2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 65 of 119 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 118 119
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Nefeli I'd rate as easier than Nuvole Bianche. There's a tricky stretch of about 4 measures on Nefeli that require painful and repeated slow practice, hands separate and then together, but once you get those down, the rest of the piece is no big deal. Nuvole Bianche has a more challenging left hand and tempo and voicing issues.

(emphasis added)

First of all, the video at the end of the post turned me on to Nuvole Bianche. (it's only the first half of the piece)

I've been rather obsessed by this piece for the past two days, and think I'll be able to manage it eventually. But it's nowhere as difficult as Nefeli to me (and I understand we're all wired differently smile ).

This is the thing that is perplexing me about Nuvole Bianche tonight:

That tough left hand highlighted in the above quote from Monica is indeed a little challenging because most of it is 4 note arpeggios. I finally delved into the second half tonight (basically a repeat) but there are only 3 note arpeggios for the left hand in the second half according to the score I have.

I was a little relieved to discover this, but why in the heck would Einaudi do this?

Should I just play the first section with 3 note arpeggios and make life easier for myself?

Or should I only practice the 4 note arpeggios and carry them over to the second half to add the flavor they bring?

Or should I learn both the 4 and 3 note arpeggios for the left hand and play it properly, as Einaudi imagined it?

Decisions. crazy

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by BenPiano
This is the thing that is perplexing me about Nuvole Bianche tonight:

That tough left hand highlighted in the above quote from Monica is indeed a little challenging because most of it is 4 note arpeggios. I finally delved into the second half tonight (basically a repeat) but there are only 3 note arpeggios for the left hand in the second half according to the score I have.

I was a little relieved to discover this, but why in the heck would Einaudi do this?

You know, BenPiano, I shared your perplexion (if that's not a word, it should be) on this issue. Why have the two different left hands? And, why, if you're going to make it different, would you have the most complex version come first? It sort of violates my intuitive notion of how a piece of music proceeds.

I never really had any brilliant insights on the issue, other than to conclude that Einaudi probably did it that way for a reason, and who am I to argue with how he does it?

My advice would be to put in a good faith effort on learning the more difficult section. But if it really is beyond you at this point, and it's the only thing holding you back from playing the piece, I'd urge you to go ahead and just adopt the 3-note arpeggios throughout. That part of the melody is so engrossing that I can hardly hear the difference in the bass.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You know, BenPiano, I shared your perplexion (if that's not a word, it should be) on this issue. Why have the two different left hands? And, why, if you're going to make it different, would you have the most complex version come first? It sort of violates my intuitive notion of how a piece of music proceeds.

I never really had any brilliant insights on the issue, other than to conclude that Einaudi probably did it that way for a reason, and who am I to argue with how he does it?

My advice would be to put in a good faith effort on learning the more difficult section. But if it really is beyond you at this point, and it's the only thing holding you back from playing the piece, I'd urge you to go ahead and just adopt the 3-note arpeggios throughout. That part of the melody is so engrossing that I can hardly hear the difference in the bass.

Hi Monica, and thanks for the reply. Looking at it again today, I think it might have something to do with bringing in the minor-ness (more questionable word smithing smile ) of the key it's in then making it more ambiguous for the second half without the thirds. (more undefined, yet more complex musically, perhaps? wink )

Secretly, I like to think that Einaudi had trouble recording this and made it easy for himself for the second half after finally getting thru the first section without any red dot flubs. grin

The piece is coming along swimmingly, and I've dedicated some serious time on it over the past few days (at the detriment of my other stuff). It should be ready for the May recital. May 2012, that is. laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just a heads up that Ludovico's coming back to San Francisco in November for one night! Not sure yet if it will be just him or him + strings but I just got my tickets smile thumb

Ludovico Einaudi Nov 7th San Francisco

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Have fun again TTigg.

I'll just have to hope that Ludovico stops somewhere in the midwest again. I'll take Milwaukee again or even as far as Chicago. I'm afraid San Fran is right out unless someone feels like getting me a birthday present! wink

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AnthonyB
Have fun again TTigg.

I'll just have to hope that Ludovico stops somewhere in the midwest again. I'll take Milwaukee again or even as far as Chicago. I'm afraid San Fran is right out unless someone feels like getting me a birthday present! wink

Thanks Anthony!!
Yeah hoping too. I just hope he doesn't switch his angle of the piano since I'm on the other side of the room this time (lol)
- SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
TTigg #1693435 06/10/11 09:00 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Tickets arrived yesterday thumb

[Linked Image]

Now I just have to hope he keep the piano in the same position (lol). Last time we were on the opposite boxes on the other side. Either way, still a great view in such a lovely theatre.

Island (his new release) is a mix of old & new so this should be quite the concert indeed!
- Steve

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net

Okay, the "Islands" album has been released overseas, and some enterprising fan has uploaded it onto YouTube, so those of us stuck in the backwards states can hear the two new tracks ("The Earth Prelude" and "High Heels") on YouTube while waiting impatiently for the album to make it over here.

http://youtu.be/5AovNqx-czI

http://youtu.be/yMXg3maUDCQ

...and musicroom.com has released the sheet music collection for the Islands album, which now leaves me grappling with the dilemma of whether I buy it just for the two new pieces.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

...and musicroom.com has released the sheet music collection for the Islands album, which now leaves me grappling with the dilemma of whether I buy it just for the two new pieces.

Yes I know what you mean.
That is why I love it when composers allow you do pay for and download the sheet music for individual songs from their website (eg. David Nevue).
In this case Einaudi is losing out on the sale of a few pieces because I probably will not buy a whole book.
I've passed on many other composer's books as well because I was only interested in a piece or two.
Bummer.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Okay, the "Islands" album has been released overseas, and some enterprising fan has uploaded it onto YouTube, so those of us stuck in the backwards states can hear the two new tracks ("The Earth Prelude" and "High Heels") on YouTube while waiting impatiently for the album to make it over here.

http://youtu.be/5AovNqx-czI

http://youtu.be/yMXg3maUDCQ

Hmmm tough decision indeed, I know we do "love" our Einaudi sheet music collection(s).. smile
- SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
G
G
In Islands there are for the first time the sheet music of "Love is a mistery" and "Fairytale" also!

Well, that clinches it for me, then. I'd buy the book to get four new pieces. smile

Einaudi recently uploaded a YouTube video showing clips from an amazing "secret" concert he played in the Old Vic Tunnels underloo the Waterloo Station in London. Can you imagine stumbling upon that?!?!? And they trucked a grand piano down there somehow, too.

The YouTube clip just plays a mishmash of short clips from each piece, but there's a link that allows you to sign up for the full download of the concert. I'm intrigued because in one of the clips a vocalist is singing along (I think to "Nuvole Bianche"). I'd love to find a translation of the lyrics.

I'm still waiting on delivery of my Islands CD. AnthonyB ordered his from amazon.uk and got it days ago, whereas U.S. amazon keeps changing its story on when I'll get mine; now they're saying 4-5 weeks. bah

[video:youtube]jft2e5AiVog[/video]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just found out I'm going to have to miss the San Francisco convert due to wifey's job changing her schedule frown Secondary at leat we're going to see him in Santa Barbara instead but it won't quite be the same.

If anyone is intersted in the box seat tickets (pictures on on this page) let me know - will be looking to get $100 (cost $110)

Thanks thumb
Steve

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net

[Gets out google maps, realizes that she can't make it back from SF to LEX in time for the next day's 9:30 am lecture.]

Dang!

Sorry you have to miss it, TTigg. Any chance that you could take somebody other than your wife? or go alone?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[Gets out google maps, realizes that she can't make it back from SF to LEX in time for the next day's 9:30 am lecture.]

Dang!

Sorry you have to miss it, TTigg. Any chance that you could take somebody other than your wife? or go alone?

Hi Monica!
Yeah I was going to do that but since we didn't want to miss it wifey got us tickets to the Santa Barbara show the week before. So we're still going to see the "Islands" tour but just not in the same great venue.. thumb
- Steve

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
P
P
Nuvole Bianche is my favorite piece from him look it up on youtube. I first heard it used in a photographers video of our milkyway. Very inspiring and not too difficult to play. At least not the intro.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hmm got my Islands CD (wifey got it for me) BUT there are only 14 tracks on it (not 22) and none of them are the new ones cursing I thought we were supposed to get High Heels & the other ones?

Disappointing.. frown

Apparently this is the double CD with the extra / additional tracks on it!

Double CD with new & bonus tracks

Last edited by TTigg; 08/04/11 01:10 PM.

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net

Just came across this YouTube video through my subscription updates. I'm guessing NOBODY here could've predicted this--it's a live recording of Einaudi covering, of all things, Bruno Mars's "Grenade." eek

[video:youtube]ENd3tK5dAMI[/video]

I wasn't familiar with the original (I don't keep up with pop music), but I like Einaudi's version. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
it's a live recording of Einaudi covering, of all things, Bruno Mars's "Grenade." eek

my kids love grenade (influenced by older cousins), and I dig Einaudi, so I looks like Ill be learning this one shortly.

Page 65 of 119 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 118 119

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission