2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 10 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
skanepa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Even though I've searched the threads here, I can't really find much on opinions re: Yamaha YPG-635. I want to buy a digital piano and have narrowed it down between the Casio Privia PX330 and Yamaha YPG-635. My budget is 600-700ish. My main concern is fully weighted keys (GH action). Secondly I like the idea of having a few more sounds/voices and rhythms to work with. I'm concerned about what I've read here re: Casio keys loosening up and clicking. Going up into the $1000 range is not an option. Thanks for any advice or opinions.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by skanepa
Even though I've searched the threads here, I can't really find much on opinions re: Yamaha YPG-635. I want to buy a digital piano and have narrowed it down between the Casio Privia PX330 and Yamaha YPG-635. My budget is 600-700ish. My main concern is fully weighted keys (GH action). Secondly I like the idea of having a few more sounds/voices and rhythms to work with. I'm concerned about what I've read here re: Casio keys loosening up and clicking. Going up into the $1000 range is not an option. Thanks for any advice or opinions.

I think you are right to think fist about the key action. But the YPG635 uses the "GHS" action. Not GH. If you want GH the lowest price piano with that action is the CP30 that sells for $995. However I have a 20% and a 15% off advertizment from guitar canter and Sam Ash that would take either $150 or $200 off the CP30 price. You can always get at least 10% at the store if you ask right.

S
skanepa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Chris, are you sure about the GHS action for the 635? I just checked again on kraftmusic and yamaha website, and it states the 635 has graded hammer action, not graded hammer standard.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The YPG-635 has GHS action. This is Yamaha's cheapest and I consider it to be light. Some people prefer it to the stiffer actions on Casio. The P-85 also has this action. You have to spend $1000 to get the action Yamaha calls GH. I believe the cheapest models with GH are the P-140 and CP-33.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The only other piano with sounds (besides the YPG-635 and PX-330) in this price range is the Casio PX-575. There are around 900 sounds and it has accompaniment, drum loops, and drum kits. It has a big digital display and decent sounding on board speakers. It is more like Casio's WK series workstations only with weighted keys. It is probably a step backward compared to the PX-330 in that it has 32 note polyphony, no Midi IN/OUT and No LINE IN or LINE OUT (YPG-635 lacks all of this also). It's probably safe to say Casio will be phasing it out. There is a lot on it and it has some superb sounds but it's a bit long in the tooth compared to the new Privias.

S
skanepa Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all the info. I took 2 months of lessons on the Yamaha 635 and liked the action. However, I've never played anything else other than the Yamaha 535 which I did NOT like, and my old Casio CTK. I guess I would be leaning toward the Casio Privia 330, especially since you said there are no Midi, lines in or out on the 635. And to be honest, I don't really know what those are anyway. Do they have to do with hooking up to computer and amps? I just think it would be a good thing to have, even if I don't know what it is now. I don't want to end up with something that during the first year or two I decide I need to upgrade because of it not having these things.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Yes. MIDI IN/OUT is for connecting to additional sound modules called Racks and also to audio interfaces. You can also connect to other equipment (second keyboard) with MIDI jacks to control them, but you have to have MIDI through for this. The 330 also has USB MIDI which all late model keyboards have to go into a computer. The LINE OUT is for connecting to amps, and the LINE IN is for connecting something like an iPod.

J
J
20% and 15% off coupons?!?? O____O How can I get my hands on those? Can you share? :P

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jonjonk
20% and 15% off coupons?!?? O____O How can I get my hands on those? Can you share? :P

I posted that Appril 28th, those deals are typically only for a weekend or a week at the most. Sign up on the Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Music123, Sweetwater and other web sites then when you are on eir e-mail lists you get the notices. Also if you actually buy stuff you get on their "a List" of better customers and get more notices

Here is a 10% off deal at zzounds I just got and will not use myself. (But most places can do a 10% discount if you know how to ask correctly. So I wait for a 15 or 20% deal))

Call 1-800-ZZOUNDS (996.8637) to redeem this offer.
Mention your personal sale code: RE0510A-1301089

Maybe we need a "coupons" sticky thread?

J
J
thank you! Considering how pricey keyboard equipments can get, a coupon thread would be most helpful.

edit: here is a 10% off coupon for guitarcenter.com - save10p

Last edited by jonjonk; 05/11/10 08:32 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I have a PX330. Very pleased with it, it's excellent value with a good range of sounds. But I have problems with the keys, although I seem to be the only one. They are quite loose compared to Roland's, Yamaha's and Kawai's, but otherwise the action is fine. Until yesterday I had three keys that produce a metallic click when doing scales or arpeggios, and now I have four. So something is up with my keyboard. I'm not that bothered though. It doesn't affect playing, and with headphones,or moderate speaker volume or gigs you don't hear it.....and I have 3 years warranty so will get it fixed before then. So despite my experience I would recommend the PX330 for the price as a portable stage, practise and controller DP.

J
J
EFF YEAH!! I just bought a refurb PX330 from Music123 for really cheap! I love their price match! There shouldn't be anything wrong with a refurb, right? I have lots of refurb gears that have worked well for years, but this is the first time buying a refurb DP.

A
A
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was actually looking at these two pianos today and didn't think a new one was necessary. I was trying to decide about the polyphony between the two and wanted to ask your opinions...how much of a difference will there be between 64 and 128? Will it be obvious for an advanced player? I have played the Casio in store and loved it but the 635 would be an online purchase used and I'm worried about the sound quality.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you are playing just piano, 64 polyphony will probably be enough for you. If you are playing other instruments (that require more polyphony) or ever plan on layering sounds, you will probably experience note drop-off with just 64 polyphony.

It's not a sound quality issue as much as it is a limitation for the kinds of music you can make. Workstations are often now 256 note polyphony because of the expectation for complex sounds and layers.

Since you really loved the Casio, there aren't many arguments against it for you. Had it been the other way around, then you would have to consider how your use would be impacted by the 64 vs 128.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Many people prefer the Yamaha sound over the Casio, that's a personal decision. As to polyphony, if you're going to layer tones or use the sustain a lot you might notice note drop offs and I emphasize might, but it should not be a big concern. That model Yamaha does not sustain the left hand in split mode while the Casio does. That may or may not bother you. The Yamaha does not have midi in/out unless I'm mistaken. Again, you might not care. I've had the PX330 for a year or two now and I'm very satisfied. I've got mine connected to monitors and a mixer and sound modules so I can get almost any sound I want out of it. Sound quality in either one is so-so with the built in speakers —many people will add monitors or speaker/amp combos. There is a certain amount of tweaking you can do to get the optimal piano voice but with computer programs/modules you can do so much more.

Sandy

A
A
Thanks for the help!

I grew up on a Steinway so know very little about digital pianos and the difference in polyphany or the bells and whistles so I really do appreciate the extra info. I don't have a ton to spend right now and so I was only looking for a simple yet solid digital piano to mess around on for fun in our apartment and am set on the Casio, however I just saw a very cheap ($300) 635 for sale (half what I plan on spending) and it had me intrigued. I would only be using it just as a piano and nothing more but had no idea exactly what I needed.

Last edited by alison03; 08/02/11 06:17 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
alison03, given that you've already tried the Casio, and clearly enjoyed playing the instrument, I'd say go for the Privia!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
Indeed! I think I will in fact stick with it. Thanks again everyone.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
You should be aware that many Casio digital pianos develop keybed issues. Complaints range from nosiy, clicky keys, to loose and wobbly keys. Not all Casios have these problems, but it does tend to show up in their entire line including the Celvianos. You should be aware that there are a sizeable amount of complaints about the keybeds. On the positive, users with defective keybeds received replacements from Casio under warranty.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Personally, I have no problem with 64 note polyphony for just piano. In fact, I've often used a model with 32 note polyphony with no problems. Even with the sustain pedal down, you're not likely to have more than 32 notes ringing at once, much less 64. In theory, it becomes an issue if you layer sounds, but even then I found it to be no problem. The most common thing to so is layer strings with piano... and if you do that, it's very unlikely you're going to let even 16 notes sustain at once, so 32 give you plenty. Remember that, unlike piano tones, the string sounds don't decay, they sustain at full level until you release the pedal. Having 16+ of those notes sustaining at full volume already would likely to begin to get pretty messy!

Since you say you're using it as a piano and nothing more, the PX-330 doesn't really have any advantage over the PX-130, except for connection ports (not insignificant, but maybe not worth the price difference to you). Similarly, the DGX/YPG Yamahas won't have any advantage over a Yamaha P95. Personally, I prefer the sound and feel of the Yamaha to the Casio, but go with whatever you like better...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission