2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
60 members (BeeZee4, dhull100, Bachus, 20/20 Vision, Bazile, accordeur, dbudde, Andymania, 12 invisible), 479 guests, and 380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Which one to buy: Kawai CS3 or CA13?
#1724568 08/01/11 02:15 PM
D
Dingo Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi!
I’m new to this forum, and registered because I can’t decide which DP to buy. So I hope some people here can help me out!

After a few months of reading, searching, listening and thinking I narrowed my search down to two DP’s: the Kawai CS3 and CA13.

But first, it might be useful to tell more about myself and what I want from a DP. Let’s start with telling that I actually can’t play (yet). When I was a child I had a few years of practice on a keyboard, but all what I learned back then is long gone. So I have to start from the beginning again. I don’t need or want any of the features that were on my keyboard, for me the DP is just a step to learn to play the piano, and when after a few years I think I got the hang of it, I want to replace it for an acoustic one.

I started my search a few months ago. Since my keyboard was a Roland, my search started there. Soon I found out that Yamaha also made a lot of good DP’s, and there was Kawai, but in the back of my head there was the thought that somehow it had to be a Roland. When I had done enough reading and comparing on the internet, I went out.

I made a trip to a few local dealers, they all had Rolands and Yamaha’s waiting for me. Since I couldn’t play myself, I stood there listening while the salesmen played at them. So there I was, at the first dealership, waiting to hear the beautiful sound of my beloved Roland..but nothing happened. The guy was playing very well, and I could recognize the sound of a piano, but somehow it felt so static, so clean. This wasn’t what I expected. The Yamaha’s where already better, but the ones that sounded good had to many bells and buttons to my taste, and I wouldn’t pay for options that I did not want on it in the first place, since I was looking for a great piano experience only.
Then when I came to the last local dealership, (which is much more a real piano dealer with a few DP’s upstairs, instead of a high-tech music shop), he had a few Kawai’s standing there. When he started to play..the thing I didn’t expect to get from a DP anymore happened..my ears fell in love.
Somehow it felt like the thing was alive, and producing the sounds that I was looking for. I know you can get a lot of different things out of a piano, but what intrigues me, and what I want to play..is the minimalistic and melodramatic thing. (like Einaudi/Tiersen/Sati/etc.) I love the fact that some things can be played so subtle, and yet be so powerful. Like it just went straight to your body and soul. And I got the feeling that for a DP, the Kawai’s where able to do just that. So there I was, blown away by Kawai. The dealer advised me to buy one of the cheapest Kawai’s to learn to play, and when I stuck with it, and wanted to move on, to buy a good second hand Yamaha silent piano.

But now I’m not so sure I want the cheapest one. I want to have a DP that keeps me exited and going for a few years. And I also want it to be as close as a real one as possible (in this pricerange). I’ve read a lot of things about the “feel” and hammer-actions, but since I don’t have any experience on the real deal, I can’t compare it myself.

So, after all this I came to two options. The Kawai CS3 and CA13. The CS3 just looks..stunning, and just for that reason I would go for that one. But I noticed a difference in the hammer-action in both of them. Is that difference, for me as a rookie, noticeable? Or are there any other things about these two I have to think about? I, for myself can’t make a choice, and to be honest, I didn’t hear these two particular DP’s in action. He did not have those in stock. I hope someone here can give some good advise.

Sorry if this post is a bit long!
Regards,

Re: Which one to buy: Kawai CS3 or CA13?
Dingo #1724587 08/01/11 02:41 PM
N
N
Hi, your post is interesting as I am on the verge of buying a CA63 myself smile

Kawaijames will confirm (or not) but I think the difference between CA13 and CS3 are mainly the appearence of the DP, the escapement simulation (on the CS3) which is not a mandatory feature on a piano as it can be found only on grands and not uprights, and... the price tag of course !

Naxos #1724599 08/01/11 03:00 PM
D
Dingo Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi, thank you for responding smile

I've read about that "escapement simulation", but since I never played a grand piano, I wouldn't have a clue what that actually is, or feels like.
Ofcourse I will go to an upright after my DP years, but that would be only because I think I can't afford a (good) grand piano, or have the space to put it. But owning a grand piano will allways be something to dream about for the future. So is having that on board wise? I don't know.

About the pricetag, the difference between the CS3 and CA13 is only €100.-! Which doesn't make the choice easier.

Dingo #1724607 08/01/11 03:08 PM
N
N
You are right the price difference between CS3 and CA13 is much less than between CS6 and CA63 (my case) laugh

I doubt you will get your 100€ back when selling it, but the good looks may be worth it.

Last edited by Naxos; 08/01/11 03:37 PM.
Dingo #1724700 08/01/11 05:55 PM
N
NSA Offline
N
Well Dingo,

The Kawai CA13 features the 'RM3 Grand' wooden key action. And the CS3 features the RH (Responsive Hammer) action. I think that the RM3 grand action is closer to a real acoustic piano action than the RH action. Don't forget that the CS3 features the let-off mechanism and the CA13 doesn't.

I think the best thing you can do is to go to another piano dealer and test them both, as everyone has his own taste.
Here, in Rotterdam, you've got 'J. Van Urk Piano's ' who has them both.

Kind regards,

Nashwan

PS: Have a look at this topic: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1695299/Kawai_cn33_ca13_cs3_wich_to_ch.html

Kawai CN-33
Korg PA-800
Dingo #1724705 08/01/11 06:10 PM
N
N
Oops, thought the CS3 would have RM3, as the CA13, I obviously learned something tonight smile
Thanks

Dingo #1724776 08/01/11 08:07 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good morning chaps,

Yes, NSA is absolutely right: the CS3 utilises the 'RH' action with let-off, while the CA13 utilises the 'RM3 Grand' action without let-off.

There are also a handful of other differences, summarised in the table below:

[Linked Image]

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Dingo #1724786 08/01/11 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Dingo
...I didn’t hear these two particular DP’s in action. He did not have those in stock.

Do you recall which Kawai instrument the salesperson demonstrated to you?
The CA93/CA63 and CS9/CS6 models feature the more advanced 'UPHI' sound technology (compared with the 'PHI' sound technology found in the CA13 and CS3). To prevent disappointment, I would strongly recommend play-testing (or at least listening to) the two models that you are considering.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Dingo #1727010 08/05/11 03:14 AM
D
Dingo Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi!

Thank you all for the support. Also in the other parts of this forum, because of all the great information shared in this forum, I decided to go with another model: the CN33!
It saved me some money compared to the models I was first looking for, and it was in stock, so when I bought it yesterday, the delivered it within the hour!

I probably payed a bit more compared to an online store like Thomann, but I like the idea of having a service point close by. I wil contribute to the prices payed, and CN33 arrived topic later on.(as I am extremly busy the coming period) Also, I will add to the cyclist thread, as I saw some of you are enthusiastic cyclists, as I am too!

Cheers!
Dingo

Dingo #1727232 08/05/11 12:35 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations Dingo on your CN33. Yes please join us owners with photo's on the CN33 Arrived thread when you have a chance.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stephen Hough plays in Wigmore Hall, London
by BeeZee4 - 06/01/20 08:52 AM
Articulation on Bach French Suite
by Ubu - 06/01/20 07:28 AM
Exam stress
by Bachus - 06/01/20 05:18 AM
Steinway NY action faster than Steinway Hamburg?
by Light124 - 06/01/20 03:38 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,329
Posts2,964,642
Members97,257
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission