2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1724301 08/01/11 01:38 AM
D4v3 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I would love to get feedback on this short simple piece I just created for two muted violins called "La Mer Noire" (The Black Sea).

It's written with contemporary music in mind and reminds me of a combination of Benjamin Brittan's Four Sea Interludes and Debussey's La Mer(Hence my title).

I did not intentionally try to copy either of them and you may think there is no relation to them at all; however, I tried not to embelish this too much as to keep with the artistic theme of the sea being mysterious and simple?

Anyway here you go please let me know I value good and bad feedback. If you choose to be critical dont just say you didnt like it try to tell me why please.

La Mer Noire

** some parts sound a little wavey sorry but this is the limitations of Finale 2011

Last edited by D4v3; 08/01/11 01:41 AM.

Currently learning composition:

Some of my compositions
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by D4v3
I would love to get feedback on this short simple piece I just created for two muted violins called "La Mer Noire" (The Black Sea).

It's written with contemporary music in mind and reminds me of a combination of Benjamin Brittan's Four Sea Interludes and Debussey's La Mer(Hence my title).

I did not intentionally try to copy either of them and you may think there is no relation to them at all; however, I tried not to embelish this too much as to keep with the artistic theme of the sea being mysterious and simple?

Anyway here you go please let me know I value good and bad feedback. If you choose to be critical dont just say you didnt like it try to tell me why please.

La Mer Noire

** some parts sound a little wavey sorry but this is the limitations of Finale 2011

I can view the printed score, but how do I get playback? Using IE9 - which, despite any criticism you like to make, IS the standard Windows browser!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice one smile It reminds me of the scene in The Hound of the Baskervilles by Conan-Doyle, when Watson sees the figure silhouetted by the moon, when he's on the moore. (that's just my silly little interpretation :P)

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
D4v3 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Originally Posted by D4v3

La Mer Noire

I can view the printed score, but how do I get playback? Using IE9 - which, despite any criticism you like to make, IS the standard Windows browser!

Do you have the latest version of Flash installed? I ask because my iPhone yields the same thing for me I can't see any music player, this is because iPhones don't have Flash capabilities.

If you private message me with an email address I'll send you the mp3 it's only 1.5meg.

Last edited by D4v3; 08/01/11 08:07 AM.

Some of my compositions
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I got it going on FireFox.

It's effective. It would be interesting to hear it played on two violas, though the bottom string of a violin has its own special flavour. We won't find out from synthesised playback though. Do you know any players?

You went for an open 5th on the last note, I'd have chosen a unison.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've got a violin and some very very very basic skills, I could maybe play the bottom part... :P

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
D4v3 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jolteon
I've got a violin and some very very very basic skills, I could maybe play the bottom part... :P

I'm glad you liked it! Also, I've always yearned to be told that my music belongs in campy British films circa 1970. I shall notify BBC at once! laugh

Haha seriously though I'm glad you liked it!

Last edited by D4v3; 08/01/11 09:46 AM.

Some of my compositions
D4v3 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
I got it going on FireFox.

It's effective. It would be interesting to hear it played on two violas, though the bottom string of a violin has its own special flavour. We won't find out from synthesised playback though. Do you know any players?

You went for an open 5th on the last note, I'd have chosen a unison.

Unfortunately I dont kwno any players frown

I guess I could have used a unison at the end, Im still learnding (mispelled on purpose).

Last edited by D4v3; 08/01/11 09:45 AM.

Some of my compositions

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission