11:57 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
By mentioning this with the smiley I guess you see the obvious contradiction.

Exactly.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

Can you give me one specific example? What musical errors? What happens in masterclasses, more often than not, teachers will present suggestions (and suggestions only) related to the work. Most times it's related to how THEY view and play the piece and has nothing to do with it being "right" or "wrong"...... With stuff like that, there a thousand ways to do something. The question is finding what works for you, and of course staying true to the score (depending on the work). Students need to learn how to think for themselves, to be able to make musical desicions (even if they're blatantly "wrong") and have reasons for them, rather than being spoonfed by recordings. It's much more difficult but it builds you as a musician. Interpreting something isn't a piece of cake, it can be mentally exhausting, but yeah, why not turn that recording and copy what they do....

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
But, since you brought the clone thing up - I have heard more than one pianist in competitions (or in post-competition concerts) who obviously have no ideas of their own about the music they play (or are afraid to share them). They just present their impressions of how "great" pianists have played the same music, i.e., they are attempting to clone other performances. It's not only sad, it can be downright weird that people with incredible technique seem to lack any personal view of the music they are playing. I remember in particular one pianist in a competition who "cloned" from more than one recording of a piece, and you could actually hear them shift from one to another during the course of a single piece.

My god, I know exactly what you're talking about... I have a similar story, and whenever I tell it no one believes me (until those with good ears hear it)

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by wr
But, since you brought the clone thing up - I have heard more than one pianist in competitions (or in post-competition concerts) who obviously have no ideas of their own about the music they play (or are afraid to share them). They just present their impressions of how "great" pianists have played the same music, i.e., they are attempting to clone other performances. It's not only sad, it can be downright weird that people with incredible technique seem to lack any personal view of the music they are playing. I remember in particular one pianist in a competition who "cloned" from more than one recording of a piece, and you could actually hear them shift from one to another during the course of a single piece.

My god, I know exactly what you're talking about... I have a similar story, and whenever I tell it no one believes me (until those with good ears hear it)

Since you and WR have such great ears (and memories to know whom they were copying), you should probably never listen to another recording....ever! And don't learn anything you've already heard.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by wr

Since you and WR have such great ears (and memories to know whom they were copying), you should probably never listen to another recording....ever! And don't learn anything you've already heard.

HHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

you're missing the point.. sorry

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission