2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (1957, Bellicapelli, anotherscott, Blague, btcomm, 17 invisible), 583 guests, and 378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Oh wow, your wishes and messages are so lovely to read this morning (after I finished changing the world over in teachers' forum wink ). Thank you all so much for entering into this exciting moment. It's not here yet, I think it may come tomorrow. I've been gradually saying my goodbyes to t121, it got me started on this journey.

I'm very happy to read comments that it is a good piano and that the rep I play deserves the upgrade (I was unsure...). It was the soft pedal, not the practice pedal that I confused, the muting was a subtle effect but enough to make me panic! I kept trying the beginnning of Dr Gradus with the bass Cs sustained laugh In this model the practice pedal is not a pedal but a lever near-ish to your left knee, and yes I wish it didn't have this piece of stupid felt inside (I did look) and maybe I can ask the tech about removing it...? The piano dealer did say that the inclusion of the PP is a blot on the design of upper end verticals, ie interferes with the perfection of the design.

Tell you what else is marvelous - the music desk! Hurray, I can do away with my construction of boxes and cardboard to raise the desk because this one is at the right height for me, much more comfy. And big wide and solid for my hardback clothbound Henle Beethove sonatas (...that I was given (you can weep, hehe)) which hardly stayed on the t121 little hinged flap of wood.

The shop gave me a lovely big discount and is taking the old piano as a trade in. It's a nice feeling to believe you've got a good deal whatever the truth of it. I can't believe I went shopping in $7 shoes in a borrowed car to buy such a good piano... I'm still grinnning. Ha! who needs cars and shoes?!

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Your excitement is contagious! I feel your joy.. and that makes me want to upgrade too. laugh That won't happen though for the next 5 years (the duration of my PhD program). If and when I get my degree, and if and when I find a decent job, the first things I'll do are 1) Take my wife to Europe (especially Vienna, which is my fav place in the world)and 2) Buy myself a better piano! Hopefully a grand piano. One final upgrade will be made when I'm ready for my big Bosie..but that's probably a decade or two away at the very least. laugh Ah, wishful thinking!

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Canonie
yes I wish it didn't have this piece of stupid felt inside (I did look) and maybe I can ask the tech about removing it...?
Don't bother removing it unless it actually creates a problem. If you sell the piano in the future, you want it to have all its bits intact. Just don't use the practice blanket unless you're forced to. smile

(I'm a piano teacher.)

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Way to go Canonie! Congratulations!

PS: Be sure to keep your expensive lance away from your new piano! laugh

Carl

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations! What a thrill it is, getting a new instrument.

I do remember the moment my mind shifted from simply coveting my current one to realizing I was going to buy it; that was both scary and exhilarating. I kept wondering if I was crazy to do it. Now, years later, I think it was a good decision.

Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
wr, you describe my feelings perfectly, hope i feel the same in a few years.

david a, that makes good sense, thanks. There are 3 neighbouring houses next to me, and 3 neighbouring pianos laugh Noise is not a problem here.

LOL about practising shopping!

Re posting a pic - oh well, maybe I will... my room is not very photogenic, we'll see. Yes I know I really should smile

The Lance is sheathed and in the shed, I don't do the sword-dance routine quite as often these days (danger of losing fingers and all that).

L85, the contagion was caught from my teacher who went to shop to try my piano, then phoned to checked whether I'd taken the plunge yet.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats Canonie. thumb It is so much fun to get a new piano. If you are having any second thoughts/buyers remorse I can assure you they will evaporate the moment your new piano is delivered. If fact I can't wait to read your excited first day post!! yippie

Ps. we don't care what your room looks like, we want to see your piano. pics plu-easssse whome

Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Its All in the Game- KJarrett trans.
Gnossienne No1 E.Satie

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Congratulations!!! How exciting! A scary moment handing over the money - but when your piano is delivered you will barely remember that!

A lovely model too smile I'll join the chorus asking for pics when your baby arrives!

Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I was a bit sad last night, knowing that it was our last night together, me and my first acoustic (student) piano. But NOT SAD NOW laugh

It's Here laugh The piano seller said last week "this piano model plays itself". Yeah sure, publicity hype... But it's true! A number of technical issues that I Never resolved; working and working them over on my T121 have fallen at the first play. Wow, I was so ready for this piano.

What is now possible:
- the light RH thirds in Eintritt (could never get them under control)
- fast light even 16ths in Dr Gradus
- the voicing of 3 parts to my satisfaction in bwv 940
- voicing top part of Grieg Arietta (never had any range before, I had 2 choices - either all loud, or all submerged grrrr)
- meatier climaxes in Brahms laugh

I do wonder if I am benefiting from working hard on a hard piano, and after I get used to the new piano the above challenges (the first 2 anyway) will be as difficult as they always were...?

I still can't operate sustain pedal, the range, the distance of range from bottom are different. I'll get used to it.

When I come back into the room I can smell the piano! And thanks LF and JimF, I read your comments before and enjoyed them.

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What do we want?
Pikkies!

When do we want them?
Well, when you've got a tiny bit of spare time, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, when you're taking a little break from playing...

smile

Du holde Kunst...
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, where .... are ..... the ...... pictures!

Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Due to relentless pressure from members, and in spite of nearly-dead-camera and poor night-time lighting, the following pic is now available for view.
[Linked Image]
It looks bigger in real life. You can see the Sostenuto Pedal peeping out from under bench. I couldn't get the music desk to show although you can faintly see the vertical bars that are its edges.

It feels a bit funny showing my piano to all and sundry blush it's done now.

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is one of the most beautiful pianos I've ever seen! I am jealous! I wish you many years of enjoying music with this amazing piano!!

P.S. Lock your windows, lock your doors I might be tempted to steal this baby for myself :P

P.S.^2, when do we get a recording of you playing it? I'd love to hear how it sounds!

Last edited by Teodor; 07/18/11 09:34 AM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Wow, Canonie, that really is wonderful! You will make more wonderful music than you have ever made before.

Take a picture tomorrow morning to show the lovely Colour of the wood edge of the music rack, I will be waiting! smile It is wonderful to have a full size music desk to put all your music on.. The piano in real life is massive, and tall, and more than impressive. Wow!! That's awesome.

BTW, I played that prelude before.it's very nice piece.

Canonie Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
...<runs to piano, squints at ?mock wood grain>... do you think that's real wood? Hmm not sure now. I've just being playing a Grieg Nocturne - a glorious experience on this machine (as to what it sounds like...depends on whether I'm listening well doesn't it.)

Teodor, if you can swim all this way you deserve the piano smile Having a new piano may inspire me to buy a recording device at last, but I make no promises yet.

Edit: the prize for identifying the music has already gone - to Rotom (congratulations). I didn't think it would be that easy.

Last edited by Canonie; 07/18/11 10:13 AM.

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
<what!!!!????> there was a prize, and a competition!? Yay, I won, I won!!! (sorry)

A good recording device is the Zoom H4n, which is what i have to do recordings. It is easy to use, and has good battery life, and recording quality is great!

Don't worry about the wood, it still looks lovely anyway. Congratulations again, Canonie.

Edit: the piece was praeludium (prelude), from Bach WTC book 2, number 12 in F minor.

Last edited by Rotom; 07/18/11 10:26 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wow, Canonie! That is one serious piano!!!

What you said about the technical issues disappearing with your new action--yes! yes! yes! See? It wasn't you! Although all of that striving to get it right has certainly helped get you where you are! smile As to the sustain pedal, apart from learning to make it do your bidding, it can also be adjusted to your liking to some degree, but better to play it the way it is for now, and see how you get used to it.

Congrats!!! Thanks for the pic!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I was out of town and missed the good news! Congratulations. It's a beauty!

Best regards,

Deborah
O
O
That book seems to be magically suspended over there... So nice;)
May that beautifull piano give you endless hours of pleasure:)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Beautiful, enjoy it!

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
How do they do it?
by sheana - 04/23/21 07:54 AM
How to Play Blues Piano
by BB666 - 04/23/21 03:02 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,486
Posts3,085,687
Members101,286
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission