2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Hello there!

I would be very happy if some of you please could answer my following questions:

- Has the well-known flaw with Kawai MP10 concerning uneven key spacing been solved, or is there still a quite big risk of getting a unit with that flaw?

- Is there generally anything particular on MP10 that I ought to check is intact when I get my unit?

- Has MP6 at any time been affected by uneven key spacing or any other flaws?

I really hope that some of you are able to help me with my questions ;-)

Thanks!

/ Porcupine

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
By all reports these issues have been 100% solved. Kawai recalled the stock and corrected the problem. The only way you'd get one with this problem is a second hand unit that wasn't returned. It applies to all Kawai models that had the problem. ie. no Kawai should have a key-spacing issue. Even if you did have a problem, I have only ever heard great things about Kawai service. So you can relax. smile

P
OP Offline
P
Hi!

Thank you for your response. I´m glad to hear that the key-spacing issue probably has been totally solved - now I´ll just look even more forward to get my MP10 ;-)

By the way I would be very glad if you please could tell me where the MP10 and the MP6 are manufactured? My personal guess is Japan or another Asian country, but I don´t know :-)

- Porcupine

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Porcupine, all Kawai digital pianos are manufactured in Indonesia.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
P
James..

I am about buying a digital piano and I found MP6 and MP10 has a very positive review.
well...I am considering CA63 and CA93 also.

Does KAWAI sell these dp in Indonesia?
If yes, How much does it cost?

I am from Indonesia and I have been desperately searching for the information about this keyboards and the price in many local stores here in indonesia but no result.
They said they do not sell any KAWAI digital piano.

thanks

premium_devil,

Please refer to the following URL for a list of Kawai's worldwide distributors:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide [click 'Asia & Oceania', then 'Indonesia']

I will also speak with colleagues responsible for the South East Asian area tomorrow to find out which instruments are available in your country.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
I recently got a MP6 and it's got no uneven spacing problems. The only thing that slightly annoys me is when the keys *edit* return *edit* after being pressed they do a double bounce as it hits the top and makes a bit of noise that's more noticeable in the higher notes. (I hope this is normal as it happens to all the keys, I tried to watch some MP6 demo videos and I *think* I could spot the same bounciness)

Last edited by macbug; 07/20/11 06:01 PM.
macbug, to clarify, there are no springs inside the MP6's keyboard action - the keys return to their neutral position using a weighted hammer.

Regarding the bouncing, I expect most if not all digital piano keyboard actions may exhibit a similar characteristic (some more than others) - perhaps you could play-test some other instruments from Yamaha and Roland?

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
Sorry I edited my post, I did not mean to imply it has spring in it I was just trying to come up with a word for the motion. I did a lot of reading of threads on this forum when I was researching which DP to get and I was getting a bit worried that no one else mentioned the return noise (I see people complaining about fp-7 bottoming noise for example). This is my first DP and I'm a total beginner still trying to learn my first song (but hey Accordion 15 years ago counts right?!) so when I was in the music shop trying out DPs before I got my MP6 I totally didn't know what I was looking for. I will say though I tried out a Fujiyama they had on sale (please don't laugh) and I was frankly amazed they could sell that with a straight face - the keys were wobbling all over the place and it felt like a toy! That was one of the reasons my budget doubled (and uh this forum is to blame for tripling it) since I didn't want to buy a cheap DP that'll end up like that and I have to say the Kawai MP6 is very solid and I am very happy with my purchase smile

P
P
I finally got a chance to play the MP10 in the local dealership here in my area and I have to say that I loved the action. What put me off was the fact that there were sizeable gaps between certain keys (Obviously the key spacing issue that I have read about here). I did not see this on the MP6 that was close by but I was definitely put off the MP10 as a result. This was a newly stocked instrument also. Does anybody know if Kawai will resolve this issue with the keys? It's a lovely looking instrument, it would be my number one choice if it was not for the biold quality.

Providence, if you are referring to larger than normal gaps between the C and D keys, I can tell you that this widely reported issue has definitely been resolved.

It's difficult to say how 'new' the dealer's model is (the software version installed on the instrument could provide some clues), however it's possible that the MP10 displayed on the shop floor is older than the units in stock.

If in doubt, I recommend contacting Kawai America directly with the instrument serial no.

Kind regards,
James
x

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Having played most all the latest DPs out there, I would say the MP6 action is on par with the PHA II/III actions and the RM3 Wooden action in the MP10 to be a step up from every other DP action out there. The RM3 action is heavy (for a DP) and has a nice long, and natural feeling throw. I can say confidently, that outside of the AvantGrands, the CA93 is the closest thing to a real grand piano experience one can find in a DP.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Providence: You shouldn't have any issues with the key spacing. My MP-10 (2 months old) doesn't really have any spacing issues at all. If anything, my two acoustic pianos appear to have more gaps than the Kawai!

If in doubt, have the dealer open up the box and take a look before you take possession.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
P
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Providence, if you are referring to larger than normal gaps between the C and D keys, I can tell you that this widely reported issue has definitely been resolved.

It's difficult to say how 'new' the dealer's model is (the software version installed on the instrument could provide some clues), however it's possible that the MP10 displayed on the shop floor is older than the units in stock.

If in doubt, I recommend contacting Kawai America directly with the instrument serial no.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi James,
Thank you for the info regarding the MP-10. I was not aware that it was just between specific keys (c & d keys as mentioned). I was worried that the gaps may appear between any keys after usage but I was worrying needlessly it seems. It's definitely my first choice instrument, I thought the action was superb to say the least.
Best,
N

Providence, the gaps that folks reported previously typically occurred between notes C and D, which is where the action assembly frame joins/splits. The method of joining the action assembly frames has long since changed, and should ensure that the C/D gaps are a thing of the past.

Kind regards,
James
x

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Providence, the gaps that folks reported previously typically occurred between notes C and D, which is where the action assembly frame joins/splits. The method of joining the action assembly frames has long since changed, and should ensure that the C/D gaps are a thing of the past.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hey James, my new MP10 seems to be exhibiting this flaw, though oddly between the G/A keys two octaves below middle C. I just contacted Kawai America with the serial number, as you advised above... The box itself gives the date 06/2011 beside the S/N. Is that a reliable date? Off the top of your head, would that seem to indicate Sweetwater picked this one up before or after the spacing fix?

Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Nord Electro 4 HP
Hello Matt,

Yes, I believe the production date on the side of the box is accurate, and that your MP10 was manufactured long after the C/D gap issue was resolved.

Unless the G/A gap on your instrument is terribly noticeable, or prevents you from playing naturally, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers,
James
x

It doesn't cause a problem, and it comes and goes with playing, so perhaps it's just the wood and change in weather, as they say. I'll think nothing more of it!

Thanks KJ.

Matt

Update: Actually, a question... In the event it ever does become a problem, do I understand rightly that this sort of thing could be tweaked/adjusted by a Kawai technician in years to come? I'm thinking long, long term here, since I'm in love with the board, and plan to keep it until at least an MP12. smile

Last edited by Matt Peckham; 09/25/11 10:34 AM.

Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Nord Electro 4 HP
Matt,

Yes, in the event that your MP10's keyboard develops any problems that hinder your enjoyment of the instrument, I expect Kawai America will do their best to resolve the issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

A
A

Porcupine

Just curious - did you end up ordering an MP10 and did it arrive in perfect order ? No key spacing ? I'm asking since I'm about to order an MP10 myself here.

Cheers,
Anders

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission