2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (c++, brdwyguy, 36251, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano, Carey, 16 invisible), 502 guests, and 342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1715110 07/17/11 03:07 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
an astoundingly sensitive rendition by Japanese pianist Aya Nagatomi

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
That was very beautiful Chobeetinov, thank-you. It was much softer and a slower than the usual interpretations, but it was very seductive and magical. Nice to hear a different take on it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very romantic, sensuous, almost washing over the rhythm (well I know what I mean). Excellent video and playing, thank you for your contribution to my wonderfully musical day.

My uninformed choice at 3:48 would be to increase tempo more gradually, the sudden fast tempo disrupted my enjoyment a little. I wonder what score says, and whether she meant to increase quite so much here...?

Hmmm there is an Aussie video somewhere that I remember as a slow version too. I'll see if I can find it. Do you know Aya in person chobeet? And do you play La Campanella?

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Canonie #1715389 07/17/11 11:47 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Here it is. Different version and the sound and acoustics are not quite as nice (vid is basic too), but it is another "slow" version. What do you think? It's interesting to compare the Busoni version to the original.

Since I'll never play this piece, this is the only way I get to enjoy it smile

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
Canonie #1715392 07/17/11 11:48 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Canonie
Very romantic, sensuous, almost washing over the rhythm (well I know what I mean). Excellent video and playing, thank you for your contribution to my wonderfully musical day.

My uninformed choice at 3:48 would be to increase tempo more gradually, the sudden fast tempo disrupted my enjoyment a little. I wonder what score says, and whether she meant to increase quite so much here...?

Hmmm there is an Aussie video somewhere that I remember as a slow version too. I'll see if I can find it. Do you know Aya in person chobeet? And do you play La Campanella?

No, I don't know Aya Nagatomi in person but I wish sometime I could see her in concert. She is absolutely extraordinary (very sensitive). No, I do not play La Campanella yet. My teacher has told me over an over again he would like me to learn the Busoni transcription of it especially for Liszt's 200th birthday and I have messed around a bit with the score but at the moment I don't really have time...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Aha, looks like my edit was a good choice then laugh (see Busoni version I added to previous post). The player says in the comments that the Busoni is not more difficult than the original.

[Linked Image]
Alex Ross.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
OOOOH!! Yes, you should learn the Busoni version. Don't be TOO worried about squeezing it in for the 200th year anniversary for Liszt - Damon, please wait until you read my whole sentence before responding wink - because ANY year is a good year to play Liszt's music! I just don't play Liszt because he's better off without me butchering his music...

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
OOOOH!! Yes, you should learn the Busoni version. Don't be TOO worried about squeezing it in for the 200th year anniversary for Liszt - Damon, please wait until you read my whole sentence before responding wink - because ANY year is a good year to play Liszt's music! I just don't play Liszt because he's better off without me butchering his music...

Hahah. You know, not all Liszt is as absurdly hard as La Campanella. (another Liszt etude that makes Chopin seem easy)

Damon #1715436 07/18/11 01:48 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by Damon

Hahah. You know, not all Liszt is as absurdly hard as La Campanella. (another Liszt etude that makes Chopin seem easy)

Once you break it down, La Campanella isn't absurdly hard. What's absurdly hard- Feux Follets...

Fall 2012 Rep:
Polonaise Op. 53 - Chopin
Ballade Op. 47 - Chopin
Piano Sonata K.333 - Mozart
WTC Prelude and Fugue in D Major, Bk 1 - Bach
Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues - Rzewski
Piano Concerto No. 1 - Liszt
Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano - Cage
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by thaiguy20fromla

Once you break it down, La Campanella isn't absurdly hard. What's absurdly hard- Feux Follets...

Well I'm happy for you. They're both on my "not in this lifetime" list. frown

P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

And Mazeppa and Paganini Etude no. 6 "Variations on a Theme" are even harder!

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by chobeethaninov

I thought, comparatively speaking, Etude 6 to be a lot easier than all the other mentioned pieces. In other words, I have performed it quite a long time ago with good results while I don't think I'll ever be able to play the others

Damon #1715862 07/18/11 06:40 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

I thought, comparatively speaking, Etude 6 to be a lot easier than all the other mentioned pieces. In other words, I have performed it quite a long time ago with good results while I don't think I'll ever be able to play the others

Oh I guess I'm wrong then...I've never played Etude 6 but I always thought it looked pretty fierce

M
M
Stunning. My favorite version of a piece I often find irritating and garish

MAH!
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Oh I guess I'm wrong then...I've never played Etude 6 but I always thought it looked pretty fierce

Not necessarily. It could be that my biggest weakness is not your biggest weakness. smile

T
T

The Variations aren't staggering, but they're impressive. Feux Follet's requirements of both touch and precision are incredibly difficult, and Mazeppa is simply a beast of a technical mix-bag...

La Campanella actually isn't so bad once you actually have it learned. Although for me, I memorized the piece in 4 days and spent the next 6 months working on it laugh. Seriously, try reading through it slowly a few times.

Fall 2012 Rep:
Polonaise Op. 53 - Chopin
Ballade Op. 47 - Chopin
Piano Sonata K.333 - Mozart
WTC Prelude and Fugue in D Major, Bk 1 - Bach
Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues - Rzewski
Piano Concerto No. 1 - Liszt
Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano - Cage

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dealer Reduction?
by brdwyguy - 04/11/21 11:55 AM
Extra notes on old Sohmer
by TimM_980 - 04/11/21 11:46 AM
[Poll] Which exercise book do you do and why?
by meghdad - 04/11/21 10:23 AM
Recording Acoustic Piano
by JeffM123 - 04/11/21 10:14 AM
Budget Stage/portable Piano
by Amy H - 04/11/21 09:11 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,218
Posts3,081,065
Members101,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission