2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So....What motivates people?! Why DO we practice? They do allude here why people play musical instruments despite no monetary reward.

On a totally unrelated OT note, check out this phenomenal drummer!

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I practice for myself, because I like playing the piano, and want to learn how to play more, and harder pieces, to broaden my choices of what I can play.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
Pie Offline
P
- A hobby. I took up piano almost a year ago (im 22) because I want to have music with me for my whole life...I want to be able to fool around with improvising, creating, and so on in my evenings and weekends
- Play for other people too. I love the gentle sound of the piano and I think it is great to be able to go someplace (someone mentioned a bed and breakfast) with my family or friends, and just get in the zone and give them some joy!
- Another thing is the piano is like a friend that never says anything that upsets you...haha, anytime I'm feeling down I can sit at it for an hour, play everything I know and then get up happier than I was before!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid
So....What motivates people?! Why DO we practice? They do allude here why people play musical instruments despite no monetary reward.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u6XAPnuFjJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just need to mention that I am rather familiar with the research he is talking about and I must say, this video is massively misleading in how it presents the research and its findings.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Like Charles Cooke says in his book, I practice to get better, with each step up the ladder of playing ability like a key to accessing an ever widening array of the vast piano literature.

or something like that.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid

On a totally unrelated OT note, check out this phenomenal drummer!

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ItZyaOlrb7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well that was different! smile After the lame introduction you are ready for some diluted Christian rock and then those guys really get down. How that drummer could hit as well as he does while constantly spinning the sticks is a mystery. He is a hoot.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Steen
Over and over on this forum, we talk about how we practice, how much we practice, how to overcome difficulties, what to do about fingering, etc. But I have yet to see anyone discuss what our GOALS are in practicing. In fact, I have seen very little, if any, discussion about PLAYING the piano. Just practice practice practice.

So my question is: What is your goal with all this practicing? Do you want to play for friends and family at the holidays? Do you want to go to old folks homes and entertain the nonagenarians? Do you want to play in a combo, in a piano bar, at Carnegie Hall? How about accompanying Michael Buble on tour?

For me, right now, I'd like to have a solid repertoire of about 40 or 50 pieces (reading from music, not memorized) that I can play reliably well and be able to bring out at a holiday or maybe at a bed and breakfast where there's a piano in the common area.

Thoughts?

I want to play, what ever I like, how ever I like, and think I may be in for a lifetime of learning piano, like the quote above, "you just seem to have learned something, but then that opens the door to all the things you didn't know existed"

But to be honest, I don't mind, cos the journey's kinda fun smile

And for who? Maybe just me, I dunno, just being able to impress someone is a start, so I suppose the better you can impress your self, and them, the better!

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 07/22/11 07:35 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That drummer looks like he's enjoying himself ha

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My goal of playing piano, is to have something that relaxes me after a day of hard work. I have searched for a long time before I ended up with the hobby playing piano. Not everything gives energy after work. For most people sport and socializing with friends will give energy. I'm not a sports guy, although I like diving due to the relaxation reaction of the body when it's under water. Too bad diving means sporting one or two days a week and I work more days than that. It's not sufficient to me. I'm also an introvert guy, so social events costs energy. Well, it limits my possibilites. Playing piano relaxes me. It's a little world where I'm totally focussed. My muscles relaxes. It doesn't matter if I have a good or bad day at work. That's not important when I sit down to play piano.

I also love the piano. It was love at first sight when I met a beautiful tuned piano at a house where a friend of mine was babysitting cats during a vacation. I remembered an interview of an industrial designer who had the project of designing a steinway for its jubileum. After the design, it made him sad that he never learned to play such a beautiful instrument. Having industrial design as a minor, I understand his pain, because for a design he needs to fully understand the product. And then not to be able to play it... ouch. So I started to play piano. In hope that someday I could play piano that would do any justice to such a beautiful instrument.

That's it, I don't have other goals.

Chris

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's lovely Paperclip!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cebukid, thanks for that video of the drummer, hes stunning, some of those tricks are so fast and subtle even slowing the video down doesnt do them justice, WOW.. excellent..

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Cebukid, thanks for that video of the drummer, hes stunning, some of those tricks are so fast and subtle even slowing the video down doesnt do them justice, WOW.. excellent..

My Drummer is better than his drummer

I resumed lessons last fall after a 31 year absence. In the seven (!) years I took lessons as a kid and teen, I never managed to progress beyond level three due to a resistance to practicing from my lesson books (Thompson & Schaum).

I've worked up to practicing 1.5 or more hours per day, every day and I LOVE it. I have managed to get up to level 5 over these past months and it feels great. My goal is to make it up to playing level 8 pieces (w/o exams) in order to be able to play just about anything I want to with a little practice (I want to be able to just sit down and sight-read intermediate pieces).

A secondary goal is to be able to play hymns so my church will have a pianist willing to play hymns for "the older set", like myself, who miss the joy of corporate singing of hymns. I hope to host my first "hymn sing" in the next few months - I just need to find someone to lead the singing. grin

A
A
Without reading previous answers, I practice for myself and so that I can sometime jam with my friends who play guitar smile

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I have a couple of motivational mental images. When I was in college, one day a friend sat down at the piano in commons and pounded out some totally amazing Joplin, and I was consumed with admiration, envy, and wishing for the ability to generate much fun in the world. However at the time I considered myself completely devoid of musical talent, so that felt like a hopeless desire. But now that I can play (a little bit), this memory remains a very motivational mental image for me.

My other motivational image is entirely hypothetical. I imagine myself whiling away a rainy afternoon by exploring unfamiliar books of sheet music, enjoying the ability to alchemically transform those enigmatic swirls of dots on the staff into musical vibrations in the air.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
This is very easy question for me: I play piano just for my own pleasure and happiness. I also keep venomous snakes, smoke cigars ... because this things make me happy. I simply love doing this. Every new piece is a challenge. Musically and technically. And I love that. Everything else is extra, a bonus for me. But it is not necessary for me.

So answering what I would like to achieve with my practicing is simple - to become so good I can satisfy my expectations when hearing myself (after recording, of course). That's it. So basically - a lot of words for simple answer. For myself. smile

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Dabbled with keyboards and synthesizers playing chords and melodies until one day I realized I would never get better without lessons. So I started taking piano lessons, didn't realize I had chosen an instructor who teaches classical piano until it was too late. I've fallen in love with classical music and now I practice because I can't stop. Have no idea what my goal is, just know that if I can't practice, I feel lousy by the end of the day. I come to PW hoping someone here can give me a clue as to what happened...I used to be normal.

[Linked Image]
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I don't call what I do practice. I play. I open my folder of songs, pick one and start playing it/working on the parts I need to improve. I do it because, as others have mentioned, I simply love it. It gives me relaxation and satisfaction. I do it because I have to (motivationally). I've had playing an instrument as part of my life for a little over 40 years (20 of them performing) and couldn't imagine life without one close to hand to play as the mood strikes me.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission