2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I know this isn't the right place to ask this, (I have posted the same on the digital piano forum, but the posting rate on there looks slow compared to ABF - which I dont normally venture out from)

I've aquired a USB to Midi Keyboard PC Convertcable cable (it installed on my laptop as VIEWCOM (I'm running Win7))

I have a Casio CTK 591

Can anyone advice me as to what software I need to record from the keyboard, I haven't got a clue! Is there any simple software for stupid people? Free? (lol am I taking the p*ss)

I hope someone can help,

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Wayne,

I'm confident that mahlzeit's website has all the info you need:

http://www.pianoclues.com/

Good luck!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
will take a look now Monica, thank you smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Audacity, is free, very easy to use, and does a few things.
Or to be really fancy,
Bit torrent Ableton and or reason, then you can really go to town as you have a virtual studio on laptop.
Ableton has a much better sequencer than reason.

you can use all the devices in ableton from reason if you use the rewire function.

Laptop needs a duel core processor to run ableton ...

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Actually Wayne, I have these progs on disc, real cost in the shops about £400 for reason and the same for ableton.

can burn you a naughty copy if your laptop is up to spec...

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
+1 for Audacity

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Rossy, you really are a pal smile

I installed audacity, but I looked at it and was intimidated lol (all those buttons ha ha), I could only see recording options for using jack plugs in the audio in, rather than the usb to midi cable that I got. (or have I got that completely wrong)

Are the ones you recommend able to record via one of these cables?

I then tried the simpler "Red dot forever" (I'm not very impressed - it's a good job that I know the recording I did, DID NOT sound anything like what "Red dot forever" played back)

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 08/03/11 02:50 PM. Reason: typos
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
oh and Rossy, I'm lucky enough to have a dual core lappy with win 7 smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hope we're not talking about software piracy on the forum.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
No packa, I will be sending Rostosky £400, we are in the middle of PM(ing) each other now!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wayne, you can go direct into audacity from a phono jack output on your DP to the phono/mic input onyour laptop.

But as you got a Midi to USB, then this will be absolutely sound for Reason.
(I set up this way) Once in Reason, you have access to many synths, both anologue and otherwise, a thousand and one million effects, in fact if you can dream of a sound, Reason can usually provide it...check youtube for demos etc...

It is massive, like really massive.

You can multi track, there are drum machines, loop machines, and a vocoder, etc etc etc...

Pm me .......

A
A
The problem is that Reason is way too complex if Audacity is too complex.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Artur Gajewski
The problem is that Reason is way too complex if Audacity is too complex.

I'm just so impatient, and wanted to record something off the keyboard to my laptop, using the lead mentioned in th OT, RIGHT NOW!

I'm sure I'll figure "Reason" out smile

P
P
Hi there. Congrats on your converter to connect to your laptop! Let the world of VST's and Virtual Studios open up for you1 I currently have a dual core Windows 7 laptop as well that I use to play my piano's through. One is a pure MIDI controller and the other is a Digital Piano that is full weight 88 key keyboard that also can act as a MIDI controller. The programs that I use to record any of my songs is Sonar 7 Producer aka cakewalk. The learning curve can be steep at times but once you learn how to properly route VST's to your MIDI controller and play it back on your laptop to record its quite amazing. I recommend downloading ASIO4ALL. Its a free driver that installs and ASIO audio driver to your current system allowing lower latency. I use it all the time and It has performed wonderfully for me. No latency between pressing a key and hearing the virtual sound is key. I use a MIDI to USB adapter on my system to record the main Piano that I have and the other one is just USB connected only. Once you set up Sonar or another DAW(Digital Audio Workstation) like Ableton Live recording is generally a cinch. Most DAW's require you to "arm" the track for recording and then physically hitting the record button. After you have learned how to record from a specific DAW you can then export song into a plethora of formats such as wav, mp3, etc. If you do go the route of Sonar I advise for Mp3's to not buy there encoder but to download a free one required by Audacity called Lame MP3. Once you save the file to your computer you can point the DAW to the .dll file for the mp3 encoder and viola you didnt have to buy one from the company. Now, moving on to recording from audio cables instead of MIDI inputs and outputs. What I used to do to record my Digital Piano into my Laptop before I had a decent DAW was to take a 3.5mm audio jack to a 3.5mm audio jack and connect one to my headphone port on my digital piano and one to the microphone port to my laptop. Now some Digital Piano's come with auxiliary outputs for audio and are generally labeled left and right. You will sometimes see one hole labeled as both as well if you dont have the right cables. Now the only issue I have ran across by doing this method is that you need to turn down the mic on the computer itself in the audio options menu to almost 0 so that when you do record say through Audacity you don't have something so distorted and loud that it's unrecognizable. I also found that on my Digital Piano that by turning down the physical volume of the entire piano also helped to find the right fit for recording into Audacity. Once you do record into Audacity you can easily use the LAME MP3 encoder to export as mp3. Remember you will have to download that separately from the main program as well and point towards it. A simple google search should tell you exactly how to do that. I hope some of this information helped you out and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Also on a side note if you are wanting something simple to set up and play then I suggest taking a look at Mixcraft 5. It's the closest thing I have found to Garageband for Mac on windows. It isnt free but they have a demo version you can try and it comes pre loaded with tons of col sounds and effects and is very easy to get set up.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I finally got Reason 5 and installed it on my laptop, plugged in my keyboard via the usb to midi, selected Grand Piano and I was off. I plugged my laptops audio out into my mixer which goes to an amp, and it sounds like I've got a grand piano, the neighbours probabily wonder how I've managed to fit it in my music room, lol.

I did notice the sound is a little delayed, but I managed to play regardless.

Originally Posted by PianoMan1990
I recommend downloading ASIO4ALL. Its a free driver that installs and ASIO audio driver to your current system allowing lower latency. I use it all the time and It has performed wonderfully for me. No latency between pressing a key and hearing the virtual sound is key.

would this work for Reason also?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, the ultimate answer Wayne is called an "audio interface"
(just read expense) Ableton live 8 has no latency, AND you can use all of reasons devices in it by using the rewire function.
Ask and thou shalt recieve.

Ps nearly did a post entitled "The reason for Wayne being awol" (get it the "reason"?)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
PS, if you want, you can open up many grand pianos in reason, and play them all at once!

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Think I better take this one step at a time. So firstly I'm gonna try downloading ASIO4ALL and see what difference it makes.

I'll get hold of Ableton live 8, and keep it to one side smile

Originally Posted by Rostosky
Ps nearly did a post entitled "The reason for Wayne being awol" (get it the "reason"?)

AWOL lmao, have I been away that long, do I need a doctors note?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you opened up an instance of a device for a grand piano, just open up another device underneath it Wayne, and so on..
You can open up as many devices as you wish,no harm done, you can just close them again if you dont like!

My guess is you will have used NNXT advanced sampler? well try opening another underneath, and having strings, and another with say brass, and then say opening up delay under that etc.... its BIG isnt it?? enough for a lifetimes hobby and learning?

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Oh no........I downloaded ASIO4ALL and installed it and now there's no sound from Reason at all. I've uninstalled ASIO4ALL and still no sound. The sounds working on my laptop, just not in Reason.

Would I have to install ASIO4ALL and then re-install reason?

frown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission