2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Hey im curios about the ABRSM grade that a piece would have. I'll post the link with the pdf. Its Canon in D. Please analyze it and estimate its grade in ABRSM.
Thanks!
http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=26797#

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I don't know if they would accept this for a piano exam; I really really doubt it.

I am in a country where music like the ABRSM's eight grades is spread over ten grades instead, so I might be mistaken - please don't think that my analysis is correct. If somebody who uses AB answers, then ignore my rambling.

It's harder than it sounds because the original wasn't written for piano - some of the things are hard to reach and clumsy on the piano, even though they're pretty easy for the orchestra. With all that said: I would call it "mostly grade 3 or 4, but with some grade 6-like parts thrown in"

(I'm a piano teacher.)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's difficult to analyze because it's a very awkward arrangement. Too many 10ths and unplayable intervals in the bass, etc...

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Originally Posted by Kreisler
It's difficult to analyze because it's a very awkward arrangement. Too many 10ths and unplayable intervals in the bass, etc...

I guess that would make it a grade 11. smile

O
OP Offline
O

I'm about half way into it and i really make gymnastics with my right hand for those 10ths... Its really hard to get them... Can you guys point me to a better/more enjoyable arrangement of Canon D?

Last edited by Ovidiu M; 07/17/11 12:13 AM.
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by david_a

It's harder than it sounds because the original wasn't written for piano - some of the things are hard to reach and clumsy on the piano, even though they're pretty easy for the orchestra. With all that said: I would call it "mostly grade 3 or 4, but with some grade 6-like parts thrown in"

I dunno -- I would suggest that at no point in the piece are the fingering challenges less acute than in, say, Stenhammer's Molto Tranquilo, which was in last season's gr. 6. I would be inclined to say mostly gr. 6 with completely unplayable parts thrown in.

Having said that, ABRSM grading is (in my view) often hard to fathom.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ovidiu M

I'm about half way into it and i really make gymnastics with my right hand for those 10ths... Its really hard to get them... Can you guys point me to a better/more enjoyable arrangement of Canon D?
Yes, certainly. The original string orchestra version is the best and most enjoyable; you should play piano music on the piano and leave this piece for orchestras to do. Maybe (I haven't seen it but I never looked) there could be an arrangement of this for piano duet - two piano players together could hit all or at least most of the notes, and it might even sound OK - but still not half as good as the orchestra does.

I'm not against arrangements - some orchestra music can be re-written for piano in a more-or-less-successful way - but in my opinion this piece just plain doesn't work as a piano solo. It seems that every arrangement is either impossible to play, or is not enjoyable because most of the good parts got left out in an attempt to make it do-able.

(Please believe Kevin's grade estimate over mine - clearly he knows more than I do about ABRSM's music lists.)

(I'm a piano teacher.)
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I agree that it's not easy to do this piece on piano. I heard a rumour that it was originally written for organ before being re-done for strings. If that's the case, I'd be interested to know what the organ version looked like.

I've fiddled with making a piano arrangment of my own, but it's difficult to find the right balance between playability and capturing the original feel of the piece.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by kevinb
I agree that it's not easy to do this piece on piano. I heard a rumour that it was originally written for organ before being re-done for strings. If that's the case, I'd be interested to know what the organ version looked like.

I've fiddled with making a piano arrangment of my own, but it's difficult to find the right balance between playability and capturing the original feel of the piece.
Exactly. And people who play it, play it because they want to capture the original feel - which means playability goes out the window.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The more advanced version of Canon is about Grade 5-6 level. However if you are more of a beginner you can download a simplified version free from g major music theory.

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by samasap
The more advanced version of Canon is about Grade 5-6 level. However if you are more of a beginner you can download a simplified version free from g major music theory.

I am more of a beginner but i see i can learn fairly easy this one;) Thank you any way for the suggestion!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission