2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The die is cast, or at least the deposit check is written and in the mail. I will be attending SummerKeys the week of July 25. The previous week I will be hiking the Appalachian Trail in the 100 mile wilderness in Maine - I will not be carrying a piano on the hike. ha

Wish me luck!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
That sounds like a great combination of outdoors and culture, Sam. We were at Baxter State Park a few years ago, and I highly recommend some serious bug repellent. The black flies there will take a chunk out of your flesh!

I also want to go to Summerkeys. I look forward to hearing your report!

Nancy

Estonia 168
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That sounds perfectly delightful Sam!!
I cannot wait to hear about your entire trip, that sounds like my dream vacation!!
I know you are not taking your piano on the hike, but just out of curiosity, will you take an ipod/mp3 player to listen to as you walk?
Have you chosen a piece that you would like to work on while at Summer Keys?

Christine

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sounds like a great vacation indeed Sam - have fun and I can't wait to hear back. I 'really' want to go to a Summer and or Winter camp.

However first up when wifey and I get some time to actually take a proper vacation is to hit a beach and just read & do nothing much else for 7days (soon soon)

- SC

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GlassLove
That sounds perfectly delightful Sam!!
I cannot wait to hear about your entire trip, that sounds like my dream vacation!!
I know you are not taking your piano on the hike, but just out of curiosity, will you take an ipod/mp3 player to listen to as you walk?
Have you chosen a piece that you would like to work on while at Summer Keys?

My ipod is loaded with free audiobooks from librivix.org. I'm partial to Dickens and Collins and Forster. Anyway, the batteries wouldn't last for a week. Maybe I'll copy my music and carry it with me to study. wink

I'll probably work on Mendelssohn op. 38 #6. It's very difficult for me - it's my target piece for the August recital.

I'll definitely make a report when I get back!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Has anyone attended the Icicle Creek retreat in Leavenworth WA? There are 2 upcoming sessions this fall. I would like to hear if anyone thought they benefited from that retreat. Also, I'm trying to find out more information on the one in Victoria. Their website has sketchy information. I would love to go to the NE, but they are so far away.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Also, I'm trying to find out more information on the one in Victoria. Their website has sketchy information. I would love to go to the NE, but they are so far away.
I gave a detailed account of my (fabulous) time in Victoria here:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...20piano%20practice%20fi.html#Post1715004

This was my third year and I intend to keep going every year until I die!

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Has anyone attended the Icicle Creek retreat in Leavenworth WA? There are 2 upcoming sessions this fall. I would like to hear if anyone thought they benefited from that retreat. Also, I'm trying to find out more information on the one in Victoria. Their website has sketchy information. I would love to go to the NE, but they are so far away.

I would like to hear about the Icicle Creek retreat too. Not sure if I would be interested in too much yoga/hiking...

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
A
A

Yes, I attended Icicle Creek Adult Piano Camp's inaugural retreat last fall.

I found it worthwhile to have the one-on-one piano instruction, the dedicated practice time, camaraderie with other adults, the dining/social interaction, the faculty concert was inspiring. The special topic of exercises for pianists given by a physical therapist was very useful. She gave us stretching exercises the would stretch the opposing muscles to the ones we used in playing the piano. The idea is to maintain a balance in the muscles. We pianists overwork certain muscles which can create imbalances.

Since I live in the area I do have access to Lisa Bergman who is developing the retreats, so if you have specific topics that are of interest to you that you'd like to have in the curriculum just let me know.

Lisa just asked me the other day what things I'd like to have included in a top notch adult retreat and I'll be sitting down to compile what I'd like to see and giving her my feedback.

If you, or anyone else at PW, have topic ideas let me know either here or via PM. I'll definitely let Lisa know.

I'm with you about trying to get to the east coast for piano opportunities by the time you travel there, and then add on the tuition etc. it really adds up.

By the way, I did let Lisa know that they need more detailed info regarding the classes etc.

What specifics would you like to know about any of the classes? I'll find out for you now. But I'll let them know they need to better describe the curriculum and other activities. I agree totally that the way things are presented on the website are lacking in detail. They also need bios of the pianists who will be teaching and conducting classes.

I can tell you that the pianist at the retreat this September - John Pickett - is an exceptional pianist and teacher, and is held in high regard by the pianists in our area. Lisa is superb, too.

The basic gist of the yoga for pianists is to create healthful mind and body in relation to playing the piano. That's all I know right now.

The adult piano retreat at Icicle Creek is, in my opinion, a work in progress and will continue to evolve into a well constructed retreat. As it is now, I think the fact that it is on the west coast and is a good value, make it attractive and worthwhile. As more people attend each successive retreat and they get more feedback, they will fine-tune their offerings.

You can always email Lisa for any questions you may have about the programs. She is very helpful.

The setting for the retreat is very quiet and soothing. There are paths that meander through the meadows and woods and the quiet is really nice, especially if you are coming in from the city. Gives you time to think about what you learned.

Hope this helps.

AR

Sauter 122 Masterclass (M-Line)
A
A
Originally Posted by Lain

I would like to hear about the Icicle Creek retreat too. Not sure if I would be interested in too much yoga/hiking...

Lain,

What would you like to have in your ideal piano retreat? Your wishes and wants are exactly what Lisa Bergman wants to hear from adult pianists. They really want input from adult pianists so they can construct a top notch curriculum.

Please let me know.

AR

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by A Rebours
What would you like to have in your ideal piano retreat? Your wishes and wants are exactly what Lisa Bergman wants to hear from adult pianists. They really want input from adult pianists so they can construct a top notch curriculum.

Please let me know.

AR
I live in the area and would be very interested in participating but the dates conflict with school, (I teach). If there are any plans to have the retreat over the summer, during winter or spring break or a long weekend, I'd love to come.

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
Originally Posted by A Rebours

Please let me know.

AR
I live in the area and would be very interested in participating but the dates conflict with school, (I teach). If there are any plans to have the retreat over the summer, during winter or spring break or a long weekend, I'd love to come.

Same, I just realized that it conflicts with my school orientation! Hopefully next year...

P.S. Thank you for all the info, AR. I will send you a PM later today.

Last edited by Lain; 07/25/11 03:01 PM.

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
A
A
Originally Posted by Lain

Same, I just realized that it conflicts with my school orientation! Hopefully next year...

P.S. Thank you for all the info, AR. I will send you a PM later today.

Lain,

I'll be sure to pass this info along regarding winter and spring break scheduling. Right now the summers are packed with the Chamber Music Institute and Festival, Summer Symphony and Young Pianists Festival. BUT knowing the scheduling needs of prospective adults will help them plan the best times to schedule the retreats to allow for more opportunities.

Here is a shameless plug for the Chamber Music Institute and Festival. The 2011 one, which just finished yesterday, was fantastic. 5 concerts spread over 3 weekends, the young artists (college, masters and doctoral students who attended the institute) performed in 2 free concerts on Sundays, fabulous guest artists who taught at the institute, etc. I could go on and on. The chamber music programs had all sorts of combinations of piano + single instrument, piano duo, piano + multiple string players, all string etc. The repertoire was interesting and the playing was superb. The recital hall has huge windows facing the mountains which forms a backdrop to the indoor stage. One night several deer and their fawns walked across the view we had.

For all of you folks that get the Seattle Times there was a great write up of the Festival - "Chamber Music in Surround Sound". It was in the Sunday, July 17, 2011 issue in the NW Arts & Life section. This will tell you about it in more detail.

Back to Piano Retreat -

I know Icicle Creek has the intention of having the Adult Piano Retreats on an ongoing basis with more choice of dates. That is their goal.

AR

F
F
I'm quite interested in signing up for the piano retreat, but I also have misgivings about all the other activities listed. I'm really interested in the opportunity to practice piano, have lessons, and masterclasses, with the addition of social time spent with others who love piano.

A
A
Originally Posted by frida11
I'm quite interested in signing up for the piano retreat, but I also have misgivings about all the other activities listed. I'm really interested in the opportunity to practice piano, have lessons, and masterclasses, with the addition of social time spent with others who love piano.

Hi,

I would encourage you to get in touch with Lisa Bergman for more detailed information about how the days will be planned. Her email is lbergman@icicle.org

I just pulled our the daily schedule we had for the 2010 Retreat and I can give you an idea of how our time was spent last time.

Wednesday we checked in in the afternoon, got our daily schedule and orientation and practice room assignments. Then we did a group dinner with good food and wine and got acquainted with each other.

Thursday; Friday; Saturday; Sunday
9:00-11:30a.m. you either had a lesson or a
practice session

Thursday; Friday; Saturday 1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
Lesson or practice

Thursday; Friday; Saturday 12:30 - 1:30 p.m.
Lunch Break

Thursday: 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. - Group
class; Topic- practice & practice strategies

3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Hike/Free Time **
[Some people liked to hike but I opted for free time
and I relaxed a bit and found a free piano in one
of the practice rooms. One gal got a massage at
Sleeping Lady Spa which was not part of the retreat.]

5:00 - 6:00 p.m. Masterclass

6:00 p.m. Pre-Dinner Social at Grotto at
Sleeping Lady; no host bar.

7:00 p.m. - Group Dinner

Friday: 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Group Class -
"Taking Care of Musicians Bodies" presented by
a physical therapist

3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Hike/Free time **

5:00 - 6:00 p.m. Masterclass

Social hour and dinner same times as Thursday

Saturday: 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Group class

3:00 - 5:00 p.m. Group Class

5:00 - 6:00 p.m. Early social hour

6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Early dinner

7:30 p.m. Faculty Concert [Last year was a
Piano 4-hand; 1 piano concert.
[Fantastic & inspiring]

Sunday: 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Informal
student recital + champagne

**Some people took their free time to get together and play informally for each other.

I hope this gives you an idea of how much time was dedicated to playing the piano and socializing. I would think there would be the same amount of time allotted to piano and the social ascpets this year and the other topics mentioned for 2011 would go into the group class slots.

But I'd ask Lisa for the details for 2011 to be sure.

AR

A
A
Originally Posted by gooddog

I always pass on to Lisa the suggestions for dates that would work for people whose work schedules are locked in. Knowing that some people would like to come during school breaks will help them with planning the calendar for the adult retreats. They are working toward having the retreats on an on-going basis.

AR

F
F
I went to one a couple of years ago. I was amazed at how young I suddenly.. I am planning to go chamber music camp this summer also but decided against it for both work and personal reasons.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission