2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
maddad Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I just received my MP10 tonight and found it has 6 consecutive white keys stuck, starting with the first low D going up. These keys are hard to press in and don't pop back up - it almost feels like they're rubbing against each other. The black keys in between them seem fine.

Is there something I can do to fix/adjust this myself? I haven't found anything about it in the manual...

Yamaha Clavinova CVP-103
MacBook Pro & Logic
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
maddad, I am sorry to hear that you have received a defective instrument.

May I ask from where did you purchase the MP10?

I do not recommend attempting to adjust the keyboard action yourself. Instead, please contact the store from where the instrument was purchased and request a replacement.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
maddad Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks James. I got it from Naperville Music in Naperville IL. Is it something the dealer can adjust or will I have to wait forever again to receive a replacement? I have already emailed them and will follow up tomorrow morning. Cheers.

Yamaha Clavinova CVP-103
MacBook Pro & Logic
Online Content
maddad,

Well, it's difficult to say without seeing the action, to be honest.

It could be a simple case of reseating the six keys, or performing some regulation adjustments. However, given that six consecutive keys are all sticking (i.e. the problem is restricted to just one area), I suspect it might be a more serious problem - perhaps damage caused by shipping?

Either way, it's good that the dealer is relatively local to you, so should be able to rectify the problem without too many delays.

Other than these six keys, does the instrument function correctly? All the buttons respond to pushes etc.?

Kind regards,
James
x

I
I
mad
If I were you,
I demand immediate replacement.

regards

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
MP10's have had some quality control issues with their keybed's. I'd be contacting your dealer first thing and getting a replacement.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
M
maddad Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I found the source of the problem. The front of the keyboard is made from a piece of black metal. I found a slight dent right around where the keys were stuck. It is very slight and barely visible but it bows inside to the point of pressing and rubbing against those keys. That metal front is attached to the instrument with 5 screws. I took it off, used my hands to unbend it a bit, put it back on, and voila all my keys are working now. It doesn't appear there is any other damage so I think I'll just keep this one rather then waiting for a replacement.

I haven't played much with it yet, but other then the dent I'm liking it so far. The key action is totally different from my aging CVP-103 whose keys are much harder to press and don't bounce back as quickly. I can't compare to a real piano or grand since I haven't played one in years. I'm really impressed by the dynamic action and control I get with this keyboard - definitely much greater then CVP-103 and the main reason I choose MP10.

Sound is good but I plan on using Ivory II most of the time. Right now I'm having some technical issue connecting the MIDI to my MacBook Pro - it doesn't recognize it. I'm using a standard USB cable to connect. Need to play around a little more.

Yamaha Clavinova CVP-103
MacBook Pro & Logic
M
maddad Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I got the MIDI to work with Ivory II, played a little more, and I like. I need to get a little higher seat for my setup but other then that it's perfect.

Yamaha Clavinova CVP-103
MacBook Pro & Logic
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by maddad
I found the source of the problem. The front of the keyboard is made from a piece of black metal. I found a slight dent right around where the keys were stuck. It is very slight and barely visible but it bows inside to the point of pressing and rubbing against those keys. That metal front is attached to the instrument with 5 screws. I took it off, used my hands to unbend it a bit, put it back on, and voila all my keys are working now. It doesn't appear there is any other damage so I think I'll just keep this one rather then waiting for a replacement.

I haven't played much with it yet, but other then the dent I'm liking it so far. The key action is totally different from my aging CVP-103 whose keys are much harder to press and don't bounce back as quickly. I can't compare to a real piano or grand since I haven't played one in years. I'm really impressed by the dynamic action and control I get with this keyboard - definitely much greater then CVP-103 and the main reason I choose MP10.

Sound is good but I plan on using Ivory II most of the time. Right now I'm having some technical issue connecting the MIDI to my MacBook Pro - it doesn't recognize it. I'm using a standard USB cable to connect. Need to play around a little more.

it makes me nervous that you are keeping it. it sounds like it was damaged either during assembly or shipping. you probably fixed it, but still... i'd definitely call the dealer, tell them what happened and ask them how they want to handle it- maybe they will let you keep the one you have until a replacement comes. but i wouldn't let this slide. you deserve better.

EDIT: or maybe they can get a replacement metal part for you. since you took it off yourself, it seems the metal piece could be easily replaced with an undamaged one. i would accept no less than that as a solution.

Last edited by bfb; 07/20/11 12:57 PM.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
C
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
It could be a simple case of reseating the six keys...

Originally Posted by maddad
I found the source of the problem. The front of the keyboard is made from a piece of black metal. I found a slight dent right around where the keys were stuck. ...

Sorry if this is threadjacking, but I'm curious -- I realize each situation is going to be different because of design or because of a particular instrument's misadventures, but in general, is it simple enough to fix garden-variety 'key not seated properly' problems if there's no broken stuff in there?

I'm a non-pianist thinking of buying a DP. (There are a couple songs I really need to know how to play...) Anyway I've been looking at some of the used, busted, as-is, non-returnable keyboards that musicians friend sells for half price, which appeals to me because a.) I'm a cheapskate and b.) like most Engineers I have this supreme overconfidence in my own magical diagnostic/fixin' skillz.

I'm kind of coveting a Kawai MP6 with only two unseated keys and just a few dents. I know this route's risky, and it looks like Kawai in particular won't sell spare parts to just anyone.

So ... how crazy am I?

maddad,

Living where replacements and spare parts are hard to find myself, I really think you are doing the right thing! The important thing is to determine with as deep diagnostics as you can do, that everything else is working. Try every key at different velocities, if you have a computer record your playing to make sure those keys are responding like the other keys, try every button, every connector, every wheel.

Those type of frames are usually created with several creases creating a very rigid structure, so a bend like that is probably a very serious blow or fall, so its imperative that you know that there is nothing else wrong!

Having said that, my father is an electronics engineer and I have have come to him for help on a variety of such cases as yours (busted TV, computer, earphones, etc.) and they have all worked perfectly afterwards. So, if having the thing with you is more important that waiting for a replacement that could have the same problem or even a worse one! since the weight can complicate transportation, you are doing the correct thing by keeping it. I'd do the same thing.

Rafa.

Last edited by RafaPolit; 07/20/11 05:38 PM.

Roland FP-7F
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I vote to keep it as well. That is what I would do.

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's great news Maddad!

Let us know your settings for your favorite Ivory II settings. Start a thread? Hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge (Monty Python).

Wouldn't it be great if "all" the DP manufacturers supplied the ability to export settings into csv files for import/export? That's a duh moment...

Keep the bending up Man. Just don't hurt your hand!

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
Online Content
maddad, I'm glad to read that you have been able to resolve this issue by pushing out the dent. However, I would still recommend getting in touch with the dealer to discuss the best plan of action.

I'd also be interested to find how the dent in the front of the MP10 got there, but it's perhaps if I send you a PM.

Cheers,
James
x

M
maddad Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you for all the advise.

Upon further thought I contacted the dealer and will either accept some discount for a damaged product or I want to exchange it. He's contacting Kawai to see how they want to handle it.

The dent must have gotten there during shipping. I can see on the cardboard box exactly where it was hit and it corresponds to the dent location. Visually the dent is minimal now but it's still visible. As far as I can tell that front metal was the only damage - the keys seem fine (at least for now...)

Yamaha Clavinova CVP-103
MacBook Pro & Logic

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission