2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Saul #1716548 07/19/11 04:13 PM
nobody hates you or your music. This is a forum for musicians and people actually want to help. You lack some fundamental skills and your compositions suffer. All my criticisms have been free of emotion, direct and quite specific. I really don't see how one could take such offence to someone that took the time to listen, the time to write some ideas on how to improve.

BadOrange #1716549 07/19/11 04:13 PM
S
Saul Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BadOrange
I wish there was something positive to say about your music but it is extremely juvenile, immature and cliche and as such...

You really wish that upon a falling star...?

You just cant stand the fact that I get loads of fan mail and that my music is loved by many people.

I know its tough for you, but you have to face reality.

BadOrange #1716551 07/19/11 04:15 PM
S
Saul Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BadOrange
nobody hates you or your music. This is a forum for musicians and people actually want to help. You lack some fundamental skills and your compositions suffer. All my criticisms have been free of emotion, direct and quite specific. I really don't see how one could take such offence to someone that took the time to listen, the time to write some ideas on how to improve.

As I said before, you will never fool me. People like you couldnt care less about me or my music, so stop trying to convience me that you do, its not working.

Saul #1716552 07/19/11 04:16 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Saul
Originally Posted by Mirior
but what about people who sincerely don't find anything they like in your music? Are they not allowed to comment at all?

I dont want to hear a word from them. If you hate my music send me hatemail, but dont disturb my thread...

Even some idiot spewing about how your music is terrible and you're terrible and your parents are terrible rageragerage (something I'm glad I haven't seen anywhere in these forums) can still have valuable points and suggestions on how to improve buried within the hate. If you're looking to improve, it's important to listen to all the feedback you can get, even the one-sided criticism. Ignoring good advice because there wasn't a compliment attached to it is still ignoring good advice.

If you're not looking to improve, well, I'd call that fairly egotistical, but that's a different conversation.

Saul #1716555 07/19/11 04:18 PM
S
Saul Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Improve from Nikolas?

The drivels that he composes, what in the world can I learn from him and his music?

I can't stand his music, its pointless, and very immature and primitive...let me learn from those who can compose better then me, no problem.

Saul #1716562 07/19/11 04:21 PM
What reality would that be ?

You are quite paranoid. It is great you get fan mail. Justin Bieber gets fan mail too. How this invalidates a constructive criticism from someone that works as a composer, that has a masters degree from Juilliard in compsiition , I don't quite get. You also don't need to defend yourself. I left you constructive feedback. Do what you want with it.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why it is , that someone that seems beyond reproach has no career to speak of. Again , none of my business as you've already mentioned how you compose for fun and it is a hobby, I respect that. I just think you are extremely rude to people offering help.

Saul #1716568 07/19/11 04:30 PM
M
M
Improve from Nikolas?

The drivels that he composes, what in the world can I learn from him and his music?

I can't stand his music, its pointless, and very immature and primitive...let me learn from those who can compose better then me, no problem.

Have you ever heard the saying, "A broken clock is right twice a day?" (I disagree with you about the quality of Nikolas's music, but that's beside the point). When I compose a piece, one of the first people I play it to knows absolutely nothing about classical music. Her tastes are completely different than what I'm aiming at, but I ask her for feedback, and I listen to it. I don't take everything she says as gospel, but I think you'd be surprised how many times she raises a good point I hadn't thought of.

Saul #1716574 07/19/11 04:38 PM
L
L
Typical Saul piece, absolutely no structure, sounds like something you might improvise and slap a name on without giving it any thought.

Saul #1716614 07/19/11 05:48 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Improve from Nikolas?

I have notified the mods about this, but in the meantime: How on earth did I enter this thread and this terrible post? i haven't heard this work, haven't posted in this thread (until this point) and I've no idea how on earth your post came to be??? Care to explain, please?

Nikolas #1716638 07/19/11 06:24 PM
S
Saul Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Improve from Nikolas?

I have notified the mods about this, but in the meantime: How on earth did I enter this thread and this terrible post? i haven't heard this work, haven't posted in this thread (until this point) and I've no idea how on earth your post came to be??? Care to explain, please?

Like you have said anything that is less agressive right?
I played you with the same token, but you dont see me running to the mods, I have done nothing wrong.

I guess you cant handle the same treatment you give to others...

Saul #1716640 07/19/11 06:26 PM
S
Saul Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I'm not interested in criticism, I will ignore it from now on. All I want is to share my music with others, period, nothing more and nothing less, I hope people here can respect that.

Saul #1716644 07/19/11 06:31 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Improve from Nikolas?

I played you with the same token, but you dont see me running to the mods, I have done nothing wrong.

This is a moderated place (like every forum I've been to be honest). Mods and admins are here to moderate things and try to keep it civilized. It seems reasonable to ask them to quiet things down. If you feel I've said something as aggressive as the things you say to me by all means notify the mods yourself.

Personally I find that I attempted to offer feedback in many different parts of a music work (the score, the recording, the music), and you turned everything down in a most aggressive and insulting manner. I still fail to see how I was treated with the same token or treatment.

Nikolas #1716647 07/19/11 06:36 PM
S
Saul Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Improve from Nikolas?

This is a moderated place (like every forum I've been to be honest). Mods and admins are here to moderate things and try to keep it civilized. It seems reasonable to ask them to quiet things down. If you feel I've said something as aggressive as the things you say to me by all means notify the mods yourself.

Personally I find that I attempted to offer feedback in many different parts of a music work (the score, the recording, the music), and you turned everything down in a most aggressive and insulting manner. I still fail to see how I was treated with the same token or treatment.

I fail to understand why I cant share my music here without been forced to accept or read criticism of some members here, I'm not interested in it. I do music for fun, and for joy and pleasure, period.

I'm not interested in the formality of things, please let it be and respect that.

That's my only request.

Saul #1716648 07/19/11 06:36 PM
R
R
Let it go Saul. Those who offer 'helpful' criticism when it comes to the arts are trying to show you how they create. Which is unhelpful in any art. Why? Because it's subjective! Something many on these forums either don't get or don't want to get.

They compare and contrast to what they were taught was good or bad - that in itself is useless in the arts as good and bad are judged by stodgy types who, like you suggested, have problems all their own.

My suggestion is to stop posting your music here and cast your pearls where they won't be cast aside.

Rachel9 #1716650 07/19/11 06:37 PM
S
Saul Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Rachel9
Let it go Saul. Those who offer 'helpful' criticism when it comes to the arts are trying to show you how they create. Which is unhelpful in any art. Why? Because it's subjective! Something many on these forums either don't get or don't want to get.

They compare and contrast to what they were taught was good or bad - that in itself is useless in the arts as good and bad are judged by stodgy types who, like you suggested, have problems all their own.

My suggestion is to stop posting your music here and cast your pearls where they won't be cast aside.

Finally a voice of reason, Thanks!!!

Saul #1716658 07/19/11 06:51 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This is NOT a reply to Saul!

I have provided feedback to Saul, both positive and negative. (a couple of examples can be found Here and Here. That, along with my 'drivel' (the tonal one that Saul linked in his other thread) should provide an idea that I'm not obsessed with a person I don't know, have not met and cannot judge. I judge music works.

Now, on a further thought, if someone is offering his works to the public, like it or not, they should be ready to receive any kind of criticism! Can you imagine Britney Spears whining that people do not like her voice? Or Sir Paul McCartney complaining that people do not like a song he did? A public voice and a public work is exactly that: public. As others have said, if the criticism is driven by hate, or revenge, or idiocy, or ignorance, one can simply ignore it. If the criticism is driven by more 'noble' ideas, then why not take something into account?

Rachel: The idea of learning itself is to analyse, see what others did and follow (or go the opposite direction). In fact one could argue that Saul's works follow that which he considers good against bad. Of course everyone has issues, but it really depends if they take it out on others or not really! laugh

Anyhow, it's getting late here in Greece, so I will crash in a little while.

Rachel9 #1716663 07/19/11 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Rachel9

if music is so subjective, why do thousands of people take lessons in piano , composition, theory , orchestration ? Saul is trying to recreate a style of music that has been done before so there is a wealth of music to compare it against and because the music he writes is harking back to a period where there were conventions , giving feedback can be quite objective. Not to mention much of what is said to him is universal approaches to composition in every form of media from writing to moving making.

I do agree that if he isn't interested in feedback, why even bother. His music leaves much to be desired. It offers nothing new which is not so bad for an amateur composer like Saul as I think he is exploring tonal music as a beginner should but when he tries to recreate styles by invoking the tonality and form from previous eras, it is quite easy to pinpoint the weaknesses. Just unfortunate that his ego impedes his progress.

I think he could be exponentially bettter if he was more focused, listened to people that know more and approach it with a bit of humility. I honestly don't get how any composer can have an ego these days.

Nikolas #1716666 07/19/11 07:01 PM
S
Saul Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
This is NOT a reply to Saul!

I have provided feedback to Saul, both positive and negative. (a couple of examples can be found Here and Here. That, along with my 'drivel' (the tonal one that Saul linked in his other thread) should provide an idea that I'm not obsessed with a person I don't know, have not met and cannot judge. I judge music works.

Now, on a further thought, if someone is offering his works to the public, like it or not, they should be ready to receive any kind of criticism! Can you imagine Britney Spears whining that people do not like her voice? Or Sir Paul McCartney complaining that people do not like a song he did? A public voice and a public work is exactly that: public. As others have said, if the criticism is driven by hate, or revenge, or idiocy, or ignorance, one can simply ignore it. If the criticism is driven by more 'noble' ideas, then why not take something into account?

Rachel: The idea of learning itself is to analyse, see what others did and follow (or go the opposite direction). In fact one could argue that Saul's works follow that which he considers good against bad. Of course everyone has issues, but it really depends if they take it out on others or not really! laugh

Anyhow, it's getting late here in Greece, so I will crash in a little while.

It would be nice, to give it a rest, Nikolas. I have no beef with anyone here, I just don’t trust people who previously showed that they couldn’t care less about me as a person, and now somehow try to 'help' me with my music.

Relationships just like music requires harmony. I have many times experienced extreme hate and terrible behavior from some members from different sites who showed themselves as lambs hiding their wolf characters. In fact you yourself not too long ago said that you couldn’t care less if I returned to this site at the time of my absence.

So if you don’t care about me as a person, why should you care about me as a musician, something just doesn’t add up.

Now perhaps you can understand why I dislike your comments and Orange's.

Sincerity makes all the difference…

Last edited by Saul; 07/19/11 07:02 PM.
J
J
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
Very pretty with some interesting harmonic turns. However, I'm still listening and I couldn't hum the melody to you. Also, the piece is half over before there's any significant textural change. The second half is a bit more interesting than the first. Good luck.

I agree with Steve on this one. I liked the begin just as much as the end though, If there is any one thing I would say, it would be that I would have made it a bit shorter. But still, good work

JorgeBol #1717087 07/20/11 09:18 AM
S
Saul Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by JorgeBol
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
Very pretty with some interesting harmonic turns. However, I'm still listening and I couldn't hum the melody to you. Also, the piece is half over before there's any significant textural change. The second half is a bit more interesting than the first. Good luck.

I agree with Steve on this one. I liked the begin just as much as the end though, If there is any one thing I would say, it would be that I would have made it a bit shorter. But still, good work

Thank you.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission