Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
137 registered members (Aydan, ALEXANDER DYKER, Beowulf, BbAltered, AlphaBravoCharlie, Beemer, Angelos58, anotherscott, accordeur, 35 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? #1653440
04/03/11 12:07 AM
04/03/11 12:07 AM
H
hengyu Offline OP
hengyu  Offline OP
H

I've taken a strong interest in Bach's keyboard concerto in D minor along with several others such as Chopin's piano concertos, and I want to have an orchestra track to play the piano with if I were to learn these pieces...

Is it possible to obtain audio tracks that only consist of the orchestral parts so I can play along with it? Or even somehow create them?

I'm a mere teenager, I cannot hire an orchestra nor purchase expensive software for this... Any idea what I should do?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: hengyu] #1653443
04/03/11 12:14 AM
04/03/11 12:14 AM
Adam Coleman Offline
Adam Coleman  Offline

you could enter a competition, if you get far enough in it then you get to play with orchestra.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." - S. Rachmaninoff
Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: hengyu] #1653448
04/03/11 12:20 AM
04/03/11 12:20 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by hengyu
I've taken a strong interest in Bach's keyboard concerto in D minor along with several others such as Chopin's piano concertos, and I want to have an orchestra track to play the piano with if I were to learn these pieces...

Is it possible to obtain audio tracks that only consist of the orchestral parts so I can play along with it? Or even somehow create them?

I'm a mere teenager, I cannot hire an orchestra nor purchase expensive software for this... Any idea what I should do?

There is an entire series of recordings under the name of "Music Minus One" which records only the orchestra parts so that instrumentalists can play along with a (recorded) orchestra.

Go to their website :

MMO

and you'll see that they have over 500 recordings of accompaniments just for piano, along with accompaniments for voice and for many other instruments.

Some people like them: they are recordings of real orchestras, with the full parts recorded
Some people hate them: you have to adjust your interpretation to that of the recording, and the orchestras and conductors are not necessarily the world's best
but they can be helpful to some who can accept them for what they are.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: hengyu] #1653480
04/03/11 01:27 AM
04/03/11 01:27 AM
H
Hakki Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hakki  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H

Many years ago (and yes this MMO company was offering these on cassette tapes then) I bought Mozart, Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky concertos. I remember hating from them then.

Things like, the tick sound of the conductor when orchestra was not playing, not being able to adjust the speed of the tape to adopt my piano's tuning, quickly faded away my enthusiasm.
In later years, with the advance of technology, I tried recording from the tapes to a computer and was able to adjust the tuning and get rid of those tick sounds. Even then, I didn't like the idea of trying to keep up with an interpretation that is imposed on you.

Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: Hakki] #1653489
04/03/11 01:51 AM
04/03/11 01:51 AM
Down Under
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member
currawong  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Down Under
Originally Posted by Hakki
Many years ago (and yes this MMO company was offering these on cassette tapes then) I bought Mozart, Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky concertos.
I have MMO Mozart K491 on LP record. smile

Du holde Kunst...
Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: BruceD] #1653511
04/03/11 02:55 AM
04/03/11 02:55 AM
H
hengyu Offline OP
hengyu  Offline OP
H

Originally Posted by BruceD

There is an entire series of recordings under the name of "Music Minus One" which records only the orchestra parts so that instrumentalists can play along with a (recorded) orchestra.

Go to their website :

MMO

and you'll see that they have over 500 recordings of accompaniments just for piano, along with accompaniments for voice and for many other instruments.

Some people like them: they are recordings of real orchestras, with the full parts recorded
Some people hate them: you have to adjust your interpretation to that of the recording, and the orchestras and conductors are not necessarily the world's best

Regards,

I can't seem to find what I want and the fact that the products of this site requires purchase put me off, I don't see myself paying for this... Another other possibilities to explore?

Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: hengyu] #1653545
04/03/11 06:04 AM
04/03/11 06:04 AM
Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Varcon  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
Do you have any recording ability? When learning the Schumann concerto I recorded the second piano part so that I could practise with it and that allowed me to do it a tempo I could manage until I got it up to speed. Also, hearing the second part helped so that when the teacher was accompanying me I wasn't so thrown off by the additional sound.

I have several MMO accompaniment discs. The inflexibility disturbs me. I used one for the Schumann Quintet so that the strings would not throw me off when they were playing. I went over the required tempo and when the quartet showed up to practise, after the first run through I was asked to slow down and that made it more comfortable. The MMO did help me prepare for that but I think one must use them judiciously.

Ralph

Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: hengyu] #1653547
04/03/11 06:19 AM
04/03/11 06:19 AM
Istanbul
Batuhan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Batuhan  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Istanbul
I make my backing tracks myself this is the only way if you dont want to pay

learn sibelius 6
and learn about vst instruments also you need a midi piano i suggest you to cmeuf80 i use. And learn some recording tips. There you go you can record your own backing tracks for any piano concertos with this path.

Sorry for my English, I know it sucks, but I'm trying to improve.

Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: hengyu] #1653601
04/03/11 08:19 AM
04/03/11 08:19 AM
United States
M
MzrtFan Offline
MzrtFan  Offline
M

United States
I bought a concerto from the Dowani 3 Tempi Play Along series (I think I found it on Amazon). It comes with the full orchestra recording, plus the piano part recorded separately on slower tempo to show you how it should be played. The orchestra part is also recorded as a piano arrangement on slower tempo so you can practice with it before playing with the orchestra recording.

It works good and it's fun - at least for amateurs like me who will never be able to play with a real orchestra. : ) It can be a little annoying to listen to the ticking during the solo sections, and you have to adjust your playing to fit with the orchestra. But it's better than nothing, at least for me anyway...

Last edited by MzrtFan; 04/03/11 08:25 AM.
Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: hengyu] #1653647
04/03/11 09:43 AM
04/03/11 09:43 AM
Seattle area, WA
gooddog Offline
5000 Post Club Member
gooddog  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Seattle area, WA
I prepared the Bach D minor to perform with an orchestra. I used the Music Minus One recordings and found them to be a useful tool.

Drawbacks: you have to keep perfect tempo to match the recording. The recordings aren't the best. MMO comes with two CD's, one in a slow tempo and one at target tempo. I wish it had an even slower tempo to help during the early stages.

Benefits: you have to keep perfect tempo to match the recording - in other words, it reveals your inconsistencies. You thoroughly learn your entrances and you become very familiar with the orchestral part which make for a much more confident performance.

I'd recommend using MMO if you are going to eventually play with live musicians. If you just want to play it with recordings at home, you may find the rigidity of the recordings very frustrating.

Best regards,

Deborah
Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: hengyu] #1653682
04/03/11 10:57 AM
04/03/11 10:57 AM
H
hengyu Offline OP
hengyu  Offline OP
H

I'd like to point out that I am by no means a performer or a pianist good enough for competitions.

I'm merely seeking enjoyment by playing a piano concerto or two, I love symphonic music but never got the chance to participate in any, the only instrument I know is the piano and I'm not even very good at it.

Edit: I found what I want on the Music Minus One site, but it's rather pricey and I doubt I am able to purchase any of them at all...

Last edited by hengyu; 04/03/11 11:06 AM.
Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: Varcon] #1653699
04/03/11 11:20 AM
04/03/11 11:20 AM
Haverhill, Massachusetts
J
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member
John Citron  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Originally Posted by Varcon
Do you have any recording ability? When learning the Schumann concerto I recorded the second piano part so that I could practise with it and that allowed me to do it a tempo I could manage until I got it up to speed. Also, hearing the second part helped so that when the teacher was accompanying me I wasn't so thrown off by the additional sound.

I have several MMO accompaniment discs. The inflexibility disturbs me. I used one for the Schumann Quintet so that the strings would not throw me off when they were playing. I went over the required tempo and when the quartet showed up to practise, after the first run through I was asked to slow down and that made it more comfortable. The MMO did help me prepare for that but I think one must use them judiciously.

Ralph

Yup, I agree. I've been playing their interpretation of the Mozart Piano Quartets. Great music, but geeze do they take them kind of fast. I also noticed that they sometimes cut the rests too short in a few places, which messes me up. I first thought it was me, which is usually the case, but with these pieces, it's the recording because I can hear a click noise as just before the recording kicks in again.

They're not perfect, but they sure are a lot of fun to play along with, and are a good learning tool. I found that they are great for sight reading and for learning to play along with other people because you have to listen carefully to the other parts. Besides, where I live there's a darth of classically trained musicians, so it's difficult to find anyone interested in doing some chamber music.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: BruceD] #1653780
04/03/11 01:05 PM
04/03/11 01:05 PM
London
F
feebeeliszt Offline
feebeeliszt  Offline
F

London

Go to their website :

MMO

Regards,

Thank you Bruce. It sounds interesting...

I must be blind or something - I couldn't find the Mozart Piano Concerto No. 23 in A which I will be performing. I think I will just murmur the second piano part for now...

http://www.youtube.com/user/feebeeliszt
The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides! - Schnabel
Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: feebeeliszt] #1653817
04/03/11 02:38 PM
04/03/11 02:38 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by feebee_liszt
[...]
I must be blind or something - I couldn't find the Mozart Piano Concerto No. 23 in A which I will be performing. I think I will just murmur the second piano part for now...

Here it is :

Mozart: Concerto No. 23

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: BruceD] #1654102
04/04/11 04:48 AM
04/04/11 04:48 AM
H
hengyu Offline OP
hengyu  Offline OP
H

Originally Posted by feebee_liszt
[...]

Here it is :

Mozart: Concerto No. 23

Regards,

I was looking for this, and the price is really unaffordable for my case...

Re: Orchestra backup tracks for piano concertos? [Re: hengyu] #1716308
07/19/11 10:24 AM
07/19/11 10:24 AM
Essex UK
S
stephen22 Offline
stephen22  Offline
S

Essex UK

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
John Lewis Christmas ad 2018
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 06:40 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,342
Posts2,761,353
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission