2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Agathis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
No history or posts really on this piano, gut tells me something is wrong since it is MUCH less than Nordiska and other counterparts in 5'0! hmmmm... shocked

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Let me guess: built in China, coming out of a factory that also ships many other stencil brands. Doesn't mean it is bad, but chances that is is very good are dim.

Wait, that name sounds familiar. Reminds me of Bösendorfer and Bechstein. Maybe a joint venture? wink

One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.
-William Feather
A
Agathis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Good point, it's funny when no one (or one person) answers a post regarding the quality of these pianos. the lack of resonse may indeed be a response..

I
I
Originally posted by Eins:
Wait, that name sounds familiar. Reminds me of Bösendorfer and Bechstein. Maybe a joint venture? wink
that's what i thought, too............ XD

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Are you sure it's not a Bargaindorfer? IF you listen to "Bachendorff" in just the right way, I think we have a match...

Dave Stahl
Dave Stahl Piano Service
Santa Clara, CA
Serving most of the greater SF Bay Area
http://dstahlpiano.net
I
I
Originally posted by velopresto:
Are you sure it's not a Bargaindorfer? IF you listen to "Bachendorff" in just the right way, I think we have a match...
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A
Agathis Offline OP
OP Offline
A

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry, Agathis. I couldn't resist....

I've never heard of the brand. I'm assuming that it's a Chinese made piano with a German sounding name. There are many of those around. Niemeyer comes immediately to mind, and they are hideous PSOs(Piano Shaped Objects).

Have you seen one? Played one? Are they at a reputable dealer's showroom?

Is the action noisy? Is it whiny and harsh sounding?

Keep us posted. Now I'm curious.

Dave Stahl
Dave Stahl Piano Service
Santa Clara, CA
A
Agathis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
understood. smile well, i have been doing the search thing for a while and honestly, i feel as though i am in piano purgatory... mid tier upright or cheaper baby grand (in this case I feel it maybe way too cheap) i like bohemia best, petrof or Perzina.. heres the thing, my dad is in dallas and got swooned by a salesman talking about a "sale of pianos that a bank took over from a failed showroom." in my opinion, this is a real old and crummy story/trick... i think you are right though about the pso, maybe even a pos! smile will advise.. i wish i could just move forward with the 45 inch bohemia but the guy won't call me back.. it fits budget and is a good instrument from what i've read, maybe even a Kawai k18... confused... not sure.. shocked

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't quite understand the last sentence...are you asking if a Bohemia 45 is of the same quality as a k-18, or if it actually is a k-18?

In any case, the Bohemia and the Kawai are both decent pianos, and excellent value. The Bohemia is NOT a k-18. Totally different animals.

Sales pitches can get quite creative--and unethical. Beware of the sort of line you dad has been fed.

Dave Stahl
Dave Stahl Piano Service
Santa Clara, CA
A
Agathis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Velopresto,
I was just saying those are 2 pianos I am looking at... I like the Bohemia better(it's better right?) though and thats what I really want. I can already see now my dad when I get my upright, if I indeed go that way... 'You chose THIS over THAT?????' he was really seduced by the furniture of the 5'8 Bachendorff and it was less than $6k new... But you paid $4500 for ________ (insert upright name) oh well....

I
I
the bluebook of pianos.com says

"BACHENDORFF

This company was founded in 1794. For perspective, Haydn was writing his last works while Beethoven was writing his Opus 1 piano trios. Ibach has been notable in the development of both piano construction and the piano industry in general. The family owned and managed company has seen to the replacing of the wooden plate to the cast iron plate to produce a more powerful sound. Carl Rudolf Ibach developed the worlds first vertical piano in 1838 in addition to the worlds first tonally successful 40" console piano. Ibach has built a solid reputation in Europe over the last two centuries through fine craftsmanship and supplying pianos to a long list of famous composers and artists such as Wagner, R. Strauss, Liszt, Bartok, Schoenberg, and others.

In 1993 we began production at home under strict contract for Ibach. A good number of the Ibach meisters we had trained under in Germany stayed with us for our beginning production. The German process was quite different from what had been our own. Every step in production intentionally planned out for superb quality. New tooling was utilized in precision execution, compounded by unending regulation and scrutiny.

In 2001 we introduced the incredible Bachendorff piano, our crowning achievement. We are excited to be now producing some of the worlds truly fine pianos. Pianos that can provide your families future generations pianos to be cherished. "

WOW! founded in 1794!

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
If you go to the topic "Sorry, we don't have that here" or do a Google search for "Bachendorff Ibach piano" you will find a previous (2003) PW piano forum discussion of these pianos. (There's probably an easier way to do it, but this works.)

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
In 1993 we began production at home under strict contract for Ibach.
So does this mean that the Ibach doesn't actually make the Bachendorff in it's own factories? I saw no mention of the name "Bachendorff" on the Ibach website( http://www.ibach.de/eng/ibach-e.htm ).

~pianocliff

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Less than $6k for a 5'8" grand piano? Obviously sounds too good to be true. How does it sound & play? What are the specifications? The Bachendorff website is no longer up, exactly how old is the piano?

Someone else recently posted about Sejung China making Ellingtons (for Baldwin) also for some extremely low price for a larger piano.

Seems like the Chinese prices are going lower & lower. I know techs & others believe the low tierred pianos can be "tweaked out" (regulated & fine tuned) to sound much better than one would think for such a lower priced piano. (Dongbei's such as Nordiska for instance). Larry Fine is also saying that the quality differences between low end & high end pianos are narrowing.
. ..but how low a price is just too low & must signal the worst components & workmanship?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I thought that the Bachendorff was made in Korea, not China.

That would be a very low price for a piano made in Korea.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission