2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Halfway through 2011 and I've played every day. I've accomplished more "playing" than ever before allowing myself to enjoy sight reading as never before. I'm logging my hours on a couple of pieces are learning what it takes to really fine tune a performance piece. What a joy! Only a few days have been "you MUST play today" days.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
B
B
Just wanted to pop in and say I'm still in still playing everyday, though lately my minimum playing time went from around an hour to about 20 minutes. So many things in the day to do, I hardly have time to play as much. I just have one question, is it true that sometimes you have to take a break, as in maybe a day, away from practice to keep it fresh or is it just breaks in between practicing?

change is not a sudden happening, it takes time; allow yourself the time that it takes, but take that time to make every effort…
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wisebuff, I know what you mean. I rarely have those "must play" days. The rest is just pure pleasure.
I don't log my hours, I tried it for a bit but it didn't really do anything for me. Maybe at some point in the future I'll find it useful.

Banon07 - Schedules change - some days we just don't have that full hour to play. In fact I rarely sit and play for an hour, I take a lot of breaks - short breaks but I take them. I generally don't play more than half an hour without pausing for a bit.

As for theories on taking days off or breaks in practicing. I think that there is no harm in taking a few days off, if you've been working hard - (well, seriously, for most of us it doesn't matter if we've been working hard or not, a few days off isn't going to do any damage). I think what some people have to watch out for is that the day, or couple of days doesn't extend and become a longer stretch.

There are times when I consider taking a week off, but then I know I'd miss it too much.

I think once I'm at a higher level I might back off a bit...but then again, maybe not.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
My piano teacher is a brilliant musician and a wonderful friend. This year she turns 80 years old or should I say young because she is vibrant, beautiful and sharp as ever. Music is her joy and she shares that with young students and with a group of adult students. We all consider her family. Because her home is small she asked me to host her party and party we did. Over 60 people came from all over the country to celebrate. With the decorating, food preparation, guest management etc I was busy from early morning to late night all weekend. I did play on Saturday but on Sunday (party day) the piano belonged to Marian and we enjoyed every moment of her. A day devoted to piano but not one on which I played.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wisebuff, that's one of the best reasons I can think of for missing a day - you're "back on the wagon" with laurels and honours.

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks Casinitaly
The warm support is very much appreciated. Forums are a different kind of communication. Sometimes you can feel like a non-person if no one responds. You're very good at making us feel noticed.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Thanks Casinitaly
The warm support is very much appreciated. Forums are a different kind of communication. Sometimes you can feel like a non-person if no one responds. You're very good at making us feel noticed.

Aw, thanks Wisebuff.

I try. I usually do the MOYD updates first thing in the morning, so I don't always have time to make comments before I head out for work, but I try.
I know that sensation of "um, is anyone listening to me?"...and it isn't fun.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is one of those rare days when MOYD is the only reason I'm going to play.

It's 11:30 at night and 91 degrees with 65% humidity in the house. I was supposed to have my piano tuned this evening, but it was so hot, I told my tech we could reschedule if he wanted. He was quite happy to cancel. And I'm hot and sweaty and cranky. *blah*

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
MaryBee #1718399 07/21/11 11:46 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
This is one of those rare days when MOYD is the only reason I'm going to play.

It's 11:30 at night and 91 degrees with 65% humidity in the house. I was supposed to have my piano tuned this evening, but it was so hot, I told my tech we could reschedule if he wanted. He was quite happy to cancel. And I'm hot and sweaty and cranky. *blah*

thumb

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I have to go on the excused list from yesterday 7/23 till next Saturday. We're on vacation for the week and my wild dreams of finding a piano in our rental that they had forgotten to mention haven't come true!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
I have to go on the excused list from yesterday 7/23 till next Saturday. We're on vacation for the week and my wild dreams of finding a piano in our rental that they had forgotten to mention haven't come true!

Have a safe trip, Andy!

D
D
I would like to join this if possible! I'm a beginners piano player, in its literal meaning. I bought a digital piano recently (Yamaha P155) about a month ago and I've been playing non-stop. I'm watching instructional videos and progressing from there (I will soon get a tutor, the instructional videos are more for Theory as opposed to finger work). I've played a little bit of the piano accordion when I was young with lessons so I'm a bit familiar technique and fingering.

Tell you how devoted I am, I'm currently fighting a cold or flu and I just practiced for 3 hours today =).

My goal: play classical music (Rachmaninoff prelude C minor sharp). Get RCM grade 10 (obviously not by the end of year) in the years to come.

I may sound like all those beginners who end up giving up and not even reach in level 8, but let me prove you wrong =).

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Andy - have a good time (well, as good as possible, without a piano wink )

Deviatorz - Welcome! It is always a pleasure to have a new person join with such great enthusiasm!

[Linked Image]

D
D
I'll give it a go. Just started playing, thought it'd be a good combo with years of choral singing. Everyday practice ought to get me up to speed soon.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Yikes! Just made it today. I taught all morning then had to write end of term reports, then had to dash out to more lessons. I was going to play the piano at the school but my students showed up early and it didn't seem appropriate.

We went out for a pizza after the lesson and I didn't get home til after 11 pm. Thank goodness for the Silent feature!
I really did not want to fall off the wagon!

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Glad to hear you made it! smile

DAG;
I am off the wagon...missed playing on my birthday!
Oh well, will still stay consistent the rest of the year!
-audrey

Working on...
Suzuki Book 2: Minuet 2 by Bach
Linus and Lucy
T
T
Going through one of those "no audible progress" periods, but still playing every day, even if it's only 10 minutes of scales -- MYOD is a great motivator.

Before I get too caught up in preparations and forget, I wanted to let you know that I have to go on the excused list from September 8 to October 4 inclusive. I'll be travelling and not have access to a piano.

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Suzuki Piano School, book 5, second half
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I'm back in the land of the living ... or, to be more accurate, back with my piano. I had a great vacation but I couldn't wait to play my piano again. Just had my first practice and it was great!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
I'm back in the land of the living ... or, to be more accurate, back with my piano. I had a great vacation but I couldn't wait to play my piano again. Just had my first practice and it was great!

Welcome back. Your piano missed you, too.

Page 17 of 27 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 26 27

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission